Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arson, Canada fires is what I put in. You will have to follow some of the suggested parameters to more articles. It isn't rocket science. Yes, there are plenty of bs articles to weed through...par for the course.
I tried to link to my search...didn't work

So its just being kept under wraps by the Canadian government because if people found out, what?

I really dont understand the need for a boogie man, especially one that makes zero sense...

Yes, tree hugging environmentalists who cry over the "death" of trees cut down by loggers have zero issue burning millions of acres of trees. umm.

I mean this makes sense to you?

That would be like animal lovers murdering cattle herds to prevent me from eating hamburgers.

Or is it that because it makes no sense, those deep state environmentalist wackos making everyone who sees through it look crazy, have coopted the typical leftwing law enforcement groups (snort) and muzzled them from official statements? Thats how you know its real? ohh I know Space lasers!

So its just being kept under wraps by the Canadian government because if people found out, what?

I really dont understand the need for a boogie man, especially one that makes zero sense...

Yes, tree hugging environmentalists who cry over the "death" of trees cut down by loggers have zero issue burning millions of acres of trees. umm.

I mean this makes sense to you?

That would be like animal lovers murdering cattle herds to prevent me from eating hamburgers.

Or is it that because it makes no sense, those deep state environmentalist wackos making everyone who sees through it look crazy, have coopted the typical leftwing law enforcement groups (snort) and muzzled them from official statements? Thats how you know its real? ohh I know Space lasers!
Irrelevant. When there are RCMP official reports...from different provinces...that's the government, correct?

Irrelevant. When there are RCMP official reports...from different provinces...that's the government, correct?

Then you should have no issue linking them and providing all of us deluded folks evidence.

Because there are zero statements, that I could find, coming from any official government spokesperson that person X or Group Y started these fires for Z reason.

Theres tons of articles that there is a ton of misinformation about this starting due to arson circling about. About how some "news" sites, needing clicks, "linked" these fires to an arsonist whose fires he set were buildings and structures and were put out without issue.

But the truth is still putting its pants on while the lies travel the world.

Show us the goods. I'm more than willing to be wrong, presented evidence. Are you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandolini's_law

In a so-called "post truth" era materially false statements and stories are the rule, and not the exception, ubiquitous, and nothing said can be taken as fact without a lot of further thinking and examination. That said, that there are many news accounts citing to arson appears to be the case. For just one example, from the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company), a "national" source...

RCMP have charged a woman with 32 counts of arson after investigating a string of suspicious northeast Alberta wildfires.

The charges facing the 54-year-old woman from Glendon, Alta., are connected to numerous wildfires in the Bonnyville and Lac La Biche areas in April and May, RCMP said in a news release Friday.

On April 24, fire and forestry authorities responded to multiple wildfires in the forest protection area northwest of Bonnyville and east of Lac La Biche. The RCMP Forestry Crimes Unit determined the cause of the fire was arson and identified a suspect.

Then, on May 27, authorities were called to seven wildfires northwest of Bonnyville. RCMP say officers then found and arrested the 54-year-old woman. At the time of her arrest, four wildfires were burning nearby and a total of 19 fires had been started over the course of a few hours, RCMP said.

The really annoying and difficult questions have to do with what would get "environmentalists" (or any group of people not just plain crazy and stupid or astonishingly hateful) to set numerous fires in a very dry year? Lumber prices? Resentment?

In a so-called "post truth" era materially false statements and stories are the rule, and not the exception, ubiquitous, and nothing said can be taken as fact without a lot of further thinking and examination. That said, that there are many news accounts citing to arson appears to be the case. For just one example, from the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company), a "national" source...

RCMP have charged a woman with 32 counts of arson after investigating a string of suspicious northeast Alberta wildfires.

The charges facing the 54-year-old woman from Glendon, Alta., are connected to numerous wildfires in the Bonnyville and Lac La Biche areas in April and May, RCMP said in a news release Friday.

On April 24, fire and forestry authorities responded to multiple wildfires in the forest protection area northwest of Bonnyville and east of Lac La Biche. The RCMP Forestry Crimes Unit determined the cause of the fire was arson and identified a suspect.

