Fast growing tree for privacy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern1

Reaction score
We are looking for a tall, fast growing tree to plant in our back yard to allow us some privacy from the new development of homes being built nearby. We'd like to plant a whole row of trees- they can be all the same type of tree or all different. We live in Tacoma, Washington with poor soil drainage. Any suggestions???

One gets into problems when going for a screen and a tall tree. If it gets to a certain hight, the bottom branches start to thin out.

If you are going for an all season line, evergreens may be the way to go. Alaskan cedar (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis) should work.

A shorn hedge can be an option, like cotoneaster. I've done some 12 ft tall.

If a deciduouse line is wanteed, then using big fast growing plants that sucker readily and performing a rotational coppice will keep them in the right size. (Annual removal of several stems to influance suckering to maintain a thick screen)
Some trees to use would be basswood, alder, willow, ash. I am doing this with several species around the course. I realy like the way the big leaves of the basswood give a thick screen.

Aspen Transplanting

Hi mcgovern1.
I live in Coeur d'Alene (about 30 miles east of Spokane) and when we moved into our new house 4 years ago we had the same problem. We planted 3 aspens in our backyard to block our upstairs bedroom window from view. Within 2 years they were tall enough. They are beautiful and do well in our area.

Latest posts

Back