Firewood planting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have just received a fantastic package from another member here. :D. Seeds from white oak, shagbark and black walnut. Now these are not native to scotland, but what do you guys do to prep and indeed sow these types.

Have read about stratification, basically chilling them to stimulate and simulate winter, but others say not required.

Help, want to give these kind gifts the best chance of being included in my woodland.

Ps thanks again Zogger. :numberone:

White oak should be planted in the fall as soon as you harvest them. Dig them in maybe an inch and they sprout. Stratify the shagbark and walnut and spring plant them. Typical planting depths are 2 to 3 times the diameter of the acorn/seed. For a black walnut that is pretty darned deep. Black walnut is much like the carpathian walnut in arboriculture so your local arborist should be able to help a lot with that one.

All of them went through some cold freezing days outside already.

There may be an odd red oak in the batch, and a possibility of more than one type of hickory, but I did the best I could trying to gather from under select good looking trees. Was gonna grab some more pecans but the squirrels done got em all...

Whatever sprouts and grows, just check the leaves and stuff..love to see some pics later when they come up!

Was gonna grab some more pecans but the squirrels done got em all...

i hate those little furry f#@$s
they wake me up almost every night scurrying around the walls and ceilings just taunting me to grab the 10/22 and start shooting wherever i hear noise.
i caught 2 but now they seem to know how to get in and out of the trap without getting caught in it.
they take all the bait, and even set the thing off but pull a houdini and someone are out of it by the time i hear the doors on it slam shut and run up the stairs.
i have chased them around the cabin a few times but they just climb up the walls, and fly down the staircase.
god i hate them so much.

QORVXDX (2).jpg QORVXDX.jpg

they wake me up almost every night scurrying around the walls and ceilings just taunting me to grab the 10/22 and start shooting wherever i hear noise.
i caught 2 but now they seem to know how to get in and out of the trap without getting caught in it.
they take all the bait, and even set the thing off but pull a houdini and someone are out of it by the time i hear the doors on it slam shut and run up the stairs.
i have chased them around the cabin a few times but they just climb up the walls, and fly down the staircase.
god i hate them so much.

View attachment 400274 View attachment 400275

Is that a Flying Squirrel/Sugar Glider?????

Those are cool as hell!!!!

They are the only squirrels I give free reign to. I really like them. I think they are really cool.

I always load the feeders up at night for them in the winter since that's when they feed.

I have a couple of families here and it's fun to watch them torment the dog.

He'll run around the yard barking "not fair, not fair, dammit" as they are zipping from tree to tree.

My parents in Kentucky have a cheeky bunch down there.

I was walking the dogs one night and one zipped right by me and skimmed my parents dog's back. I heard the claws on the fur. It was funnier than hell.

Is that a Flying Squirrel/Sugar Glider?????

Those are cool as hell!!!!

They are the only squirrels I give free reign to. I really like them. I think they are really cool.

I always load the feeders up at night for them in the winter since that's when they feed.

I have a couple of families here and it's fun to watch them torment the dog.

He'll run around the yard barking "not fair, not fair, dammit" as they are zipping from tree to tree.

My parents in Kentucky have a cheeky bunch down there.

I was walking the dogs one night and one zipped right by me and skimmed my parents dog's back. I heard the claws on the fur. It was funnier than hell.

yes, it's a flying squirrel, not a sugar glider.
i have never seen one except inside my cabin.
always used to think they were cool when i saw youtube videos of people having them as pocket pets.
they are NOT cool.
yes they are nocturnal, which is one of the worst parts about them.
there is a family of them living inside my ceilings and walls.
family minus 2 now.
i must have caught the "special" ones.
never knew they lived in this area until they decided to cohabitate with me.
now they live way too close.

i do not want to kill them though, if i do not have to, just catch and release very, VERY far away.

Ask yourself do you really want to plant those trees?

People with good intentions have imports and cultivated non native species here in the states and we suffer the consequences.

