Finally took a couple of pictues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This sure makes moving wood easy, providing I can get the tractor to the logs!

Front rim is 20" dia IIRC. Bucket is about 5' wide. Piles are between 25' and 35' deep. Logs are about 14'-15' long. Red Oak, White Oak, Hard Maple and some Pin Oak. Got a Red Oak that a storm tipped over that is 54" dia right above the root flare and about 30"+ dia right below the first branch. Roughly 34' from ground to first branch. I cut the rootball off and there is no sign of center rot. Still have 85 trees to drop, all between 16" dia and 38" dia. All are dying because the contractor who dug the ponds covered the roots with anywhere from 18" to almost 4' of dirt, then packed it down. Landowner isn't a happy camper..............
100_2321.JPG

100_2324.JPG

100_2323.JPG

100_2322.JPG

The log piles are roughly 8' tall. I wonder how many cords are there?? Not including what I still have to bring out.

Mass quantities!

I mostly use the 60 horse deutz here with just a toter on the rear forks or pulling a trailer. There's also a 90 with an FEL and removable bolt on forks for that.

I have been sorely tempted to use that larger tractor for logs, but...not my equipment and I am always paranoid about busting expensive tractor stuff.

If it had a grapple though, I would give in to temptation pretty quick!

Sounds like you need to visit the sawmill page!

I called a local mill and they weren't interested. I cut 'em long specifically for that reason. There's something in the soil in this area (minerals?) that leaves stains in the wood and it's not useable for veneer. Go 10 miles East and it's not a problem.

Anybody know if there's a formula out there to convert a log pile into split cords? It looks like I'll be doing a LOT of cutting and splitting this year. What's nice about the grapple is that the logs aren't dragged thru the dirt.

I called a local mill and they weren't interested. I cut 'em long specifically for that reason. There's something in the soil in this area (minerals?) that leaves stains in the wood and it's not useable for veneer. Go 10 miles East and it's not a problem.

Anybody know if there's a formula out there to convert a log pile into split cords? It looks like I'll be doing a LOT of cutting and splitting this year. What's nice about the grapple is that the logs aren't dragged thru the dirt.

If you can guesstimate what it would be as a cube shape, then take it from there and deduct maybe 25%? Maybe that could work without scaling each log. You'd deduct for the air spaces in the log stack, but split increases the size, so maybe..man I am guessing....25% deduction would average it out sufficiently.

I have never done it before, so this is really a wild guess. They guys who get log loads delivered might be able to help, a truck bed or trailer x long, y wide, z tall, cut split and stacked worked out to blah blah cords.

Even if they were made into pallet lumber or ties, that would have more value than firewood.

Latest posts

Back