Firewood Cutting Table, saw horse.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Splitter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Firewood Buddies,

I have an idea of something I want to make but first want to get some other people opinions first. I am in the firewood selling business and this is my 3rd year doing so. I currently have a logging truck bring me the logs and drop them in my yard. I cut them from the pile they are laying in and then take to my splitter. I want to make something so i can say cut a 22' long log into thirds or in half and take the logs to thid jig so i dont have to bend as much, or better yet something that the logging truck can unload onto that will help me cut faster…Do you guys see where i am heading here. Any and all ideas appreciated. Someone out there has to have made something that will work. Maybe some sort of holder that can hold say 6-10 logs on it that are 8' to 12' long and just zip right thru them.

Thanks Guys

I am not sure if the first post in this thread is sort of what you are referring to, but seems to be a pretty slick tool. In his application he is loading the wagon as he is collecting the wood, whereas you would be working from stacks -- would the additional handling be worth the results.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/153256.htm

As for a saw horse (bucking horse) set-up here is mine I made from different plans and photos from a thread here on AS. I tapered the tops to allow more secure resting of the log(s) to be cut and shortened the front (cutting side) to avoid interference or knuckle busting while cutting. With this set-up, I trim both ends and cut to the right of the two remaining X's -- which yields 3 -- 16" rounds. Works great for the 4" to maybe 8" branches. You could scale this to whatever size you need and given your more commercial application beef up the design and / or materials.

Here is my now 8 y/o showing me how its done with "Little Ripper" as he calls it. And no the saw is not running -- neither he or I are ready for that at the moment.

View attachment 205415

Hey thanks alot for the reply:

though you attachment did not come through.

I am not sure if the first post in this thread is sort of what you are referring to, but seems to be a pretty slick tool. In his application he is loading the wagon as he is collecting the wood, whereas you would be working from stacks -- would the additional handling be worth the results.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/153256.htm

As for a saw horse (bucking horse) set-up here is mine I made from different plans and photos from a thread here on AS. I tapered the tops to allow more secure resting of the log(s) to be cut and shortened the front (cutting side) to avoid interference or knuckle busting while cutting. With this set-up, I trim both ends and cut to the right of the two remaining X's -- which yields 3 -- 16" rounds. Works great for the 4" to maybe 8" branches. You could scale this to whatever size you need and given your more commercial application beef up the design and / or materials.

Here is my now 8 y/o showing me how its done with "Little Ripper" as he calls it. And no the saw is not running -- neither he or I are ready for that at the moment.

View attachment 205415

I have been using two 14 foot logs stacked together on a log cradle, then the wood to be cut is places in the "V" between the logs, I am lucky enough to have a mini excavator with a thumb for loading the wood, My 10 year old runs it, whilst I do the cutting, he loves it and it keeps him interested in helping me, I will get a video of the set-up this weekend and post it up, works slick for me...

I would love to see it work. Thanks a bunch!

I have been using two 14 foot logs stacked together on a log cradle, then the wood to be cut is places in the "V" between the logs, I am lucky enough to have a mini excavator with a thumb for loading the wood, My 10 year old runs it, whilst I do the cutting, he loves it and it keeps him interested in helping me, I will get a video of the set-up this weekend and post it up, works slick for me...

I am getting my splitting setup put together now and have been studying on what you are trying to do for some time now. I blew out my back a few years ago and am limited in what I can do. Basically I can pick up a water buffalo if it's at chest height. A chewing gum wrapper may be a problem if it's between my feet. Here is my solution (theory), such that it is.

I'm going to build a self contained rack, much like what a firewood processor uses on something like this.

Multitek Inc

Unlike a processor, this rack is stand alone so the splitter just sits next/under it but isn't part of the overall setup. That way if I have to do something stupid large on the splitter I can just pull it away.

The idea is, fell the tree, buck and cut into 10' or so lengths, use my skid steer to carry the logs to the rack and load the rack with tree length wood. Wood now is chest high. Move the wood by hand across the rack and into a slightly lower V channel where I advance the wood via a hydraulically driven chain exactly like a processor. (If hydraulics don't work out, I'll use rollers so it's easy to move by hand). Cut the wood at appropriate length, again by hand until I can build/scrounge a buck saw and let it drop right onto the splitter, again much like a processor.

Unlike a processer, this system won't be size limited as it doesn't need to be as confined so it can be automated. The splits should come out onto wings, where they are picked up and stacked. The only time I'm bent over is when I'm cutting off the stump. Admittedly having a skid steer is a huge part of this but I should be able to split all day without bending over (in theory)

Anyway, that's my plan. Of course I have to actually build it, use it, find what works and doesn't, refine it, etc. I should know in about 3 years if it works. :)

Good luck!

Link no workie

Sorry -- I was in a bit of hurry when I posted this. Here is my son Nolan with Little Ripper working the saw buck.

Flat_Luigi2004.jpg

Back