Firewood ops after shoulder surgery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Cringle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Youngish senior citizen here. Will be getting arthroscopic surgery on a torn rotator cuff. Even assuming I follow all the recovery and rehab guidance, I imagine I'll be differently-abled afterwards. I harvest 10-15 medium and large trees per winter, to put up 6-7 cord. No heavy equipment, just chainsaws and logging tools. Split by hand. Enjoy it. Curious how others have adjusted their firewood operation to this sort of change of life. Thx in advance for any comments. CC

I had the surgery years ago. Six weeks of 'no using' your arm, then 2 months of 'Light Duty'. At the six month mark I was able to do heavy work again. You'll never be 100% again so don't push it or you'll damage it. Best to buy firewood now if you need it than to have to pay copays for a redo.

Had my rotator repaired several years ago. Did the PT, but had work to do also. I was taking metal off a roof of a house that had been damaged in a tornado. Had arm in sling, but still climbing up on the roof with a drill in the other hand. Got up there, then couldnt climb down. Finally had to drop the drill. Anyways, Long term, I dont try throwing a ball or rock because it hurts to do so. I can tell when I try to lift to much weight because it hurts to do so. I dont know if a torn rotator ever gets better, but mine isnt what it once was.

Curious how others have adjusted their firewood operation to this sort of change of life.
I had ordered a SuperSplit. Between ordering it and receiving it, I had hernia surgery.
The SuperSplit has a T-axle under the flywheels/engine end and a single leg under the optional table. I could pick up the table end, but could not push even in the garage on flat concrete. Certainly not in the wood lot, or pull the table end up to the conveyor for at least a month after, and even then it was awkward. I added forklift tubes tucked under the beam out of the way. A couple years later moved the T-axle to under the table and a steer axle under the engine to move it more easily without the forklift. I can pull it inside at night with the quad(forklift is too high to do that) and push it by hand up to the conveyor, then remove the tongue.
I also use a log deck for cutting to avoid lifting cut rounds from the ground, and the Posch PackFix to eliminate picking splits up off the ground after coming off the conveyor. Small adjustments as I'm getting older. I seem to be slowing down however.
Good luck recovering.
Practice your listing skills when at the doctors, and let it heal right the first time.
It may seem forever + a month, but if you don't, good chance you missed you chance.
IMG_0433.jpgIMG_2119.jpgIMG_5164.jpgIMG_0240.jpg

A lot to do before you get back to firewood. If you don’t have a recliner, get one. I didn’t have one and suffered greatly trying to sleep. Do your PT, particularly the stretches. Get a suicide knob for your steering wheel. Limit loading an outstretched arm. Avoid shoulder height cutting. Be patient - you don’t want to injury yourself again. Don’t be surprised if they find other damage while they are in there - doc discovered I had busted my bicep too. In general just be more cautious. If your other shoulder is suspect as well, the extra use it will get will make it sore so try to give it a rest as well from time to time.

To your direct question - limiting outstretched work, shoulder/overhead work and steering wheel work will help keep your shoulders happy. Using a cant hook or peavy should be avoided until you are healed and used cautiously thereafter.
Ron

I had ordered a SuperSplit. Between ordering it and receiving it, I had hernia surgery.
The SuperSplit has a T-axle under the flywheels/engine end and a single leg under the optional table. I could pick up the table end, but could not push even in the garage on flat concrete. Certainly not in the wood lot, or pull the table end up to the conveyor for at least a month after, and even then it was awkward. I added forklift tubes tucked under the beam out of the way. A couple years later moved the T-axle to under the table and a steer axle under the engine to move it more easily without the forklift. I can pull it inside at night with the quad(forklift is too high to do that) and push it by hand up to the conveyor, then remove the tongue.
I also use a log deck for cutting to avoid lifting cut rounds from the ground, and the Posch PackFix to eliminate picking splits up off the ground after coming off the conveyor. Small adjustments as I'm getting older. I seem to be slowing down however.
Good luck recovering.
Practice your listing skills when at the doctors, and let it heal right the first time.
It may seem forever + a month, but if you don't, good chance you missed you chance.
View attachment 948126View attachment 948127View attachment 948128View attachment 948129
Hey sandhill, what kind of orange wagon trailer is that? I need one.

Youngish senior citizen here. Will be getting arthroscopic surgery on a torn rotator cuff. Even assuming I follow all the recovery and rehab guidance, I imagine I'll be differently-abled afterwards. I harvest 10-15 medium and large trees per winter, to put up 6-7 cord. No heavy equipment, just chainsaws and logging tools. Split by hand. Enjoy it. Curious how others have adjusted their firewood operation to this sort of change of life. Thx in advance for any comments. CC
Get a log splitter it will help. I am 63 and would not be able to do it without a splitter

Get a log splitter it will help. I am 63 and would not be able to do it without a splitter
Yep. Along with a 4 or 6 way wedge. You'll never look back. I can split a face cord every 15 minutes by myself with my 4 way.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm only 47, but years of abuse have severally limited what I can now do with my right shoulder. I can still swing an ax for a while, but I leave the maul in the garage. Eventually, I will have to have the surgery.

Find a used hydraulic splitter. Around here you can usually find a used one in decent shape for $500 if you are patient.

I'd also consider getting a tractor of some kind with a loader if you can. Bigger is better, but even a small 16hp machine will drastically reduce the amount of labor required on your part. Plan on spending $8K to $10K for an old used one, but they sure do make the work go a lot easier. I bought an old Ford 1710 a few years ago after stepping into a hole while carrying a large hickory round. I had already loaded and stacked several thousand pounds onto my equipment trailer, and was very lucky that I didn't get severely injured. Now that I have one, I'll NEVER be without it again. If you get a bigger machine (25hp or more), it can also run a splitter on the 3 point hitch.

Latest posts

Back