Fat bottomed Stihls... (traded my 044 for a 441)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
...You make the sawin' loops go round!

OK, so I was talking about The Masterminded 441 for sale on this site with a friend of mine, and not being able to buy it because of dental work that I am getting done (me, broke). He mentioned that his cousin had a 441R that he was not using after moving to the burbs, and that cousin owed him some cash. He was interested in my DP 044R (AKA, the Ken saw), which I wanted to replace with a 441 because of the vibe. So I suggested a 3-way trade as a joke, but he said he would call his cousin. Well, push come to shove, we did the trade this evening. I got a 4 year old 441R in really great shape in trade for my 044R that is also in great shape. And their debt is now settled.

I like the saw because it is so smooth. It is a big ass saw though. The Troll does not like them for the weight and width, but I have tendonitis and its either this or a Husky 365/72, and I have all these Stihl saws and bars. So, I am happy. No out of pocket cost for me. It is like cutting with a watermelon, but it cuts nicely slung with a 28. Its not the M (M-tronic) or the C (Comfort) model, or the Q model (Quickstop). Just a plain Jane 441R with an easy start grip. No computer to mess with. The R on this is the same as on the 044: dual dawgs, roller, PNW side cover, & 3/4 wrap. Not quite the power that my 044 had with a dual port (CDN 460 Magnum) muffler cover though.

Well, if I had the money... I would have that MM modified 441 M-tronic coming in the mail right now. That has got to be in yet another league above the stock M-tronic 441.

AA league: plain 441
AAA league: 441 C-M
Big league: 441 C-M cut-squish ported...

I suppose I can get this one ported and still live the dream though. Not sure I need more added power. I was after the AV on this saw. A 28 will do me fine for what I cut these days. I was disappointed in the AV on the 461. It has about the same AV as the 440. 661 is the dogs ballacks, but... only if I buy another timber tract and start falling again.

Well, its an imperfect world. I will call my 441 The Fat Troll . I sold my other 361 that was called the Troll Saw. I will keep the 441 with my 310, since you also like those saws so much. I do not have a 290 any more. I also bought an 029 for cheap, but talk about a gutless saw. No amount of mods helped it, so I flipped it. The 029 (non-super) is the real boat anchor of that series, and makes a 290 shine!

Used Husky saws are few and far between here. A new Husky 365 was the other best alternative, but my 036 is rated the same power and I would have to grind out the port covers to make it into a 372. I had a 576 for a while that was smooth as glass, but I sold all my Huskies when I sold my chipper and arbor biz a few years ago. B&C are all different. Husky dealer is a hour from where I live now.

If Your 365 was the XT, that could be modded that way, it had quite a power advantage over the 036 even stock.....

Yes, the 365 x-torq and not the older 365 Super. Putting my Saw Troll hat on here On paper at least, the Stihl 036 and Husq. 365x-torq both have about the same rated HP: 4.6 HP. That's from my Stihl service manual and several US web sites (note that the US Husq. web site does NOT list the HP on the US 365 x-torq). Even the UK 365x-torq model is listed as only having 3.6 kW = 4.8 HP, which is not a lot more than an 036. Which baffled me when I was almost ready to pull the trigger on that saw. Why buy a 70cc saw with 60cc power? The port baffles really destroy the HP in the 365x-torq. According to several guys that have modified them, the 365x-t low end is exactly the same as the 372xp/x-t, and grinding out the baffles gives it the same power. They will not sell the port baffles on a 372 separately w/o the whole cylinder, so you have to grind them out. The main difference at that point would be one less falling dog, and a smaller air filter. And the sticker on the side...

Typical US site selling the 365x-t and rating it with 4.6 HP:

http://www.pantanopowerequipment.com/Husqvarna-365-X-Torq-Chainsaw-70.7cc-4.6hp-Gas-Chain-Saw-24-Bar-and-Chain.html

Last edited:
You can save $150 and get the 365 instead of the 372. The 441 is a nice saw. Just a little fluffy and not well received by a lot.

It is not uncommon for websites to have outdated specs (and other "info") - actually it a common sourse for misleading info on products.:givebeer:

I agree that the 365XT doesn't really make sense if it is going to stay stock, just like the 6400/6401/6421.

Well, in this case, the Husqvarna does not have the US model HP listed (on purpose). Also in this case, EVERYONE that I have found online lists the US version of that saw as having 4.6 HP with the 70.7cc engine. If you are selling the saw, why would you list it as having *less HP* than actual? That is reverse logic. Also why would they all agree on the same number? Simple deduction on my part is to conclude that they are accurate numbers. I have yet to come up with a different number, other then for EU models. It boggles the mind, but those transfer baffles absolutely ruin the HP on that saw.

And don't get me started on Dolkita saws.... Dolmar is toxic stateside. Crappy western US distributor, badly tuned saws, non-existent or phantom dealers...

We sell the fire out of the 441CM's, the Amish and Mennonite communities buy them as their primary logging saws. We can't keep used ones on the shelf either, doesn't matter if it is a carb model or the CM. The 441's have really picked up steam in the last couple of years. We had a guy trade his two 576 Huskies in this week on 441's.
One 576 grenade the second day he owned it, had a new jug and piston put on under warranty, the other one he felt was weaker than his brothers 441CM.
Just enjoy the smooth cutting saw you just acquired. We seldom ever see a 441 come into the shop, when they do it's usually just time to put new diaphrams in the carb.

Call a 441 fat bottomed if you want.

Here are widths of the saws we own at the widest point.
MS441-CM 7 1/8"
MS362 7"
Husky 365 7 5/8"

Weights fully fueled, oiled, equipped with 20" bars and Stihl RS chain. ES (not light) bars on the Stihls and Oregon Pro-Lite on the Husky....
MS362 18.5#
Husky 365 19.4#
MS441 C-M 20.3#

Cutting speed... subjective tests in 12 to 16" frozen birch 362<365<441,

I think its the overall construction of the 441 that gives it the fat bottomed name. Rightly so from what I've seen of them in the dealer - especially when compared to the 440.

However, I'll know soon enough. A shiny new 441CRM will be showing up here mid-week. I couldn't help myself. I'm very interested in the mtronic technology.

The 441 M-tronic is a whole different beast that the 441C. Better running and better AV just make it better :D Yesterday I had my son and two of his friends helping with wood. Unfortunately temps dropped to 0F from the 40F we were cutting at two weeks ago. I just walked outside, fired up the 441C-M, let it idle for a minute and went to work. The MS362, Husky 365 and 024 all needed a little richening of the L screw to get things going and a little richening of the H screw to get them to 4 stroke. Yeah, it only took a few minutes to tune the other saws, but I won't miss it as I change my fleet over to m-tronics as they come along.

A buddy of mine has the m tronic he loved it at first,but after 100 cords of firewood it started acting up.

I have a few dozen cords through my 441 cm and it is the best saw I have ever owned, and I own more Husqs than Stihls

Latest posts

Back