Feedback On Brush Bandit Chippers!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess what it boils down to is feed table levels are like saddles, everyone has their own preference. What works for one, does not for another.

I have used nearly half of the available models of chippers and Bandits are everything they are cracked up to be . We just purchased a used Bandit 250xp , 115hp JD , autofeed , winch, swivel discharge and lift cylinder and 332 hours for a steal of $15000 ,what a deal . Boss has never used a self feed and he about shat himself when I loaded her up with 10"-12" liveoak logs . Low feed table is a must have when loading the table with a piece that wheighs as much as yourself or more . Higher feed tables really only shine with smaller limbs . Trick is with a low and wide feed table is to nearly fill the table and then put her in gear, as soon as one piece starts to go they all follow suit, no need to stuff limbs one at a time. My opinion is a 250 is really overkill for most tree services . Vermeer 1230 and 1250 are nice machines for a higher table but you just can't compare them to the 250 or 280 . Bandit 150 is a good entry level self feeding disk machine and the 200(+) is great as well . No matter which chipper you choose , don't just buy a machine that suits todays needs , purchase something you can grow with as your company progresses

I used BB 200`s and 250`s when I worked at Bartlett. The Older 200 has a stupid low infeed table that also sloped outward/downward , so it would vibrate all the little stuff out onto the ground making a messy pile behind the machine. The newer 250`s had a normal and level feed table that I liked. But I hated the dual feed wheels....the feedwheels continuously jammed with bark and hard deadwood. If I needed a 12" chipper I would thouroughly check out the competition before purchasing a BB. There was a lot to like with the BB but the feed roller design totally sucks and needs re engineering.

Having said that, I now run my own "small" operation, mainly do pruning so I chip smaller stuff. I am very happy with my Vermeer 935BC w/Duetz 45hp deisel. For what I do its perfect and it feeds flawlessly but if you do big removals all the time 9" is to small. I`m not brand conscious either,. I don`t care who makes it as long as its rugged reliable and user-friendly.

Glenn

All you guys are argueing over the feed table height. All you have to change is the height of your hitch. And I like the fact that you guys are bandit fans as I am to. I like bandits and how they preform. And Rich make sure you and Lyle can tow it too. So I think the 150 will be your max with your 1500 and I know you dont wanna kill your truck. And Im not sure what vehicle Lyle drives soo... Hope I helped.

fuel consumption is going to be the biggest issue coming a 1800 vermeer can use $160 a day here mine uses $100 a week, rock on air cooled diesels il never have a water cooled chipper again.

climber1423 said:
All you guys are argueing over the feed table height. All you have to change is the height of your hitch. And I like the fact that you guys are bandit fans as I am to. I like bandits and how they preform. And Rich make sure you and Lyle can tow it too. So I think the 150 will be your max with your 1500 and I know you dont wanna kill your truck. And Im not sure what vehicle Lyle drives soo... Hope I helped.

No towing with a 150 or a 1500 series truck ( we both have 1500's). A dump is the way to go for us.

As far as the hitch height 2 inches either way will make little difference.

only problem with bandit chippers/or the company I should say is parts, bandit buys from large companies discontinuing certain lines of product such as GM, Bendix and Delco, for instance I own a 96 90xp 4cyl gas 3.0 engine good motor!! but this is a marine engine need parts go to your local boat shop there cheaper!!! & the motor is no longer made along with the carb, bendix used on forklifts in the early 70`s MMmm lets put that on a late 90`s model machine. seems they build alot of their chippers from discontinued parts(just hope they have what you need when you need it) & for everyone thinkin thats a caterpillar motor WRONG!!! Cat bought out Perkins wich is who bandit uses for their diesel motors the only Cat. item is the yellow paint. choose wisely good luck. LXT......................

I have used alot of different brands of chippers in my day. I will only ever buy a Bandit. My old boss had the bandit 280xp with a 200hp cummins diesel. AWESOME machine. That thing could just eat up the logs. I bought a bandit 250xp. Very nice machine love it. Just keep the knives shart and the anvil at the correct gap and you will get great chips. The auto feed is nice. I have the winch but never use it. So cant tell you if you would need that or not.

We may go a month without using the winch, but when we do it is a great labor and time saver.

I too, am sold on my 250XP, but if i were in the market for a new chipper, I'd have to consider Morbark, Woodsman, and Dynamic. Dynamic's Conehead sounds like it could be the current best design....

climber 1423,
Trying to adjust the feed table height by adjusting your hitch will not work well. You will alter the discharge at the same time. You may end up shooting too low or over the truck or not having the discharge set to get max. fill in the chipbox.

rbtree,
I just brought in a Dynamic DC50 for resale. (I am the Hawaii dealer.) I started it up and engaged the clutch and ran it at full throttle. I did not chip anything with it, but the airflow was moving the branches on a tree 30 ft. away. What the factory told me was true....I can't see how anything could get clogged in this machine. I put my hand right in front of the discharge and it felt like a big backpack blower with much more volume. I will probably have to demo this machine for someone before I can sell it, and I will keep you guys posted as to how it performs, whether good or bad, you will get my honest opinion.

rahtreelimbs said:
No towing with a 150 or a 1500 series truck ( we both have 1500's). A dump is the way to go for us.

As far as the hitch height 2 inches either way will make little difference.
Whos got the dump here. Or is there one coming this spring???

Trying to adjust the feed table height by adjusting your hitch will not work well. You will alter the discharge at the same time. You may end up shooting too low or over the truck or not having the discharge set to get max. fill in the chipbox.

thats why they put a crank on the chute... and a adjustable deflector....

juststumps said:
thats why they put a crank on the chute... and a adjustable deflector....

IF the chipper in question has that option. Height adjustable discharge chute is not a standard item on Bandit chippers.

Our has the adjustable chute too, awesome feature. And like Dan says it shoots a mile! We don't often get jobs where we get to discharge on site but did one last week and it shot the chips way into the woods.

Has anyone had problems with there in feed table bending? I bought a new bb200 this year and the in feed table is bowed so bad it barley shuts. We have only hand loaded it never loaded with a machine. I only has about 110 hrs on it.

The auto feed also went out at 75 hrs. It was warranted but how long will it last this time?

Mike

Climbing mike said:
The auto feed also went out at 75 hrs. It was warranted but how long will it last this time?

Mike

It has been my experience that autofeeds on chippers don't last very long. I have been through 3 autofeeds on my Woodsman 18X and finally said forget it, I don't need it. Each one lasted less than 1 week. The DC50 I just got (it's for resale) has an autofeed and I am curious to see how long it will last. It is the same LOR unit that was on the Woodsman.

Mine was obviously still under warranty and I was getting the new units for free, except for the fact that I had to send the defective units back on my dime. I got tired of going to the Post Office and spending $8 for postage/insurance plus my time and packaging once a week. I don't think autofeeds are necessary on the chipper anyway. I rather have the $850 credit most manufacturers will give you for autofeed delete.

Climbing mike said:
Has anyone had problems with there in feed table bending?

Mike

What size table did you get? We have the widest one and haven't had any problems.

Latest posts

Back