Finally got my Woodmaster and its up and running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got the girl running about three weeks ago. I only ordered a 250 gallon propane tank for my new house to avoid paying tank rental, and it was going down fast before I got my OWB running.

Now heating my 1700 sq ft house, hot water, and a 1500 sq ft pole barn I am filling the OWB twice a day. I do have to fill it pretty full to make it, but twice a day does not bother me at all. I did all the installation myself, which was pretty interesting, but I am glad I did it because I learned a lot about how my propane boiler works as well.

Thanks to all those who helped me make my decision. Lets see if I can upload some pics...

Some more pics of my lean-to, my wood pile I have to cut for the next two years, and my house I am heating. Also my pump setup in the barn.

Looks nice! I fill my CB twice a day also. I can make it 14+ hours if I need to.

Again nice unit and clean install!

Great lookin setup! I've got a 5648 Central Boiler that takes care of 5500sq ft of heating and hot water for two houses and a garage. I also check mine twice daily...But she will purr along for 14 hours if needed. Sure is nice not to see the oil truck pullin in every month!:cheers:

Is that a mixer valve there with the green cap?:confused:
I thought the purpose of mixer valves was to combine cold water with the heated domestic water to temper it?
If it is a mixer, can you explain it's use in this application? Forgive my ignorance here, I'm not a plumber or pipe fitter.

Good eye Geez, yeas that is a mixing valve. I use it to regulate the temperature of my barn, as it has in floor heat in the concrete. I have pics of the tubing if you are interested.

My setup is pretty simple, I have a temp gauge on the pipe going into the pump so I know what the water temp is for reference. When the barn was not insulated I ran the water into the floor at 100 degrees and the barn stayed about 50. As I got the ceiling and walls insulated I was able to turn the temp down and now when I have the water coming in at 80 degrees it keeps the barn a good 65-68 degrees. Without the mixer valve then the water would come in the barn at 170 degrees and the concrete would be very upset I think.

Good eye Geez, yeas that is a mixing valve. I use it to regulate the temperature of my barn, as it has in floor heat in the concrete. I have pics of the tubing if you are interested.

My setup is pretty simple, I have a temp gauge on the pipe going into the pump so I know what the water temp is for reference. When the barn was not insulated I ran the water into the floor at 100 degrees and the barn stayed about 50. As I got the ceiling and walls insulated I was able to turn the temp down and now when I have the water coming in at 80 degrees it keeps the barn a good 65-68 degrees. Without the mixer valve then the water would come in the barn at 170 degrees and the concrete would be very upset I think.

Yeah, I guess so! And if the 80° gets you 65° then 170° would get you what? 140°? :eek:

I don't understand the mixing valve. What are you mixing with the hot water input? Cold water? That would be a tremendous waste of energy! How about just turning the pump off and on, so the water has a chance to coll down a bit before returning to the boiler? If you are mixing in fresh water, there must be an overflow somewhere? Not a good idea, because of rust formation in the boiler. There must be a better answer?

No, infomet, the mixing valve mixes the 170 degree water coming into the valve with the much cooler water coming out of the floor, so no fresh water is added. There is no waste of energy or addition of fresh water. You are simply adding water back in from the end of the 250' loop through the floor and running it through the pump again to cool the incoming water.

Turning the pump on and off is much harder on the pump and would shorten pump life, and I would guess one side of the floor would be much warmer than the other side without a constant flow of water to keep things even.

Nice looking set-up. I have a Woodmaster 5500 and absolutely love it...heating 4000sq ft home and my 30x40 barn. I have to say I'm jealous of the in floor heat you have for your barn. My barn came a few years before the wood boiler so I'm stuck w/ a blower. Running a seperate pump for the barn and just turn it on when I'm going to be working in the barn. Still can get the barn up to about 40 when it's 0 outside.
Just went 34 hours w/ the house turned down to 69 from the usual 74 while we were at the in-laws for xmas. Was pleasantly surpised that still had a great bed of coals and water temp was still over 170 when we got home.

Latest posts

Back