File-0-Plate Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purdyite

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered and received several Carlton File-o-Plates. On an old training video(made in the 80's) where I work, the guy showed one for filing the depth guages/rakers. But looking at the thing, there are holes that I don't know what they're for. Carlton doesn't seem to offer much instruction on them...can anyone offer a small crash course on these? I'd really like to use all the cool stuff on it... thanks for helping out a beginner.

hole is file size

i have a few, never had instuctions takes a min to learn what way to flip it but it works

I have all kinds of filing paraphernalia that I have acquired over the years. The Carlton File-O-Plate is a great little invention. They really aren't all THAT hard to figure out, but they work quite well. Get some good files (see the Save Edge link above). This is a good set-up for field sharpening.

I try to avoid touching the File-O-Plate while drawing the file on the back-stroke. I find that keeps the files sharper longer. One other cool tip I got here on A/S was to get some soda straws from your local McDonalds. You can store the round files inside the soda straws and keep them sharp longer.

They don't make them for all chain types, in particular the RSC3 style with double humps. You can modify the File-o-plate to fit with a Dremel tool and a reinforced cutter. When you file the rakers you need to flip it over. There are two slots for the rakers depending on whether you are cutting hard or soft wood. I usually do all the cutters and then do the rakers second, seems faster to me. I use a bench grinder now but the File-o-plate is great for the field. Go to their website, they used to have instructions there. Good luck!:clap:

I use a bench grinder now but the File-o-plate is great for the field.

I presume you still use a File-O-Plate for setting the depth guages to start with though? I use one for a left and a right depth guage then set the grinder to suit. I've never used one for filing as I grind all my chains now.

I use Carlton File-O-Plates and love them. I know I can get chains sharper with the plate then my dealers can with their grinders.

Don't get discouraged if you don't get the results you want the first time. A little patience and concentration is all it takes.

Always position the angled portion of the gage toward the powerhead, it should be marked, left hand cutters one side, right hand the other.

I presume you still use a File-O-Plate for setting the depth guages to start with though? I use one for a left and a right depth guage then set the grinder to suit. I've never used one for filing as I grind all my chains now.

I either do it that way or use my Starret micrometer to check the depth and then grind one tooth to the proper height and then match them all to that one. I use a Silvey grinder but I still think I can get a sharper chain by hand filing. No grinder will give me the smooth surface that a file will. Maybe some one else has a better way to match hand filing with a grinder. The other problem is that with the grinder you can't grind from outside to inside which makes for a sharper chain. If you want to slope the back of your cutters or thin the width of the chain I use both the grinder and the file. I don't make full on race chains, just fool around to see what different changes make. It's all fun.:clap:

The other problem is that with the grinder you can't grind from outside to inside which makes for a sharper chain.

You can if you use a MAXX :) But then again I sold mine because of it's inconsistency.
If warranty isn't a concern you can always use a DPDT switch to reverse any grinder so it can grind into the cutters. I plan on doing this to my new Speed Sharp.
I've found a ground chain will cut the same in the field as a well filed chain despite the rougher finish. However I've never professed to being a filing guru :)

Back