Fireplace Insert/Stove Circulating Fans And Shrouds: Check

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayatollah

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After giving my insert and flue pipe a thorough cleaning today, I removed the fan assembly to suck out some particles that would not come out from the outside. I was a little surprised at how much dust, dog hair, and build-up of fine particles there was in there. I ended up taking the assembly all apart because, even though it was fine dust, it wouldn't budge with the shop-vad, even up close. Gawd...there was lots of fiberous mats in there all packed in, and the squirrel cage type fans were full of the packed dust on each individual blade. I had to run that vac up close and get a soft bristled brush in there to break it up and suck it up as it turned into dust again. I'd rather have removed them, but they're plastic, and pressed on, so I just envisioned them warping. In the end, it took about an hour to get all the junk outta there. Some was in the motor and speed control switch, which ain't a place you want something that will catch fire from a spark. That build-up on the fan blades also can't be too good for the little motor that propels them either.

My only regret was that I reassembled the whole works and then thought of lubricating whatever passed for bearings on the shaft.

Last edited:
Mine has developed a cricket-like chirping at low speeds. Its been 5 years since install, so I need to take the apart as well.

How long before cleaning did you wait? I can't imagine mine being pretty.

Mine has developed a cricket-like chirping at low speeds. Its been 5 years since install, so I need to take the apart as well.

How long before cleaning did you wait? I can't imagine mine being pretty.

I always put the shop vac around it each time it was emptied of ash, but as far as taking it apart.....never until now. It's been a decade.

And unfortunately they did not provide for a filter, and something after the fact is not really practical

Last edited:
Back