Then, on May 27, authorities were called to seven wildfires northwest of Bonnyville. RCMP say officers then found and arrested the 54-year-old woman. At the time of her arrest, four wildfires were burning nearby and a total of 19 fires had been started over the course of a few hours, RCMP said.

The really annoying and difficult questions have to do with what would get "environmentalists" (or any group of people not just plain crazy and stupid or astonishingly hateful) to set numerous fires in a very dry year? Lumber prices? Resentment?
This should be all over the News Media, and it isn't! Talk about controlled agenda and propaganda! Must be the Greenies with their Climate agenda. Anyone that really thinks hundreds and hundreds of fires just ignited with no human hand in is braindead.

This should be all over the News Media, and it isn't! Talk about controlled agenda and propaganda! Must be the Greenies with their Climate agenda. Anyone that really thinks hundreds and hundreds of fires just ignited with no human hand in is

Lone wolf: the article about this crazy lady was from 2021…

I highly doubt she is responsible for these fires.

Again right back to Brandolini’s Law

Do you think hundreds just spontaneously ignited? Humans had a hand in this, no doubt. You going with the lightening story or what?

I think the most plausible, given the remote area is exactly what the experts are saying:

Lightning storm hit hard a couple of hours before that satellite imagery was taken.

Very plausible in extreme drought area that a fast moving storm with multiple strikes can cause multiple origin points and under time lapse video it would look like it was all done at once.

Doesn’t mean your boogie man did it.

It’s also normal that the sky is clear a few hours after a thunderstorm, has been since I was young.

Anything else up to this point, is just pure conjecture.

Blaming greenies makes as much sense as me blaming you. I’m not saying there aren’t crazy people out there. I just don’t assign every thing that goes wrong in the world to people who don’t think like I do.

I think the most plausible, given the remote area is exactly what the experts are saying:

Lightning storm hit hard a couple of hours before that satellite imagery was taken.

Very plausible in extreme drought area that a fast moving storm with multiple strikes can cause multiple origin points and under time lapse video it would look like it was all done at once.

Doesn’t mean your boogie man did it.

It’s also normal that the sky is clear a few hours after a thunderstorm, has been since I was young.

Anything else up to this point, is just pure conjecture.

Blaming greenies makes as much sense as me blaming you. I’m not saying there aren’t crazy people out there. I just don’t assign every thing that goes wrong in the world to people who don’t think like I do.
Right, it isn't odd hundred of fires started. Nothing to see, move on. The MSN isn't even questioning this at all. That in itself is telling.

Right, it isn't odd hundred of fires started. Nothing to see, move on. The MSN isn't even questioning this at all. That in itself is telling.
From your article:

On April 30, 2022, Cold Lake RCMP responded to the Cherry Grove hamlet after reports of multiple vehicle and structure fires, including two residential homes in the area of Maple Street and Pine Drive, which were later determined to be arson, said a Thursday news release.

Then in August 2022, the FCU and government partners determined that several wildfires were intentionally set in the Hilda Lake, Cold Lake Provincial Park, Ardmore, and Cherry Grove areas.

Later that year, in September, Cold Lake RCMP responded to a fire at the Cherry Grove Rodeo Grounds where a wooden platform appeared to be deliberately set on fire.

Then, on April 28 of this year RCMP responded to reports that the Canada Post office in Cherry Grove as well as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints were on fire. The post office was heavily damaged and the church was completely destroyed.

On April 30, police arrested and charged John Cook with 10 counts of arson. He was remanded into custody and is set to appear in court on May 10 in Cold Lake.

The hamlet of Cherry Grove is about 289 km northeast of Edmonton.

What does any of this have to do with the other?

Its a firehose of BS tangentially related events that dont explain the wildfires.

The other article:

Investigations into the three fires have determined each of them to be an act of arson
To help avoid any new wildfires, Nova Scotia increased the fine for breaking the province-wide burn ban to $25,000.

“We need all Nova Scotians to take the wildfire situation as seriously as we are. We are still finding cases of illegal burning, and it has to stop,” said Tory Rushton, Minister of Natural Resources and Renewables.
“We’re taking every measure to prevent new fires from starting. All Nova Scotians need to do their part — follow the burn ban, stay out of the woods and help keep your families and communities safe.”

