FB marketplace bit me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilbedwell

Reaction score
Found a MS271 on marketplace yesterday. Ad said that the saw would run but would not idle.

I went and looked at it and sure enough, it runs but wouldn’t idle - just ran wide open then died whenever you let off the throttle. Guy seemed legit so I bought it.

Honestly, the saw looks brand new. Either the guy was a true master at cleaning it or it was barely used. Even the muffler looks new.

I put in fresh fuel and tried to tune it when I got home and it got better but still never would idle. I was convinced it was a carb issue so I ordered one.

Then, I started taking it apart. Found painfully obvious clues that it had been overheated. Clutch is fried - it’s bright blue inside. The plastic brake cover is melted around the clutch to the point the cover would not come off and pull thru it. Blade brake is solid black - looks like they ran it with the brake engaged.

So, I dug a little deeper and found what looks like a chunk of the piston skirt missing when I cycled the piston up (see pic)

Is this worth rebuilding? I knew it was going to be a project but…

Attachments

• IMG_2999.jpeg
    IMG_2999.jpeg
    902.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3001.jpeg
    IMG_3001.jpeg
    907.7 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
You’ll need and / or likely need:

1). A new piston & rings - try for an AM Option.
2). New base gasket
3). Cylinder cleaned out
4). Clutch side crankshaft oil seal
5). Small end bearing
6). C-clips

You’ll have to figure out why that let go. Ran too hot? Dull chain? Lean? Overspeed? Ingested something?

You’ll need to do a p&v test too.

It’s a project, but you’ll end up with a lovely as new saw.

Finding a quality AM piston will be easier if the saw is the old-style bolt-on-intake version.

I suggest that PV test before taking the motor apart (and, after assembly, of course).

If it was my saw, I would probably fix it. I am a "you married her, you dance with her" guy. Not that it is, necessarily, the smartest thing to do.

Roy

The cylinder is probably not in the greatest shape either.
i always tell people buying used power equipment
“sometimes you get a good deal-sometimes the guy selling gets a good deal”

unless you know what to check for it’s a crap shoot. and person selling always, always says it just need s a spark plug and an air filter. Famous last words!
why wouldnt they put a plug and filter in and get way more for it??

Found a MS271 on marketplace yesterday. Ad said that the saw would run but would not idle.

I went and looked at it and sure enough, it runs but wouldn’t idle - just ran wide open then died whenever you let off the throttle. Guy seemed legit so I bought it.

Honestly, the saw looks brand new. Either the guy was a true master at cleaning it or it was barely used. Even the muffler looks new.

I put in fresh fuel and tried to tune it when I got home and it got better but still never would idle. I was convinced it was a carb issue so I ordered one.

Then, I started taking it apart. Found painfully obvious clues that it had been overheated. Clutch is fried - it’s bright blue inside. The plastic brake cover is melted around the clutch to the point the cover would not come off and pull thru it. Blade brake is solid black - looks like they ran it with the brake engaged.

So, I dug a little deeper and found what looks like a chunk of the piston skirt missing when I cycled the piston up (see pic)

Is this worth rebuilding? I knew it was going to be a project but…
It is a parts donor saw... unless you can find a used engine in good condition. I don't believe that any aftermarket engines/parts are available.

With this series the transfer covers are glued on the cylinder and the glue doesn't like heat. Cover comes loose creating an air leak which burns up the saw.

It is a parts donor saw... unless you can find a used engine in good condition. I don't believe that any aftermarket engines/parts are available.

With this series the transfer covers are glued on the cylinder and the glue doesn't like heat. Cover comes loose creating an air leak which burns up the saw.
I presume Dirko isn’t the sealant they use? Not really a glue as such is it.

As others have said a 271 is difficult to successfully rebuild because of the glue. The chip from the piston skirt will have caused some damage so you'll have to rebuild the bottom end, which requires skill, special tools and a pressure/vac checker. I'd be tempted to cut your losses and find an easier project.

Thank you all! This was very helpful. I managed to find one of those brand new saws on ebay that someone took apart and had the entire engine module and lower plastics for sale so I bought it. I will transfer whatever parts I can from this saw onto that one and with any luck it should be much like brand new.

With used stuff, it's a "win some, lose some" kind of game. This time I lost. Last year I bought a basically brand new FS131 trimmer for $300 that had been used one time by the original owner and he decided it was just too big. It has been flawless and that was a huge win for me since that trimmer is nearly $600 and my old 130 was showing it's age (still running, though).

This time, I wasn't so lucky. Oh well. I will have more money in this saw than I should but if I get some use out of it, I'll be OK.

Thanks again!

I'm selling a 290 on FB marketplace....maybe I'll offer to take the muffler off and cycle the cylinder for the customer! Great information and thanks for sharing. Sorry about the experience. Maybe reach back out to the person, you never know. They may be honest and give you your money back in exchange for the saw. It never hurts to ask. Or most of your money back?

could be a good winter project it all depends how much you want to put into it. if the piston is that bad i would say the cylinder is junk too, what about the crank & bearings? the price can add up quickly but if it keeps you going on long winter nights it maybe worth it. Lifes a learning curve

Latest posts

Back