Fastest Firewood Processor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Walker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone seen or read about "The Wood Chomper", www.chomper.net Lookes to be a great way to process logs into split firewood. With most processors cutting the logs with a blade or chain this unit uses a shear to cut the logs and split them. Anyone used one? Their made out in the P.N.W., at Rainier Hydraulics.

The nice thing about the chomper is that by shearing the wood,it reduces drying time by close to 50%

I saw that in the company promo, but I don't understand why.
The device still splits using wedges, so how can the bucking cut using a shear make such a huge difference?

I also heard that this processor is pretty much useless on some hardwoods and stringy type woods. See other thread on processors in this forum.

Anyone care to explain?

The 2 top I would say are Cord King and Mutlitech. I like the cord kings saw better than the bar saws. You dont have to sharpen it as much and it lighting fast.

The cord master is the fastest. The Chomper SUCKS! I had one a year ago and I hated it so much that I sold it after putting about 75 hours on it. Worst investment you could make if you ask me. If you want more details let me know.

The cord master is the fastest. The Chomper SUCKS! I had one a year ago and I hated it so much that I sold it after putting about 75 hours on it. Worst investment you could make if you ask me. If you want more details let me know.

What were the problems with it?

No I don't have a cord master now. They're over 100k new, so that is sometime in the future. As for the Chomper I had nothin but trouble. I had the automatic version and it was still MORE work than doing wood with a chainsaw and splitter! Besides that all it did was make a mess. the wood would just shatter and crumble. It wouldn't take any big or crooked logs WHATSOEVER. It was forever getting wood stuck in it with no way to get it out. It slides around all over the place, gouges in the ground, WILL NOT pull any decent size tree into at all because the winch sucks, the cables are tiny and break. Basically take every claim that they say it will do, and put a will not do in front of it. They are built pretty well, but they just absolutely suck IMO.

cordmaster all the way

Ive watched my best friend run his cordmaster 36 and that thing is insane!! the carbide blade is alot better than the bar/ chain models the blade stays sharper longer especially for cutting dirty wood. i sure wish i could afford one of them.......as for the chomper , it looks pretty clumsy. i wouldnt waste my money or time on it. id buy me a cordmaster instead.

I have a chomper model 14...only downside is that it can only take about 13.5inch diamter logs...however my supplier supplies me less than that so its not an issue.

other than that its neat.... processes at ground level so that no grapples or equipment like that is needed... it likes maple and birch...not so much with knots..or twisty wood....

main cylinder is a nasty 6inch diameter..it has a 18hp honda v-twin powering it...built like a brick ???? house... its a small unit but weighs in at 3500lbs..lots of huge thick steel used in it...its a bit slow...BUT..requires no maintanance...no silly blades or chains to sharpen... thats the key...and is very portable..its all hydralic powered..it has 12 levers so its gonna take a while to get apt at using it proficiently

will give updates as I use it more... I have only done a few logs so far with it..

Back