Fastest Firewood Processor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a chomper model 14...only downside is that it can only take about 13.5inch diamter logs...however my supplier supplies me less than that so its not an issue.

other than that its neat.... processes at ground level so that no grapples or equipment like that is needed... it likes maple and birch...not so much with knots..or twisty wood....

main cylinder is a nasty 6inch diameter..it has a 18hp honda v-twin powering it...built like a brick ???? house... its a small unit but weighs in at 3500lbs..lots of huge thick steel used in it...its a bit slow...BUT..requires no maintanance...no silly blades or chains to sharpen... thats the key...and is very portable..its all hydralic powered..it has 12 levers so its gonna take a while to get apt at using it proficiently

will give updates as I use it more... I have only done a few logs so far with it..
Adam H where are you located ? If not to far away, I wouldn't mind watching this thing work. Was seriously interested in this unit about 5 years ago . Their was one in New Britain but i didn't take a look.
Spent a day at the cordmaster factory in Smiths Falls a few years back and they are slick.Problem being wood supply,a 1000 cords is a lot of wood to say the least.

52" KODIAK-carbide
NIGHT007.jpg

my 2 cents .
If you are spending this much on anything go and spend a day using one .
I bought a front mount mower from a guy that wouldnt let me try it and ended up returning it and him trying to screw me out of my money.
I went to john deere and they delivered it friday full of gas and said TRY IT then monday we made a deal.
My Stihl dealer tries to lend me saws for the weekend but I know better.:D

Answer

I saw that in the company promo, but I don't understand why.
The device still splits using wedges, so how can the bucking cut using a shear make such a huge difference?

I also heard that this processor is pretty much useless on some hardwoods and stringy type woods. See other thread on processors in this forum.

Anyone care to explain?

The Chomper fractures the wood cells (like capillaries), and enables the wood to dry much faster. Look at the end of a piece of wood that has been sheared and you will see what I mean. Dry or frozen wood make a big mess.
Green poles are the best to use with a Chomper. You almost need two types of processors to get the job done!

Using a chomper

From the look's of it every log you have to fasten a choke cable.If the logs are all stacked up sounds pretty scary to climb around and pull logs off a pile like that.If you are looking for one that is fast with little maint check out a cord king.I would not recomend buying a new one.They are way overpriced and there workmanship sucks,buy a used one that some one else has gone through the refabing.They are SCARY fast but once you have the bugs out there a good machine.I have owned my #54 going on 4 years.Best of luck

From the look's of it every log you have to fasten a choke cable.If the logs are all stacked up sounds pretty scary to climb around and pull logs off a pile like that.If you are looking for one that is fast with little maint check out a cord king.I would not recomend buying a new one.They are way overpriced and there workmanship sucks,buy a used one that some one else has gone through the refabing.They are SCARY fast but once you have the bugs out there a good machine.I have owned my #54 going on 4 years.Best of luck
EXCELLENT ADVICE
here's a video of my 12 year old son running mine
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/WILLIAMFGREENE/?action=view&current=APRIL212007005.flv

chomper owner

I own and operate a chomper in East Texas. I cut all sorts of hardwoods. What I've found,is that when a log has a large knot,or the crotch of a log,hte chomper can have a problem splitting the wood. How I solve this problen,is to cut just prior to the knot or crotch,because the grain in these sections are so twisted that they will not split easy. But by cutting around this section.it splits that section without any effort. As I use a parlor type fireplace,and use shorter lengths of wood (4"to 8") I'm never without firewood for my self,and it makes great kindling. As for being scary,the only place you might get hurt,is if your somewhere behind the chomper where the logs are being pulled up into the chomper,a log can shift very fast and you do not want to be anywhere in this area. I've only been hurt once,and it was my fault. I had a log get into a bind with another log,and tried to undo the bind while the cable still had tension on it. I learned that lesson the hard way,27 stitches. Other than my mistake I've never had a problem,in fact I have my 12 year old grand son work the controls as I work the logs and cable. It's that simple to operate. If you need further info email me "[email protected]"

The problem with some processors is that you cannot resplit the wood so it goes through the splitter and if the pieces are too big then too bad. That is a real problem with some customers. I get my firewood now from a guy with a Multiteck and his pieces are all over the map for size. I often have to split some blocks into 4-5 pieces they are so big. They simply will not fit into my woodstove if I do not split them. I also get an equal number of small pieces. Stuff that is 2" square or less.

My brother's business competes against 2-3 other companies with processors and he keeps getting business because he carefully watches his splits and if the pieces are too big, he grabs them and resplits them. Customers cannot tell him exactly what they like so much about his wood, but he knows it is consistent size.

Also all firewood processor videos are deceptive because they always show nice clean straight logs being used. I would love to see a firewood yard with 1500-2000 cords of logs that look like what those guys always show in their videos. They must be magic trees because I have never seen trees grow that straight in those kinds of quantities. :)

We've had a chomper for almost 10 years. Real work horse, very good customer service and never really needs much. No big expensive replacement parts/repairs.
It is hard on frozen wood. Like all things be prepared and get your stock pile done ahead of time so you don't have to work when it is freezing out either.

Everything in the firewood and logging business is dangerous.
I never thought as the wife of a cutter, the chomper was a threat to him or his crew. In fact I think its better than other stuff we've had to do.

my kids load the conveyor
I've actually loved this machine.
It does work best with a crew of 2 though.
Selling mine, if anyone is interested.

Chomper

Jack +Jill I'm interested in your chomper wood processor. How can I get in touch with you?

chomper

We're in Colorado, we won't be shipping, you would need to come & look at it & haul it yourself.

I can use an SUV to haul the conveyor, need a 1 ton to haul the Chomper, hoping to sell them together.

Hi, Jack+Jill Please give me a call @ 603 279 5720 or send me an email at [email protected] with your phone# so we could talk about the chomper and the price of the chomper and the conveyor. Thanks Lou

Back