fast growing trees w/o suckers or seeds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michele0068

Reaction score
I would like a nice neat tree for my backyard ,something that grows kinda fast, doesn't leave roots and suckers all over my yard, and is not messy with seed pods, I prefer something purple, has neat bark, or maybe a weeping tree. I like the Purple Ash, Crimson King Maples and the Birch trees (because of their bark), My husband says Maples root into the water lines, so I am not sure what to get . My yard is about average backyard size, so not too big. I also have a pool . Any ideas? Thanks, Michele in Ohio:)

Weeping willow will find it's way into your septic faster than anything. Every one I've ever removed in a yard had that certain aromatic scent.

Michelle,
You didn't say just how big of a tree you're looking for, or if your looking for dense or light shade.

Birch trees are pretty to look at, but fussy. I murdered a couple before I figured out that experts were serious when they said "moist conditions and well amended soils". Birches are native to river banks and other wet environments. It's not impossible to make them grow in the average yard, but it is somewhat of a commitment. Birches are also not much for shade.

From what I've experienced and heard from others, only the Silver Maple is really bad about invading septic and water lines. They do, however, all make those little "helicopter" seeds, about 90% of which seem to pop up into new trees. Maples aren't a good bet, if you're looking for "neat".

Same can be said of Ashes, which have a similar seed, and seem to seed themselves quite readily.

You might consider a Bradford Pear. They have a wonderful flower, in the spring, are relatively fast growing, yet stay to a manageable size (about 60 ft. when mature). They produce a fruit which is smaller than a pea, and I believe is sterile (at least mine has never produced any offspring). There are some relatives of the Bradford, which are also "fruitless", but their names escape me right now. A good nursery could help you there.

Another tree to consider is the Sunburst Locust. Very small leaves that turn a lovely bronze in the fall and practically disappear into the lawn, when they fall. No raking(G). Sunbursts are also thornless, unlike many other Locusts. They provide a nice filtered shade. I believe they are in the 70 to 80 ft range, when mature.

Hope that helps.

Bok

I think that weeping birch (Betula pendula) meets most of your criteria except fast growing - they grow moderately fast. They seed somewhat prolifically, but the seeds are small and easily blown away. In the winter, the twigs are redish brown, and the bark typically birch white.

I have two Bradford Pears in my front yard,I like them very much but I have heard (after I planted them) that they tend to split in the fork. That happened to two of my neighbors with just a strong wind, and I have seen others like that as well. I wanted something a little bigger and a bit more shady than a Pear. The Birch trees sound nice ,how do I know if I can grow one? I am on a hill. I have never had any problems growing anything except Azalea's and Hydrangea's . Thanks for all your help, Michele:)

fast growing trees

your husband is right, they will root into water lines, but so will any tree that gets a chance. If there was one single word to describe tree roots, opportunist would be best. If a water line is broken/leaking, then a tree will find it's way in. However, a tree will not attack a water line to gain entry. A suitable tree for you should be decided on how much space you have for it, consider it's eventual size. If it gets out of control it could cost you money in the future.

Michelle,

Just my two cents worth, as a strictly amateur arborist mind you, but planting a birch tree on a hillside is most likely to be a waste of time, effort and money. A hillside most likely means two things, good drainage and a thin layer of topsoil over clay. Both of these are enemies of Birch trees. Also, the Birches I'm familiar with aren't going to give you any more shade than a Bradford.

If you decide to go ahead a take a roll of the dice, though, amend the soil well and water often during dry spells. "Amending the soil" means adding organic matter, such as peat moss. Dig a hole at least twice as big around as the rootball. Dig the hole deep enough, so that the top of the rootball is even with the surrounding terrain. Backfill with a mixture that is 50/50 peat and dirt.

Clay soil compacts pretty much all on it's own, over time. Birches, which are native to moist, loamy soils, slowly die, in compacted clay soils.
It's a painfull process to watch. I currently have a European White Birch that has just started to get it's lovely white bark, and is unfortunately is also just starting to die, from soil compaction. It still has a few leaves around the bottom, but all the top branches are dead. Ouch! Live and learn.

Back