Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And more from SoCal:
Near Lake Isabella, Kern County
1434461c94fd5fca2d6543a09cefa639.jpg
0b247b89f57016328e0be06ddb3d49d7.jpg

It made a run to the north then about 10pm it blew up again heading west last nigh .

10:52pm for looking from Breckenridge lookout in kern county.
breckenridge_2-2252.jpg

I spent most of yesterday surveying hazard trees with a Cal Fire division chief on the Sobranes fire in Monterey County. So they have had 10 dozer rollovers including the one fatality. He said the green sheet is completely wrong in its account and that the (very sleazy) contractor is trying to save his tail. He explained what had really happened. We have also experienced thousands of dollars in stolen redwood by another (even sleazier) contractor with big time connections.

Does his account of what happen include multiple other contractors denying an assignment? I heard something to that effect the day after it happened.

Wow. People never seem to waste a tragedy to turn a profit....

I reside in the salinas valley. Wow it's a small world

Yes that has been the case. It is on almost every large fire. I hope Gologit docks his boat long enough to jump in here to elaborate. Maybe slowp has input too.

Kyler read the green sheet and look at the pics. The rollover happened almost on the pavement and the total distance was only 15'. It was in spitting distance of where Matt Will was killed in a dozer rollover a few years ago. CalDOG has a link to that incident.

I have read the green sheet...

What I meant was the next day multiple people were spreading the rumor that this guy was on the exact same ridge as Matt will and 5 different operators declined an assignment because of it being to dangerous and this guy decided to try it...
They were also trying to place blame on a cal fire captain for continuing to send dozers down the ridge.

I have no idea how this rumor even got started.
I always told them to wait until the green sheet is posted...
I heard the contractor this guy worked for was pretty shady

Either way it looks like his death could have been completely prevented. It's very unfortunate...

Chimney Fire in San Luis Obispo County - From Cal Fire: Fire is now at 19,909 acres and 35% contained, with evacuation ORDERS Bryson Hesperia, Oak Shores, CalShasta, Rancho de Lago, & South Shores Village.. Evacuation shelter at Flamson elementary.

Up from 9,000 yesterday with long range spotting issues and a S-wind pushing it to words Fort Hunter Liggett

I have read the green sheet...

What I meant was the next day multiple people were spreading the rumor that this guy was on the exact same ridge as Matt will and 5 different operators declined an assignment because of it being to dangerous and this guy decided to try it...
They were also trying to place blame on a cal fire captain for continuing to send dozers down the ridge.

I have no idea how this rumor even got started.
I always told them to wait until the green sheet is posted...
I heard the contractor this guy worked for was pretty shady

Either way it looks like his death could have been completely prevented. It's very unfortunate...
Kyler he rolled the dozer on the road. A rookie mistake that was entirely preventable.

You might want to introduce yourself here. We're a tough crowd. LOL

Yes that has been the case. It is on almost every large fire. I hope Gologit docks his boat long enough to jump in here to elaborate. Maybe slowp has input too.

Kyler read the green sheet and look at the pics. The rollover happened almost on the pavement and the total distance was only 15'. It was in spitting distance of where Matt Will was killed in a dozer rollover a few years ago. CalDOG has a link to that incident.

https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2016/08/05/soberanes-fire-bulldozer-operator-killed/

Thanks Bob. Yeah, I had heard all that and read the Green Sheet but I have heard much more than is noted there. I don't know if it will all turn out to be true or not but the contractor is done for. I hope he goes to prison. (Cal Fire's version makes the rollover sound like it was completely the fault of a cocky rookie dozer operator.)

We had a near-miss recently when a pretty green DZOP didn't look back often enough and an alder branch stabbed through the screen near his armpit. I took that one personally as I was bossing the dozer at the time, and the brush was dense enough that a flagline wouldn't be visible but I had to stay ahead of the machine far enough to not get clobbered myself. I was leading with a flag on the end of my shovel. It was a little D-4 with no glass, just a cage and ROPS. No injuries, thankfully, but the damage to the cage shook us both up a little. The line we cut was where it needed to be, but was there a better way to lead? A better way to operate? Probably. I haven't figured out the lessons learned on this one yet.

Yeah that's a tough one. I have about 7-800 hours on a D6H doing the same time of work in steep terrain. Company I used to work for had a ranch to hunt on so I was always cleaning roads and clearing brush. I had a close call once. While cleaning a road a low hanging limb came in through the open cab and pushed on the left joystick causing it to turn the machine to the right towards the drop off on the side of the road. Lucky as it turned it also broke the limb off and fell to the ground. Right when that was happening I was kicking the throttle control lever forward to kill the machine while standing on the brake with my other foot. Scared the crap out of me... I had been driving through low hanging branches of trees all day but never even came close to a branch big enough that could do that... Needless to say I steer clear of them now. I even carry a saw with me to cut the limbs when I'm on a narrow road I can't swerve around the limbs and branches.
Was it my fault? Absolutely. If your bossing and the operator runs into something like that I don't think it could be your fault unless you were the one backing him up.

We had a near-miss recently when a pretty green DZOP didn't look back often enough and an alder branch stabbed through the screen near his armpit. I took that one personally as I was bossing the dozer at the time, and the brush was dense enough that a flagline wouldn't be visible but I had to stay ahead of the machine far enough to not get clobbered myself. I was leading with a flag on the end of my shovel. It was a little D-4 with no glass, just a cage and ROPS. No injuries, thankfully, but the damage to the cage shook us both up a little. The line we cut was where it needed to be, but was there a better way to lead? A better way to operate? Probably. I haven't figured out the lessons learned on this one yet.
Yes, there is a better way. You and an assistant, bright ass paintballs in 2 sweet guns, blaze cat dude a trail he can see from space.

[emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

Nate what you need is an IMR-3M. Give a call to the Russian consulate (give my name as a reference) and order one up.

Back