False Advertising Tillotson Carburetor 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prioritytree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Napa County, Northern California, North Bay area,
I was reading the forums here before buying a new Carb for my Stihl 034.
Noticed positive reviews of the Tillotson Carb here.
So I looked and looked online. Found one site claiming to have 'new Tillotson carbs'
https://www.jthomasparts.com/615-668-carburetor?gclid=CNe29ayQqtQCFdRyfgodt80Ngw

Not really, they are not original Tillotson carbs. They are Aftermarket OEM carb. The picture is false advertising

If you zoom in on the pic, you can see it says "Tillotson' , Ireland.

Their customer rep online told me that the don't even have any Tillotson carbs, that is just a picture they used to represent the 'Sten' carbs they sell , told me they where made over seas, but did not specify the country.

So I just decided to get a ZAMA, since that is what I had on the 034, (zama s19)

Got one on ebay. 20 bucks, new (thats what they say) can anyone be trusted to be honest anymore?

That particular carb will not accept OEM repair kits so it is a bad choice in my mind. I tend to stick to OEM for most parts.

If the price is to good to be true, it probably is. Even have to be careful when people post pictures of what appears to be OEM packaging because the chinese have no problem copying trademarked logos. fuzzy or off color logo is usually a giveaway its a counterfeit part as well.

If the price is to good to be true, it probably is.

Yep. When the carb is $3 more than an OEM kit, it's Chinese. The only time I replace a carb is when there's physical damage--broken parts, corrosion that has eaten into the metal. Other than that, I find the best results long-term with an OEM kit (usually only $3 or $4 more vs Chinese) in an OEM carb.

For example, I got an 041 in a bucket. Was missing the carb altogether. Bought an aftermarket carb, and it wouldn't run worth a crap at 1 1/4 adjustment. I had an identical 041 with OEM carb to compare it to. Same has, same day, etc. OEM carb ran great at somewhere around 1-1 1/4, Bing carb was something wacky like 1 1/2 out L & 3/4 out H. I blame the low precision manufacturing. Admittedly, it did work. But it made me second guess myself through the whole tune.

I've had decent luck with AM carbs. Only one truly bad one: 1127 carb that had the H issue (couldn't lean it out properly). I use them primarily for diagnosing problems but recently left two of them in running saws.
Some are good, some are bad.

If you bring up Tillotson.ie you get to the genuine factory in Ireland & it lists all the carbs & parts +services they have & do.

Apparently, Tilly makes 2 carb lines still. One is true Tilly, and the other is "Tillotson X-change". The latter is apparently just a rebadged China carb, and I believe it's s Zama in this case.

That's basically the $20 Zama with the Tilly top on it.

HK43b's, the one you're looking for, are getting tough to find.

If you bring up Tillotson.ie you get to the genuine factory in Ireland & it lists all the carbs & parts +services they have & do.

They must have been around for a while. Here is a kit made in 1987 and it's from Ireland.
2c7db464246e35c63f03ea2c6c02c5cf.jpg

b66abefe2e59a0bab9647efe629696f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of the cheap junk, but the E-Bay seller didn't do anything wrong on his listing here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carb-Carbur...764620?hash=item465837d48c:g:o4kAAOSwKOJYGumo

They changed the title after I wrote to them, but not much. It is still misleading, it should say something like "replacement for Tillotson" or similar. The item specifics do make clear that it is "Unbranded" and made in China.
I'm not terribly upset. The price was right and I bought it for a Huztl 272xp upgrade of my Rancher 61. I put the carb on the 61 to test it and it runs fine.

Latest posts

Back