Firewood for tree removal - Small scale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mich4x4

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all... New guy but long time lurker... have a few questions. Not sure if this is the correct forum for my question.... but here we go.

I heat my home and hunting camp with wood most of the winter. I am 37 years old and actually enjoy processing my own firewood rather than buying it from a firewood seller. My problem is that I do not have property or access to standing deadwood to cut for my uses. I burn a few cords of wood per year and am wondering how others go about getting wood to split and burn? I live in MI so there are quite a lot of forest around. Most is private property. I have cut some small stuff on the easements but it just isn't enough.

I have a few saws, trailer, truck and access to a splitter if need be... I have experience cutting/felling trees for family and friends. Does anyone have suggestions with regards to getting logs to process into firewood? Ie. What have you done to get free firewood? I was thinking about posting a craiglist ad for free tree removal in exchange for the wood I cut. I am not licensed or insured so I would make sure the ad clearly states that I will not cut large tress or trees any where near utilities or structures (leave that up to the professionals). Is this a good idea? I live in a semi-rural area so there are plenty of farms and privately owned acreage in the area... I have thought about knocking some doors but am not sure...

Do most professional tree companies sell firewood or do they scrap the stuff they cut?

I hate buying firewood...

Suggestions... ?

Thanks
Jeff

Try your local tree service companies. They are always looking for places to drop off sawn up trees versus paying to dispose of them.

Welcomed to AS. I've tried Craigslist but not much response. I've found word of mouth works the best in my area. I knocked on a few doors and got a few trees. I cut those trees safely, in a timely fashion, and left the area very clean when I left. Word spread and now people come looking for me. I've even had a few pay for dropping some of those trees. Ask tree guys what they do with the wood and you might land some nice scores from them.

Welcome, and welcome to the global community of scroungers.

What works:
Be ready for major storms, and to clear peoples' driveways and such for a couple bucks and the wood. (Complete cleanup costs extra, of course.)
Contact local tree services to let them know just where they can drop wood above a certain size.
Contact local farmers and let them know what services you can provide. Then prove that you're a person of your word. They'll spread the word.
Check if you can get cutting permits for state forests. Can be a real bargain. Watch out for EAB.
With luck, you'll have as much as you can handle. Good thing, because you'll really want to be 5+ years ahead. That way the wood will approach its best quality. Selling excess can't hurt.

Be careful with the CL post. Should something go wrong, it will not be worth the hassle. Some tree places sell their stuff around here, usually cheaper than log loads, but you get what you pay for (bug infested, mostly rotted middles, etc.). People don't usually have good trees removed. The ones that give it away for free just to avoid the hassle of paying dump fees, tell you in advance they dump EVERYTHING they take down. Its mostly crap not worth the time cutting and splitting.

Asking farmers can't hurt. Problem trees, fenceline trees, stuff that falls in the pasture, etc. just be clear where and when you can go and which trees are fair game, and don't leave ruts in working fields, or leave gates open, etc.

After big logging outfits have gone through some place, might could be a ton of decent wood to scrounge, the leftover tops and branches.

orchards when they prune in the winter (fruitwood)

After storms, trees down in the road. not off on someones property, but legit in the road trees.
or trees and branches down in people's yards, just ask. No one home, leave a nice note with contact info. ya never know.

You can always buy "on the hoof" wood like that is usually pretty cheap, if someone wants to sell off their grade B wood/crooked trees/non prime species, etc.

Most CL ads for free wood are people cheapinhg out and wanting someone to cut down their wicked nasty problem tree that would cost them two grand for a tree service to even show up.

MOST, not all. Read the craigslist laughs thread for ads to avoid...

Look into getting a permit to cut off of state forest land

And yes, put your own ad out, just learn to say no fast to technical takedown scammers who want you to work free or even pay them to do expensive tree work.

