Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Glen! How are things on your end? Fell any big timber lately?

I was actually using that husky 394, she's a real strong runner, you sold me a couple of years these past few days in some decent sized white pine...

Hey Glen!
How are things on your end? Fell any big timber lately?

I was actually using that husky 394, she's a real strong runner, you sold me a couple of years these past few days in some decent sized white pine...
Hey Glen! How are things on your end? Fell any big timber lately?

Alex ; I was thinking about you the other day, and wondered if that saw was still running. . Thats great. It made me good money, Sounds like its doing the same for you. . !!

A few from last week's fire:

62c9b14ecf64b46c7d04c11849cdd95f.jpg

ed650b15613e393a543075ca933ef20e.jpg

1b7bd189a273eecc469bca25ca74b6a1.jpg

5296db6f650e608925ef0ca12f6130c1.jpg

6fc194a0a12ed1c53d70b0ca34af81d4.jpg

cd6fcf930aa11b77f7bc6a9ff9716f31.jpg

This thing kept us busy for 4 days and still needs monitoring.

Falling , on a fire is different than production falling . It has to be . When I production fall , I work for 6-7 hours. By and large , non stop saw in the cut , about as fast as I can go . . Big difference in 6-7 hour days and only being concerned with cutting timber . And 16 hour days where your primary goal is to not get cooked like a sausage on a camp fire.

Hi Everyone !
Well , I gotta publicly eat humble pie here.
... I will say , that of the dozens of guys I saw running a power saw on this fire . I wouldnt of hired a single one of them . Well ok there were 2 that showed promise. but . I just couldnt watch any of them. . Ok so ya may be wondering about my humble pie eating . . What I did learn is , Those same guys KNEW !! how to keep me alive and safe !!!!! Yall understand the forest in a way I had never experienced. . Had to go hide in The Black and or make tracks to a Safety Zone several times .
I wouldn't worry about it. Many (most) hand crew sawyers couldn't cut it as a faller. I have a few buddies that have been on crews, and they always say the definition of sawyer is someone that doesn't like to dig. But all of the professional firefighters should be good at the fire behavior thing. I always enjoy working with contract fallers, never failed to learn something.

As short staffed as we are each year, we straight up couldn't fight fires where I work without dozers. Dozers are great.

Dozers are probably the best thing to happen to wildland firefighting since the concept of learning fire behavior. There aren't a lot of young guys who want to fight fire anymore. And, a lot of older guys are retiring, so the mechanization of using dozers isn't so bad.

Even tho we had done a tremendous amount of work with the dozers, a hoe and 3 line crews . . the work looked GREAT . But the spots turned to slop and it got on the back side of the ridge we were on and got up into the piles I had pushedup.
That's the dance you do in a fire, lay too much wood down, it can be a spot for a slash pile from hell.

Don't cut enough, you can leave candles, hazards, etc.

Latest posts

Back