fence issues and black oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

async

Reaction score
I have a large black oak in my back yard. The tree sits squarely on the border between my and my neighbor's property line. I will be replacing my wood stockade fence in about a week or two. The old fence (which has rotted and is falling apart) was attached to the tree and the tree has since grown around the beams.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can attach the new fence to this tree without damaging it? Are there any innovative products out there, such as steel cable or some sort of tie that can be used?

Please help. :confused:

I would think your best bet would be to stop your fence on one side of the tree, and pick it back up on the other side. Attaching your fence to the tree will eventually ruin the fence, and possibly kill the tree.

watch out where you put the ending and beginning post on either side of the tree , more than likely you will encounter roots when digging that close to the black oak..uf you need to attach the upper n lower rail to the tree , use screws on the rails and the three pickets on either side so when the tree grows you adjust your fence accordingly .... Good Luck...

What i have seen done in the past, and it looks the best and not invasive to the tree is a outstep in the fence similar to a bay window.

From the other side it looks a lot neater than an a gap with exposed trunk sticking thru.

http://www.kensingtonwindows.com/images/gallery-bay6.jpg

Plus a diagram attached. If you can build it prior, like perfab, you shouldn't need an additional post but if you do just have one in the centre as shown on the diagram and it can sit in a metal stirrup which is cemented ontop of a small slab so no digging to China for a post loaded with concrete down the hole.

NIce tip Eric!:blob2:

Now is a good time to attend to the tree's overall needs. An arborist on site can assess the damage done to the tree by the fence, get the bad branches out, mulch, check for disease and insects etc.

Latest posts

Back