Take advantage of species bias and prejudice. a lot of the areas of the nation, the locals only consider x,y,z to be "good firewood", everything else is "junik". Thing is, a lot of junk wood is good wood someplace else! Much easier to get given the lesser quality species sometimes.

Another one, long shot but some get it, is contact all the local tree services and tell them you can accept logs and big branches, see if they will bring you loads.

Some towns have solid wood waste disposal areas at the dump or some other place, you might could get some there.

Some people with more wood than time or energy might do a swap, let you cut on their land for some firewood for themselves. Maybe you cut..dunno..six cords, they get one. Something like that. Could get primo quality that way.

Wow.... Thanks for the warm welcome!! I really appreciate the suggestions and all the responses. I am going to take some of the advice here and see what I can do. Permit for state forest cutting sounds like a good idea... I will have to look that one up. There are several tree services in the area, I will contact them and ask what they do with their cut wood. I assume some, if not all, of them probably already have some firewood guy that takes the rounds.. wouldnt hurt to ask I guess...

Thanks again guys.
Jeff

Stop and ask every tree crew you see when out and about. They might be willing to load it for you....into a pick up is a lot easier than getting it into a chip box. Be the guy that shows up with a pizza or cold gatorades for the crew....something that gets you remembered in a good way.

What Del_ said happens more and more. A widow lady called to see if I would cut a couple dead trees. When I got there, there was a huge oak out in the open that the drought got, and two smaller ones wrapped in live trees on the property line. She only wants me to cut the two as her son burns wood and is going to cut the huge oak out in the open.

I haven't decided if I want to mess with it.

Brian

What Del_ said happens more and more. A widow lady called to see if I would cut a couple dead trees. When I got there, there was a huge oak out in the open that the drought got, and two smaller ones wrapped in live trees on the property line. She only wants me to cut the two as her son burns wood and is going to cut the huge oak out in the open.

Brian

Is she paying you to cut the 2 trees, or is the firewood your only gain?

Don't think you'll get much free wood from the professional tree removal guys when they find out your doing their work for free. Much easier to make the rounds and let them know that you are interested in taking rounds from their jobs. Most of them are happy to give it away and will often dump it right in your yard.

All great ideas and advice. Thanks! I looked at the MI DNR site and it is $20.00 for a Fuelwood permit. The permit allows you to harvest 5 full cords of wood within a 90 day period. The catch... The wood must be on the ground already. Cutting of any standing tree is prohibited and all of the areas that are open to cutting are 3.5 hours north of me. Time I figure in cost of gas for the truck, pulling the trailer, it just isn't worth it. I am going to try and source some wood locally. Next step is to contact tree services and farmers.

Thanks
Jeff

I would suggest that when you go to the 'free' sites, tell them you'll take the wood for free, but if they want the brush gone, they'll have to pay you to do that. Whatever you deem worth it. Add up how long it will take to load, haul and dump it somewhere, and put an hourly rate to it. That way the owners will at least get an idea that they ought to be paying somebody for their efforts, rather than getting a free handout all the time.

I would suggest that when you go to the 'free' sites, tell them you'll take the wood for free, but if they want the brush gone, they'll have to pay you to do that. Whatever you deem worth it. Add up how long it will take to load, haul and dump it somewhere, and put an hourly rate to it. That way the owners will at least get an idea that they ought to be paying somebody for their efforts, rather than getting a free handout all the time.

Good idea! Thanks!

Wait Until it's On The Grund

Hello all... New guy but long time lurker... have a few questions. Not sure if this is the correct forum for my question.... but here we go.

I heat my home and hunting camp with wood most of the winter. I am 37 years old and actually enjoy processing my own firewood rather than buying it from a firewood seller. My problem is that I do not have property or access to standing deadwood to cut for my uses. I burn a few cords of wood per year and am wondering how others go about getting wood to split and burn? I live in MI so there are quite a lot of forest around. Most is private property. I have cut some small stuff on the easements but it just isn't enough.

