Fire Ring Ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This past week we finally decided where the fire ring is going to go at our cabin. The perfect spot that was hidden by a shrub that I will be transplanting.

I don't have easy access to a welder and/or torch so looking for a store bought ring. Preferrably one of those with either a set-in or swing over cooking grate and also maybe a pot hanger.

Can anyone recommend a good brand to look at?

Thanks in advance.

Tractor/trailer rim and some wire. Three pieces of rebar or steel rod for a tripod, done.

X2. I had a store bought fire pit that the bottom rotted out of in 3 years. Some of the home improvement places nearby sold fire pit "kits" that included a steel fire ring, paver style bricks and sand for $250-300. I acquired a free tractor trailer rim and spent round $30 on pavers and have a nice pit. Truck rims have the big holes in them that allow air into the bottom of the pit to help with the burn.

For your idea a free truck rim with some minimal welding from a shop will yield a heavy duty fire pit.

Go to any tire shop that works on big rig's and they'll have a bad rim to give you. Gotta have a couple of hot fires to burn the paint off though.

tu6y3a2e.jpg

It has rocks around the outside

Sent from my Autotune Carb

Brighton Stone has a whole pile of those in all different sizes and styles. I use a 18" section cut from an old 4' diameter oil drum. 1/4" wall.

Great ideas.

My first thought would be to use stones but also want the ability to have a grate and pot hook for more functionality.

Great ideas.

My first thought would be to use stones but also want the ability to have a grate and pot hook for more functionality.

A grate sucks for keeping the fire going, the hot ashes tend to fall away from the wood being burned, Been doing this for many years and swear by just a ring of rocks and no hole, it throws out way more heat this way, radiates it better if its not below ground....

Try Kings Forge- I have the 5x5 primitive grill set. I build on the ground, drive the four uprights in, then slip the horizontals in and the rack irons. Using grates and grills from other "Cooking grills" for each menu item, we get serious amounts of food cooked, If the burgers are done, the whole grill comes off and the brats grill stays on longer. Been using mine for five years or more now.

grill1.JPG

Will Smitty King has all the tripods and grills, fire accessories you need. Tell em Gene sent you.

http://www.kingsforgeandmuzzleloading.com/page18

Built this a few years ago. It swings over the fire and slides up and down, depending on how hot your fire is. Sorry you can't see the grate. It is expanded metal with flat around the edge. The flat keeps hot dogs from rolling off!image.jpg

Look on fleabay. Type in fire ring grate. There are a few on there at a fair price.
Edit..."campfire grill" gives better results

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back