Filling Around a Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roscodog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I have more experience killing trees but am looking for information to see if I can save one.

I want to level an area by bringing in fill but have a tree that I would like to keep that is in a low spot. The tree is a western white pine (pinus monticola) about 20' tall and 7" dbh.

What I would like to know is if I can fill around the tree 2-3' above the existing ground level without hurting it. Should I treat or wrap the trunk somehow?

Incidentally, the tree is growing out of a well rotten old growth western redcedar stump and has an unusual root structure as it seems to have shifted out of the stump at some time and taken hold again.

Thanks for any replies, Ross

Ross

Well Ross, first of all welcome to AS. I hope you are current on you meds as this is a insane asylum for tree and saw nuts.

Second, in my opinion any sort of pine should be shot, choked and burned!!!

Third, since I have no idea about how to help you I will leave it to the pros on here and just say "welcome to AS and watch out for men with moustaches"

I agree with Zale.

Fill that deep will almost surely kill the tree. I wouldn't even run a bulldozer inside the dripline of a tree.

I agree with Zale.

Fill that deep will almost surely kill the tree. I wouldn't even run a bulldozer inside the dripline of a tree.

You love the never ending story? ;) yes that is way too much fill it will rot and it will die. Sounds like its not growing properly in the first place. Yanker and plant a new one, fill up to about a half inch below the root flare.

Thanks

I thought so. It's actually the wife that likes the tree. Maybe I'll tell her that you guys said it was okay to bury it and cut it down when it dies. The area being leveled is around the new pool so I think a palm would be more fitting in the pine's place.

Thanks, Ross

There are ways you could save it, but they're expensive and labor intensive. Go with the flashing plastic palm tree.:msp_smile:

This may be a stupid question, but is there any amount of fill that you can put around the tree and not hurt the tree?

I have a bunch of swamp maples, that i would like to level out the ground around, It would prob be about 6" of fill.

3-4 inches is what is recommended, you are probably safe, but wouldn't hurt to drop it a bit. What often happens, is the roots will grow upward into the soil or mulch

Back