Fireplace project is finally done!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boda65

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK, we have been burning since October, but I finally got the gumtion to get the last piece of trim on, so I can say it is officially complete. We started by tearing out the old brick chimney back in June. It went from the basement floor to 4 ft above the second story peak. Made a bunch of trips down stairs with 2 five gallon buckets full of bricks.

It is a Heat and Glo Northstar zero clearance fireplace. It is an epa certified efficient woodburner. It is constructed like an airtight woodstove inside of an insulated jacket. It has two "heat kits" which tap into the airspace between the fire box and the jacket. A fan at a remote register then pulls air from it. I ran one upstairs and one to the farthest room. It really helps to even out the heat.
fireplace.jpg

IIRC, it is supposed to heat 2500 square feet but I think that is slightly on the generous side. Actually it probably would be fine in a modern house that size, but I have a 2200 sq.ft. drafty old farmhouse. It has kept up with everything so far except when it was 16 degrees with 40+ MPH winds.
fireplace2.jpg

My wife and I have done everything except the actual stove pipe installation. It is a double wall pipe that pulls in outside air at the base, and circulates it up between the two layers. In retrospect, I'm sure we could have done that as well.
Here is a close up of the tile, it is slate in a pinwheel design.
tilecloseup.jpg

It is the first I have heated with wood since I bought the place in '96. It feels good to be back in the game and stickin' it to the propane man;)

Wow, that looks Great!!! I love looking at the home projects people here tackle, and yours is a work of art, you'all should be proud !!!

Nice job boda, sure makes it all worth while when you get done with a project and can sit in front of it and enjoy the warmth.

Beefie

That is really awesome. I like the slate, rep for a great job; as well as being from NW Ohio. I grew up near Defiance, you can find a lot worse spots.

Latest posts

Back