Figgin' March weather...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, our typical March weather madness has arrived.
We received around 9-inches of snow a couple days ago.
This morning it's 0[sup]o[/sup], some twenty degrees colder than yesterday morning, but the high today is supposed to be around ten degrees warmer than yesterday :dizzy:
We have fog so thick some of the schools are starting late/closing.
Starting tomorrow we're looking at highs in the 40's... and rain for the weekend!

It all sucks (for me, because actually we need the moisture), the "in-house" wood supply is dwindling and the "back-up supply outside is under a thick blanket of (once wet heavy, now solidly frozen) snow... with rain coming to further aggravate the "suckiness"!

The bright side... all the "old" guys tell me, when March comes in like a lion, it goes out like a lamb.
I'm in "wishful thinking" mode... and believing every word of it!

Need a ride? :D

Whambulance.jpg

Snow today into tomorrow... followed by 50's on Sunday and possibly 60 on Monday!

I agree on March weather. I think it's the only month where I can truly say, I hate the weather.

It all sucks (for me, because actually we need the moisture), the "in-house" wood supply is dwindling and the "back-up supply outside is under a thick blanket of (once wet heavy, now solidly frozen) snow... with rain coming to further aggravate the "suckiness"!

I'm thinking of an outdoor structure, used to cover firewood that could help here. Any idea what I'm talking about Spidey? :msp_razz:

Guess I'll have to run you up a load of wood. And a sheet of tin for next year.;)

Weather like this makes me glad I planned ahead and built a dedicated building for the stove and wood. Spent too many years moving wood through the snow when I couldn't wait any longer for the weather to come in line. Now I can fill the boiler house once in the fall and have the seasons wood AND me dry when feeding. Smoke in the building is minimal as you learn how to feed it quickly and adjust amounts so it's burnt down. ninth year for this set up and NO going back for me.

MVC-020S_7.JPG

MVC-019S_6.JPG

MVC-023S_11.JPG

To me it's all about streamlining your system to make it easier and less time consuming every year. We've all been there when you get in a bind and a job that under the right conditions would take a couple of hours ends up taking all day. Working and splitting wood in the snow is one I shy away from anymore. I do let the weather dictate what will be the "best" option work wise in that aspect. I feel for you Spidey, just use it as a reminder to correct the situation next year. Sometimes a time investment before you need to, will save TONS more time in the future.

Shoot. I have my own problem. Temperature this morning was 35*. My grass is growing like crazy. I started monitoring it late January. Pictures are from mid February. Some strands are reaching 24 inches. Today I will mow areas of my front and back yard and brush hog around the barn. Too darn early to be cutting already. Yeah it's March :msp_mad:

IMG_0704_zpsc07427eb.jpg

IMG_0706_zps38bff50d.jpg

IMG_0705_zps58d37423.jpg

Weather like this makes me glad I planned ahead and built a dedicated building for the stove and wood. Spent too many years moving wood through the snow when I couldn't wait any longer for the weather to come in line. Now I can fill the boiler house once in the fall and have the seasons wood AND me dry when feeding. Smoke in the building is minimal as you learn how to feed it quickly and adjust amounts so it's burnt down. ninth year for this set up and NO going back for me.

To me it's all about streamlining your system to make it easier and less time consuming every year. We've all been there when you get in a bind and a job that under the right conditions would take a couple of hours ends up taking all day. Working and splitting wood in the snow is one I shy away from anymore. I do let the weather dictate what will be the "best" option work wise in that aspect. I feel for you Spidey, just use it as a reminder to correct the situation next year. Sometimes a time investment before you need to, will save TONS more time in the future.

I got mine pretty set, Shed holds 10 cord and I drive right to it :msp_thumbup:

0704101220d.jpg

The tarps over my wood aren't doing that well. Most of it is pretty wet. At least it's still burning ok once I get some coals.

I can't wait for spring to roll around either. We keep getting small storms that just make a mess.

Free heat is good though. :hmm3grin2orange:

I got mine pretty set, Shed holds 10 cord and I drive right to it :msp_thumbup:

0704101220d.jpg

Diggin' the entire system you have there! There is alot to be said about paying attention to detail and taking pride in your work...super nice stack job!

Diggin' the entire system you have there! There is alot to be said about paying attention to detail and taking pride in your work...super nice stack job!

Yeah, and it'd be great if someone else did it :hmm3grin2orange: Not really, I like to fill the shed...and burn it to heat the place/s :msp_thumbup:

OK... here's a new one on me...
We have been placed under Hydrologic Warning!
Because of the weather forecast for tomorrow (heavy rain and temperatures near 40[sup]o[/sup) combined with the abnormally deep frost layer, heavy now pack, and frozen top soil we will see large amounts of 100% run-off with flash flooding! Move to high ground if you live in low areas!
WTF! A Hydrologic Warning? Really?

The tarps over my wood aren't doing that well. Most of it is pretty wet. At least it's still burning ok once I get some coals.

I can't wait for spring to roll around either. We keep getting small storms that just make a mess.

Free heat is good though. :hmm3grin2orange:

Take some light weight junk pallets and put them on top of the wood, THEN the tarps over that. Get some airflow going up as well as sideways. If you want to, rugs, old crappy rugs, on the pallets, then the tarps, so they dont cut and tear on the square edges of the wood.

Tell me about it, i have about 5 cords of logs to get out of the woods for a GTG in 2 weeks. It is all now buried under 2 feet of snow thanks to the storm that hit yesterday. The storm that was only suposed to give us 4"-8".

Back