Fallen Chinese Chestnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A fairly large Chinese Chestnut has fallen at our camp. These were planted years ago by the original builders so we want to save as many as possible. The tree had been leaning for years so I'm not surprised it went down. The question is the remaining stem. Adults and children frequent this area in the Summer so safety is a major concern. I put a 3/4" rope about 2/3 up in the tree and gave it a strong pull and there was no sign of movement. I was hoping we might be able to remove the large branches hanging out to reduce the weight and save the tree but am really leaning toward removal. What do you think? The last photo kept going sideways when I uploaded it.

The stem that went down is about 24" at the base and there will be two 9' logs as well as some smaller pieces we will save.
20160930_173426.jpg 20160930_173455.jpg 20160930_173529.jpg 20161005_132030.jpg 20161005_132059.jpg

The base of the tree and root system has been compromised, I would recommend removal. If you wanted to save it, remove the two large lower limbs and then fence out an area around the tree to prevent entry into the potential drop zone (impractical but not unheard of). By fencing out the drop zone, you eliminate the risk because you've eliminated the targets.

Well, it's been decided to take the other tree down as well. Did some cutting today and have two 9' logs from 24" to about 18" diameter and we should get another from the second tree. So - is it worth getting this wood sawn into lumber? I've worked with some small pieces from another tree and it looks something like sassafras.

Back