The fine, which is set in the Summary Offence Ticket Regulations, had been $237.50. Penalties are levied through summary offence tickets issued by police, conservation or other law enforcement officers. The burn ban is in place until June 25 or until conditions allow it to be lifted.
The increased fine does not apply to the ban on entering the woods. The fine for violating that ban is $180.
While most provincial and municipal parks remain open, wooded areas are off-limits, so provincial parks that are primarily trails are closed.
Department of Natural Resources and Renewables also said shooting ranges are also closed.

In Pictou County, the Mounties are investigating three separate arson incidents in the area. Pictou County is roughly 120 km north of Halifax.

On Friday, a commercial structure fire, located on Highway 4 in Alma, was extinguished by local volunteer firefighters.

A second fire was reported around an hour later on Granton Abercrombie Road in Granton.
The Mounties said the incident was caused by a green bin being lit on fire at the side of the road.
Luckily, local firefighters were able to put out the fire. Around 20 minutes later another fire was reported on Mount William Road in Mount William.

Again the Mounties said recycling bags at the side of the road were set on fire.
The Mounties managed to put the fire out.

"Initial investigation has determined that all three fires were the result of arson," the RCMP in Nova Scotia stated.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Pictou County District RCMP at 902-755-4141.

Again.... Nothing pointing the current massive wildfires being caused by arson!

Even less pointing it to "Greenies"

Post-truth era indeed.

Do you think hundreds of fires just spontaneously ignited? Humans had a hand in this, no doubt. You going with the lightening story or what?
Yes. Read my bit about Oregon. It's called a Lightning Bust. If you had any experience in the woods, you'd know it happens.

Here's how it happens. We have this thing called Lightning. A storm full of it travels across the woods and mountains. Lightning strikes hit trees and stuff that is flammable. Little fires start. People are sent to find the fires, but there can be more fires than there are people. We used to have two person smoke chasing teams sent out. Eastern Oregon, 1986. Western Oregon, 1987. Smoke jumpers and helitack folks are busy too. There can be more fires than people so fires are then prioritized, and some fires have to be left alone. Those can turn into large fires, and then they'll burn until either flooded by rain, or winter happens.

I've actually been ON THE GROUND doing this work. You go out, find the smoke, get it out or safe, then come back to the office for another assignment, and do it again and again. It gets tiresome Sometimes, you spend the night out on the fire.

Also, since you need some education in fire control, lightning strikes can smolder for weeks and then pop up as a fire. We have planes that fly over the forest each day during high fire danger days looking for exactly that. Canada is a huge country, remote, and probably can't do that due to the area that needs coverage. We also now have computers that can track lightning strikes, but it still takes humans to go take care of the smokes.

And yes, there is arson out there. But blaming a mythical organization for it is ignorant and dangerous. In 2020, fires broke out in Western Oregon when a gale blew through, knocking trees down on power lines and starting fires. Idiots posted on line that antifa was starting the fires. "Locals" held some strangers at gun point thinking that the strangers were antifa arsonists. That's how a lies get people killed. You folks need to stop it. You will get somebody shot by an idiot.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ation-oregon-wildfires-spreading-social-media

We have a county fire facebook page here. Some of the not so good at thinking people have tried to blame political groups for the fires, and the moderators quickly take their posts off and ban the idiots from posting more hatred.

Educate yourself before posting. It takes self discipline and work, but can be done.

Arson? Yes, it's always been there. During lean times, when work was scarce, folks used to start forest fires so they could get paid to fight the fire. Firefighters have been know to do that also.

However, people can no longer just come off the street and sign up to fight fires. This isn't done as much due to that.

Oh, Lone Wolf this is an excellent read. Read. It isn't a meme and might take you a while. Our libraries all have it. It's also a PBS show but you've probably got PBS blocked.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/40961561

And some more reading that would be beneficial.

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Men-Fire-Norman-Maclean/dp/0226500624

There is also one about the tragedy in Colorado, but it slips my mind. I have a former smoke jumper friend who survived that one.

