Fire codes for homes in California. Anybody know where to find them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It's a good idea to be knowledgeable about what passes fire inspection and then some. I'm often clearing up around the houses in order to pass "fire inspections." I haven't found a word on this anywhere though. I'm sure there is a big organization and a website that details all of the wisdom I'm looking for.

I tried a few more things, and I find a few credible organizations explaining what I want to know.

Much the work I do these days is "forest care", a program sponsored by the state of calif, to reduce the chances of wildfires burning up property in our mountains, and to make the mountain areas healthily by thinning trees and removing latter fuels and what not. You can check this site for info. CAL FIRE - Why 100 Feet?
We raise all the trees 10ft above the ground, small trees we remove half their height, all or most brush is removed, any overhanging branches near roofs and decks are cut back ten feet. I don't think they have the best interest of the trees in mind, but only worry about fire protection. Most people who live in rural areas don't really want to remove growth 100ft around their houses, but by thinning and carefully raising trees you can still make it look rural and mountainous with out stripping it bare.

Cal Fire was the organization I was looking for. I found these other two earlier.

Homeowners - Firewise

Wildfire - Are You Prepared?

I would assume that people here want a local state organization that is most familiar with the numerous fires in this area, so Cal Fire is probably more reputable to them than these other two continental organizations.

Back