favorite wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alright then i dont have a stihl 090 av its just a stihl 090 no anti vibration.ill try to get a picture of it.

attachment.php

QUOTE]

Can you ship that to me;)

How about I drive it out. It was 14 degrees here last night.

FREE wood always burns the best especially when its delivered .it made me feel all warm and cozy watching a tree service dump the 60 inch oak log in my driveway from a tree removal job down the road aways.
lazy buggars could have cut and split it too,but i guess i'd be asking a little much

Oh, you oughta be ashaaaaamed o' yo'sef! :angry2:

:D

That poor trailer. That hack is green and you know what that means? Oh my aching back! Green hackberry and green mulberry weigh as much oak--maybe even more after wet spring. Mercy!

Yeah, check the tires! :cry:

For myself, I'm sure enjoying the free oak (red and white, I think), hickory, and occasional locust I have out back. There's a bit of ash, too.

Got some black cherry left by the road crew last year after an ice storm, was planning to burn that this winter. However, I've got so much wood now I think I'll make that into barbeque wood for next summer.

Mmmmmmmm! :cheers:

How about I drive it out. It was 14 degrees here last night.

Well..........Okay, I do have a pool and it reached to the 50's today. The winds are only 25mph plus today. Cold front moves in sunday should only get to 30's with these winds:mad: BUT!, I am only 1 1/2hrs south of Vegas and across the river from Laughlin Nevada........How about the S.C.O.R.E. races comming up in Jan. You can see fast trucks and cycles, have fun and What Happens Here Will be Advertised:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Ash is the best

Has to be Ash, it doesn't burn as hot as red oak, but it splits so easy and lights fast I can get a good fire started with it in 5 mins. Ash also takes about the least time to season and coals really well. I like white oak also it burns really hot but it is a little tough to split.

I have to agree with you! Ash is the best. It gets going really fast on a good bed of coals and it burns great. I have red oak and silver maple but I am letting them season until next winter.

I have to agree with you! Ash is the best. It gets going really fast on a good bed of coals and it burns great. I have red oak and silver maple but I am letting them season until next winter.
Silver maple dry rots faster than any wood species that I know of. If you cut and split that silver maple this past summer, best to burn it now.

Let the red oak go until next year.

Hands down hedge apple and white oak are the best i think. They burn better than some coal i've seen.

If I fill up my wood furnace AO with ash one night and red oak (any oak with pointed leaves instead of white or live group)the next I am going to get approx 2 hours more burn time at least with the oak. I think I take oak over any plentiful wood generated by my tree biz. You're not going to get much hedge, hick, dogwood, etc. but plenty of ash and pinoak. Pin oak busts up almost as bad as a silver maple (Sib, Ch elm too) in storms but burns way way better.

red oak is my choice, its easy to split. white oaks good too but sometimes wifey burns it before it seasoned if i don't hide or bury it pretty good. I split a good load of pin oak yesterday with the maul cause the splitter needed gas

I'll take all the standing dead American or Red Elm I can get! Close second to cured Ash around these parts. Cured Linden recently blew my socks off! I never would have guessed.

TS

Shagbark hickory is the bomb.:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

I love the hickory but there are not many left in the city/suburbs here and not many get planted as they have a big taproot and nurseries cannot harvest them successfully. I have been planting a lot of small container pignuts if people will buy them I got a source to buy them.

ASH...dries quick burns well
CHERRY...cut easy and splits well, burns well
ELM...burns ok split hard
Oak...burns HOT DW :cheers:

Rock maple and red oak would hold down the number one and number two
spots around my neck of the woods. Good long burners and fairly easy to find.

If I had to put something in third place it would probably be beech as it's
no slouch in the firewood department and we have a ton of it locally.

Maplemeister:

:cheers:

Last edited:
Rock maple and red oak would hold down the number one and number two
spots around my neck of the woods. Good long burners and fairly easy to find.

If I had to put something in third place it would probably be beech as it's
no slouch in the firewood department and we have a ton of it locally.

Maplemeister:

:cheers:

All the beech trees here have been dying off from the blight for the last 15 years. It's a shame cause it's as good firewood as any...

All the beech trees here have been dying off from the blight for the last 15 years. It's a shame cause it's as good firewood as any...

Beech is great firewood but a little difficult to split IMO. Is the blight disease or insect or maybe abiotic like drought. We had a drought couple of years ago and now the borers are hitting them hard. Also I think borers are so plentiful that it is hard to establish a planted beech.

Beech is great firewood but a little difficult to split IMO. Is the blight disease or insect or maybe abiotic like drought. We had a drought couple of years ago and now the borers are hitting them hard. Also I think borers are so plentiful that it is hard to establish a planted beech.

I think it's the beetles, considering that there isn't normally a lack of rain here (dreary ol' new york...)

Back