Yes. Read my bit about Oregon. It's called a Lightning Bust. If you had any experience in the woods, you'd know it happens.

Here's how it happens. We have this thing called Lightning. A storm full of it travels across the woods and mountains. Lightning strikes hit trees and stuff that is flammable. Little fires start. People are sent to find the fires, but there can be more fires than there are people. We used to have two person smoke chasing teams sent out. Eastern Oregon, 1986. Western Oregon, 1987. Smoke jumpers and helitack folks are busy too. There can be more fires than people so fires are then prioritized, and some fires have to be left alone. Those can turn into large fires, and then they'll burn until either flooded by rain, or winter happens.

I've actually been ON THE GROUND doing this work. You go out, find the smoke, get it out or safe, then come back to the office for another assignment, and do it again and again. It gets tiresome Sometimes, you spend the night out on the fire.

Also, since you need some education in fire control, lightning strikes can smolder for weeks and then pop up as a fire. We have planes that fly over the forest each day during high fire danger days looking for exactly that. Canada is a huge country, remote, and probably can't do that due to the area that needs coverage. We also now have computers that can track lightning strikes, but it still takes humans to go take care of the smokes.

And yes, there is arson out there. But blaming a mythical organization for it is ignorant and dangerous. In 2020, fires broke out in Western Oregon when a gale blew through, knocking trees down on power lines and starting fires. Idiots posted on line that antifa was starting the fires. "Locals" held some strangers at gun point thinking that the strangers were antifa arsonists. That's how a lies get people killed. You folks need to stop it. You will get somebody shot by an idiot.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ation-oregon-wildfires-spreading-social-media

We have a county fire facebook page here. Some of the not so good at thinking people have tried to blame political groups for the fires, and the moderators quickly take their posts off and ban the idiots from posting more hatred.

Educate yourself before posting. It takes self discipline and work, but can be done.

People have made their politics their identity. They have an ingroup and an outgroup. The outgroup is almost solely responsible for all the bad things that happen to the ingroup. Once the outgroup has been vilified to the point of caricature boogiemen theres literally nothing the ingroup wont believe about the outgroup, as long as it further justifies their hatred. Theres people in the states that believe gay folk cause hurricanes and tornadoes. It's impossible to unwind that.

Wow. A lot of ignorance is shown in last two pages or so of this thread.

Anyway… So the thunderstorm in Québec thing isn’t hard to explain. I’ll lay it out real simply, line by line. Most of you already know this, but maybe it will be easier to understand for… Well, we all know who.

Lightning is hot, like really hot. It will burn you, leaves, wood, whatever, it doesn’t care.

The problem is that when thunderstorms roll through in the eastern portion of North America there’s usually high RH and dew point temperature. That keeps the outside of fuels moist, cool and not volatile enough to burn.

Again, lightning is hot and doesn’t really care about that. It strikes, that moisture is instantaneously driven away and it lights stuff off.

The moisture in the air isn’t enough to put it out, and the fuels are stuck in limbo as the little heat the smoldering fire puts off is just enough to keep light flashy fuels smoldering.

When a high pressure system comes in, temperatures rise and RH, along with fuel moisture drops. The smoldering fire can actually generate flames and more heat from light, flashy fuels because it’s no longer fighting the moisture it was before. It then follows one of the three ways to move heat and lights more things on fire.

Happy Independence Day! I’m glad we’ve had a wet last couple of months, because my field unit is OOS, and it never fails as someone usually lights at least a field off with fireworks. Hope everyone here that actually does fire has a quiet day.

One thing we now have, that helps, is a satellite system of some kind that can put each lightning strike on a map. Those strikes can be watched via airplanes. And, we have Lightning Bill, one of the last professional lookouts on duty.

A strike can smolder for weeks and then pop up when conditions are just right. Old stumps and the base of snags are good for that.

So far, the fireworkers have been quiet. Fireworks are illegal out in the county but not in town. However, we know that some people are special and laws do not apply to them. Stay tuned as we've had hot temps and winds the past few days here.

We have a bit of smoke that has drifted in from Beautiful British Columbia.

Back