Finding busted saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried that one time before I was swamped in projects and got nothing. However the local group was weird because certain things would sell instantly and others wouldn't even get a single hit. Im sure if I went to a larger group in the area I'd get some hits.

I agree with you on the chain brakes and ebay. Sold one thing on eBay and usps screwed up my package. Somehow it was my fault that they bent a 2" PVC pipe and broke the fishing rod. I was told insurance didn't cover it because of how it was packaged and I swore I'd never do it again.
I figure I'll let someone enjoy these saws instead of them collecting dust.
I got shafted on two of the last three saws I put on ebay so I haven't put one on there since. One sold, no problem, next the PO carrier apparently dropped it from quite a distance and broke it and the last one was a scammer who knew how to play ebay's system. Don't know if I'll work up the nerve to ever trust selling on ebay again or not.

I got shafted on two of the last three saws I put on ebay so I haven't put one on there since. One sold, no problem, next the PO carrier apparently dropped it from quite a distance and broke it and the last one was a scammer who knew how to play ebay's system. Don't know if I'll work up the nerve to ever trust selling on ebay again or not.

Can't stand selling stuff on Ebay. Got burned bad on a used gas tank I had off a Harley. Put about a dozen pictures of it up. Described it in detail, I noted that yes it was in great condition but it was used and had a couple very minor zipper scratches. Shipping was kinda expensive because it was a large object.
It its some action, selling price of about 150$ plus shipping. Buyer get the tank, claims "theres more scratches on it than it looked like there were". Wants a full refund including shipping, wont budge, wont compromise, take a discount price, nothing. Only way he will send it back to me is if I pay to have it shipped back.
It goes to "Ebay court", he wins, I end up having to pay for everything, shipping both ways. I've dabbled in some small sales but I'm never going through that again.

Anybody used one of the ebay easy auction businesses instead of selling themselves? I'm not sure what they charge but it may be worth it to save the headache.

Anybody used one of the ebay easy auction businesses instead of selling themselves? I'm not sure what they charge but it may be worth it to save the headache.

Can't stand selling stuff on Ebay. Got burned bad on a used gas tank I had off a Harley. Put about a dozen pictures of it up. Described it in detail, I noted that yes it was in great condition but it was used and had a couple very minor zipper scratches. Shipping was kinda expensive because it was a large object.
It its some action, selling price of about 150$ plus shipping. Buyer get the tank, claims "theres more scratches on it than it looked like there were". Wants a full refund including shipping, wont budge, wont compromise, take a discount price, nothing. Only way he will send it back to me is if I pay to have it shipped back.
It goes to "Ebay court", he wins, I end up having to pay for everything, shipping both ways. I've dabbled in some small sales but I'm never going through that again.
Exactly what I went through but I didn't pay the return shipping. He kept the chainsaw but I pretty well broke even because the saw was given to me. Like I always said: Don't sell anything on ebay that you can't afford to lose. I haven't tried to sell anything on ebay since...

No, but I've tried a couple of websites here in Indiana to sell things on, they're free and you sell face to face. I've also sold locally which is probably the best.

No, but I've tried a couple of websites here in Indiana to sell things on, they're free and you sell face to face. I've also sold locally which is probably the best.

I use the Facebook Market place quite often, its a 50/50 crowd.
50% want to low ball you, trade you for some useless piece of junk, not show up when they are supposed too.
the other 50% are actually fairly respectful, and are egger to pay the price posted.

I haven't tried the Facebook market but it sounds a lot like Craigslist. I hear the CL crowd doesn't always show up when they say they will. Locally we have a site called hoosier topics which seems pretty good and is also free. I've only sold a couple of items on it but that turned out okay..Ebay used to be good but not so much lately..

I haven't tried the Facebook market but it sounds a lot like Craigslist. I hear the CL crowd doesn't always show up when they say they will. Locally we have a site called hoosier topics which seems pretty good and is also free. I've only sold a couple of items on it but that turned out okay..Ebay used to be good but not so much lately..

It is similar to CL but the communication method is the Messenger...which I can answer right from my computer or phone. Again some people are egger to meet, are right on time, and have your asking price in hand. The others...they are what make this whole process a head ache

At least when you make a deal on CL or FB and he walks away with the saw and you have the money he doesn't come back two months later (after he cut his firewood) and say the saw doesn't work and wants and gets his money back and you get a saw with half the parts missing..

I recently got burned on eBay as well. Poorly running saw I sold in the parts/repair category, mentioned every thing I could think of and then included there may be more but this is what I know. As is. No returns. But backed by eBay's money back guarantee of course. Guy says I decieved him, eBay sides with him, surprise. I lose shipping twice and the selling fees and the PayPal fees. Decided that would be the last one I sell on there.

If the "buyer's" money was returned you should get your final value fee and your shipping fee back in the way of a credit to your ebay account. Getting it back into your Paypal account is a whole 'nother matter. Yeah, I haven't sold any more since my latest scamming.

Back