Fine dust getting past air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I mean by a pre-filter. May try to stretch a sock over it or I've also heard panty hose mentioned. Those are a really fine weave as well and should stop more dust. I did compare the OEM Redmax filter and the one from China and the Redmax does have a tighter pattern and would stop more if it would have fit.

Dirt bike riders know that if you have dusty conditions that you use a oiled sock that goes over the filter. The sock catches more than 90% of all the dust and the filter catches the rest. MX supply places often sell them in a three pack and they work great. Thanks

And cr888, I know it may seem frivolous to some by putting this much effort into correcting a saw but, other than a couple issues I've had with it so far it seems to be a decent saw for my needs. Most people say they won't last long and it could be true but in this case I beleive it could last longer ifthen dust ingestion is cut to a minimum. Would I like to have a Stihl saw? Yes, but for my needs I can't justify the expense or afford it at this point. I'm of the mindset that I'll do the best I can with what I have to work with. I like the challenge anyway. Lol
These saws can be great value if there gone over and tweaked a little. They are often poorly assembled and need a little care to be made reliable worksaws. I don't fear a small amount of fine sawdust in intake but your saw is taking in too much and could be made a lot better with a little effort.

1999_07_Indonesia_Gunung_Leuser_Log.jpg

Fine saw dust will probably not hurt the saw, but if you can stop the saw dust, why wouldn't you?

Indeed. And I would agree. I think for us up here in the Northeast, it's the other crap -- dirt, grit, sand — we really worry about, cos that's what's on a lot of the scrounge wood, at least.

generous @stihlaficionado just sent me a new HD air filter he had lying around, so me and the saw are happy, covered and grateful for that.

I can't speak for standing live wood, cos all I ever cut is storm-damaged and fallen wood, and side of the road leftovers.

You guys that think a little dust being ingested by the engine won't hurt, are missing some of the picture. Regardless of what happens to this stuff in the combustion chamber, it has to go through the crankcase to get there. Do you really want dust of any kind to get into the connecting rod bearings and the crankshaft bearings? What about gunge building up on the petals of reed valve engines? Lightly oiled breathable foam is the best solution. If you really want to be anal about it, K&N high performance filters (like the one in my 'vette) sell a recharge kit with special oil that is meant for the job and makes cleaning the foam easy.

After looking at the pictures, I would suggest replacing the filter. If be concerned about the quality of the mesh and it's ability to block fine dust. You might be able to pressure test (using low pressure) the entire engine along with the carburetor. You might have to devise some sealing mechanism such as a sealing cone to place into the filter mounting nipple. Hope that makes sense.
Why do you think today's saws run much tighter tolerances? Air cooled engines are all pretty loose.

Latest posts

Back