Figuring board ft on a log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is there a conversion from cu ft to board ft? I am trying to calculate the value of my logs. I wanna start selling the timber instead of turning it all into firewood. Any tips are appreciated!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

measure two points on the small end of the log, the widest and narrowest, average the 2, then check your scale after that, or just measure the smallest point of the small end, that way you can get a little surprise from the mill. Also most mills scale every 2 feet, round down... (you are leaving some trim right?)

Also you need to figure in loss to the saw, and that the mill only scales a square chunk right down the middle, the slabs are a bonus to them. The loss to the saw is a big reason why there are different scales, Doyle, Scribner Dec C, international and a bunch of others no on uses anymore. For dead reckoning math subtracting 25% gets ya in the ball bark, more for smaller logs, less for bigger, Other wise yeah figure out the cubic feet and divide by 12,

One board foot is 12"x12"x1"

Because a = π r² , about 13 1/2 inches diameter is a board foot. The volume of the scaling cylinder is calculated by the smallest end. Estimate # of feet of that, multiply by 12 (to account for inches, because a BF is 12" x 12" x 1"), and you have a very fast-and-dirty estimate of board-feet.

Back