I have a few saws, trailer, truck and access to a splitter if need be... I have experience cutting/felling trees for family and friends. Does anyone have suggestions with regards to getting logs to process into firewood? Ie. What have you done to get free firewood? I was thinking about posting a craiglist ad for free tree removal in exchange for the wood I cut. I am not licensed or insured so I would make sure the ad clearly states that I will not cut large tress or trees any where near utilities or structures (leave that up to the professionals). Is this a good idea? I live in a semi-rural area so there are plenty of farms and privately owned acreage in the area... I have thought about knocking some doors but am not sure...

Do most professional tree companies sell firewood or do they scrap the stuff they cut?

I hate buying firewood...

Suggestions... ?

Thanks
Jeff
First of all, there is no such thing as free firewood. People with trees that need to be felled will take advantage of a guy looking for firewood. You will earn every dime by felling someone else's trees and it may be hazardous. Drop the tree on a building or an innocent bystander and watch the sparks fly. The "firewood" will suddenly become very expensive.

Nowadays many tree companies shred all but the largest chunks of the tree and sell the mulch. They may allow you to pick up the really heavy stuff if they are not already in the firewood business. Heck, some tree trimmers don't want to mess with that big stuff, so if you have a strong back and want to haul away big rounds to a splitter for firewood, you might be able to process it.

I say leave tree felling to the companies paying for liability insurance and wait until that tree is dropped before you offer any help to obtain "free" firewood.

I don't cut down trees for free nor do I clear brush. Once a tree is on the ground I have no problems cutting it up. Since I am in the city I often have to haul the wood out of yards by hand. I figure that is the work that the "free" firewood pays for.

I leave the felling for the "pros". There is plenty of money saving for the home/property owner by not having to deal with some of the clean up. I make it clear up front what I am willing to do and so far I have no shortage of firewood. I'm even getting lazy. I used to travel 10-20 miles for wood, now I don't like to go more than 5.

Around me you can find someone to drop a good sized tree for a couple hundred bucks. If you want that same tree gone from your yard that easily triples or quadruples the price. Let's say that good sized tree is two cords of wood. It is worth (around me) $150-200 per cord after you haul it home, split, stack, dry, and then deliver it to someone else. That isn't enough money to make it worth dealing with dropping trees and clearing brush.

I often wonder if some of the wood that I haul by hand out of people's back yards is worth the effort. If I didn't enjoy the work then I really don't think it is.

Please don't drop trees and clear brush for the firewood. You will ruin it for the rest of us scroungers.

Brian

she would be paying,,for the privilege of you cutting those two...sounds like she wants a sucker,,as son gets oak tree....

True, but she is a widow woman and the two smaller trees that I can have, I can still drive right up to them. She told me that she would stack the brush.

I don't leave much behind when I cut. If it's the size of my wrist, I'll cut it.

Brian

First of all, there is no such thing as free firewood. People with trees that need to be felled will take advantage of a guy looking for firewood. You will earn every dime by felling someone else's trees and it may be hazardous. Drop the tree on a building or an innocent bystander and watch the sparks fly. The "firewood" will suddenly become very expensive.

Nowadays many tree companies shred all but the largest chunks of the tree and sell the mulch. They may allow you to pick up the really heavy stuff if they are not already in the firewood business. Heck, some tree trimmers don't want to mess with that big stuff, so if you have a strong back and want to haul away big rounds to a splitter for firewood, you might be able to process it.

I say leave tree felling to the companies paying for liability insurance and wait until that tree is dropped before you offer any help to obtain "free" firewood.

Listen to wood doctor you do NOT want to get in a property damage hassle. I work at a tree service and have seen the bull my boss has had to go through, and he Has insurance. Folks get pissed when trees smash things, and then there are utilitys and thats even worse. Stick with the farmers and stuff on the ground. Dont know about public land permits in MI i live in oregon there is alot of public land and permits are easy to get.

Back