Fell Big Blue Oak!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackOakTreeServ

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My friends sister and husband moved back to there home from Sol Cal to Nor Cal (placer County) because his sister has MS, and needed to be close to family. They pasterd a church down there and had to leave, but he got a job as assistant pastor at a church in granit bay CA.

As there were moving back in to there home, they noticed one of there oaks in the back yard had died when they were away for 2 years. Joe called me and asked if I could drop the blue oak and we could keep the wood to sell or burn in our stoves.....soooooo I havent done Charity work for a while, (even though I could sell the oak wood) so I thought I could make this work......I've been a long time friend of the family, dont mind helping out, anybody else I would have charged a chunk of change to drop, buck and haul off this oak.

Everything went tex book..conventional notch (I call it the placer county...lol) felling cut, wedges and the like.....heck, Im a tree service not a home owner...lol.....its not like I havent done this before, ha ha

Im running a 42"bar, fullskip chain on the 660...not broken in yet, but cuts like a champ.

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

Last edited:
My friends sister and husband moved back to there home from Sol Cal to Nor Cal (placer County) because his sister has MS, and needed to be close to family. They pasterd a church down there and had to leave, but he got a job as assistant pastor at a church in granit bay CA.

As there were moving back in to there home, they noticed one of there oaks in the back yard had died when they were away for 2 years. Joe called me and asked if I could drop the blue oak and we could keep the wood to sell or burn in our stoves.....soooooo I havent done Charity work for a while, (even though I could sell the oak wood) so I thought I could make this work......I've been a long time friend of the family, dont mind helping out, anybody else I would have charged a chunk of change to drop, buck and haul off this oak.

Everything went tex book..open face notch (I call it the placer county...lol) felling cut, wedges and the like.....heck, Im a tree service not a home owner...lol.....its not like I havent done this before, ha ha

Im running a 42"bar, fullskip chain on the 660...not broken in yet, but cuts like a champ.

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

Thats a conventional notch, not an open face and even AA could of droped that in a open pasture.

Thats a conventional notch, not an open face and even AA could of droped that in a open pasture.

LOL..opps, your right, its an conventional, not a open..my bad..

Mr. Holden, I would love to see some pics of your work...but your probably all talk internet bad guy.....

Well, AA probably could have, but not without a lot of drama with Lee and John boy..lol

Last edited:

Mr. Holden, I would love to see some pics of your work...but your probably all talk internet bad guy.....

I'll get right on that. Stop everything guy's,drop that brush, forgot about that loadline, put down the 460 woodsman want's to see some work pics. Listen little guy, I run a four to five man crew on a daily basis, I don't have time for photo op's. You shoud be thankful I taught you the appropriate term for that notch.

I'll get right on that. Stop everything guy's,drop that brush, forgot about that loadline, put down the 460 woodsman want's to see some work pics. Listen little guy, I run a four to five man crew on a daily basis, I don't have time for photo op's. You shoud be thankful I taught you the appropriate term for that notch.

LOL...theres always someone to ruin the thread..lol

Last edited:
Well since this thread is ruined i thought this might help to fix it:laugh:

[video]http://news.yahoo.com/video/oddnews-22772304/odd-news-chainsaw-mishap-beer-for-dogs-jesus-in-cliff-27271943.html#crsl=%252Fvideo%252Foddnews-22772304%252Fodd-news-chainsaw-mishap-beer-for-dogs-jesus-in-cliff-27271943.html[/video]

That ones been going around! I bet that guy is still hiding under the covers!

Little bit of a dutchman going on. Little word of advice, next time just make sure your notch lines up a little better. And you don't have to cut as deep a notch either. save you some time.

Little bit of a dutchman going on. Little word of advice, next time just make sure your notch lines up a little better. And you don't have to cut as deep a notch either. save you some time.

LOL, I was felling tree's when you were still in diapers..lol

Thanks for posting your pictures. Just let the detractors' comments roll off you and keep up the good work. If you had shown or advised something unsafe, it may warrant rebute but you didn't. Ron

Woodsman, nice work but I need to know about your saw. This has been my first.full year in the business and has been a lot of fun but I have got by with a 200t with a 12" bar and a 460 with a 20" and 32" bar. Have done a crap load of work on some.very big wood and my setup has worked but cannot keep.changing bars on job, sucks. Was looking into a 880 or a 3120xp but the majority said to stay away, not worth the money. So I thought a 660 which everyone recommended but stihl will only put on a 36" bar. Found that 42" Oregon in baileys and figured with a full skip and Sharp, should do well. So how does that setup work? Thanks, Shane

WTF is up with all the retards.

To the OP, nice work, no big deal and you didn't say it was either, I enjoy the pics.

Nails, thanks, ya they seem to come out of the wood works when you post pics or vid, I mean, its not like I just started climbing and felling tree's this week...

I have a vid of me felling this oak, 3 cuts, wedges and its down, all went smooth, but someone will neg. com. it...lol

Thanks for posting your pictures. Just let the detractors' comments roll off you and keep up the good work. If you had shown or advised something unsafe, it may warrant rebute but you didn't. Ron

Yep, thats it, I could see if it went the wrong way, or some goofy notch, or unsafe work, but that wasnt there, just tex book fell, no big deal, pastor and his wife are very happy which makes me happy I helped them out.

Woodsman, nice work but I need to know about your saw. This has been my first.full year in the business and has been a lot of fun but I have got by with a 200t with a 12" bar and a 460 with a 20" and 32" bar. Have done a crap load of work on some.very big wood and my setup has worked but cannot keep.changing bars on job, sucks. Was looking into a 880 or a 3120xp but the majority said to stay away, not worth the money. So I thought a 660 which everyone recommended but stihl will only put on a 36" bar. Found that 42" Oregon in baileys and figured with a full skip and Sharp, should do well. So how does that setup work? Thanks, Shane

Shane, the 660 pulls the 42"er no problem, just make sure and get the west coast version "R' for wrap handle with high output oiler for the long bar....fullskip chain is the way to go as well.

With my 440 I just keep the 32" bar on it all the time, the 660 came with the 36" bar, but I just keep it as a spare if the 42er gets bent or pinched bad.

Used the 660 today on that blue oak, 44" at the crotch...ripped right through it, very good saw, worth every penny.

You know I didn't think about the handle but may be the route to go because I have a bad habit of trying to flush cut the stump to low. With a full wrap handle, should keep me out of trouble! Is the oil tank larger as well. I never knew there was a hi output oiled

Back