Russian olive, multi fora rose bush, chustnut trees(caused chestnut blight), elms(brought Dutch elm disease), emerald ash borer, ect. I am sure I missed a few. Animals purposely brought over include Asian beetles, several species of carp, Japanese beetles, thrips, white flies, alewife, lion fish, European starling and sparrow, ect

While chances are not great, please destroy the seeds and possibly save your community a headache.

Further more, you probably are breaking the law in you country. Importing non native species is illegal in ours (because of past issues) and I can only imagine it is in yours.

Hell, wood in creates now have to be of made made material(plywood) or kiln dried a a specific temp/time before being sent out of country or received into ours!

Ask yourself do you really want to plant those trees?

People with good intentions have imports and cultivated non native species here in the states and we suffer the consequences.

Russian olive, multi fora rose bush, chustnut trees(caused chestnut blight), elms(brought Dutch elm disease), emerald ash borer, ect. I am sure I missed a few. Animals purposely brought over include Asian beetles, several species of carp, Japanese beetles, thrips, white flies, alewife, lion fish, European starling and sparrow, ect

While chances are not great, please destroy the seeds and possibly save your community a headache.

Further more, you probably are breaking the law in you country. Importing non native species is illegal in ours (because of past issues) and I can only imagine it is in yours.

Hell, wood in creates now have to be of made made material(plywood) or kiln dried a a specific temp/time before being sent out of country or received into ours!

Well, I just don't know if those common species would be an issue, but he can look into on his end and decide what to do.

I agree with firebrick43. Stick with indigenous species. While the acorns may not have disease or bugs, you don't know the ramifications of introducing a non-indigenous species into your environment. Sure trees are not typically invasive. They are slow growing and can be cut down, but you have no idea the overall impact of a species on an ecosystem. I know bonsai is highly popular in Europe and many people have non-indigenous species, but they are not letting them fruit and multiply. You'd probably have better results in growing resources if you stick with what naturally grows and does well in your specific climate.

I agree with firebrick43. Stick with indigenous species. While the acorns may not have disease or bugs, you don't know the ramifications of introducing a non-indigenous species into your environment. Sure trees are not typically invasive. They are slow growing and can be cut down, buy you have no idea the overall impact of a species on an ecosystem. I know bonsai is highly popular in Europe and many people have non-indigenous species, but they are not letting them fruit and multiply. You'd probably have better results in growing resources if you stick with what naturally grows and does well in your specific climate.

In retrospect, probably yes.

To the OP, destroy them, burn 'em.

Stratification in fridge and germination are fun. You could start them and keep them bonsai style. I'd consult a local forestry division or whatever agency you have before wild planting around your property. A good resource for growing food plots is QDMA forums.

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11255

I have just received a fantastic package from another member here. :D. Seeds from white oak, shagbark and black walnut. Now these are not native to scotland, but what do you guys do to prep and indeed sow these types.

Have read about stratification, basically chilling them to stimulate and simulate winter, but others say not required.

Help, want to give these kind gifts the best chance of being included in my woodland.

Ps thanks again Zogger. :numberone:

You're going to plant seeds for firewood? So you'll have to wait about how many decades before you can actually burn them? I'm not being a jerk or anything, I'm legitimately curious.

You're going to plant seeds for firewood? So you'll have to wait about how many decades before you can actually burn them? I'm not being a jerk or anything, I'm legitimately curious.

The seeds were never really meant for fire wood for me, but was interested in adding new species to my forrest, possibly for my kids or indeed grand children, we have oak, ash birch beech and sycamore alreay prevalant, with a mixture of others scattered.

the conversation was started when I meantioned in some other thread that in the UK it had been a terrible year for acorns... guess it went from there.

There is enough blow downs and dead to keep me going for the next 3-5 years depending on my usage, however that remains to be seen, new boiler system fitted last august and still finding my feet with it.

For those that are interested I have started my firewood coppice, 100 williow hybrid sets have been planted, these will be cut back winter 2015/16 and the stems used to increase the coppice size to say 5-6 hundred trees. these are then harvested on a rotation over a 5 year period, i.e 1/5 every year, until after year 5 you are harvesting 5 year old timber which should be circa 6" dia. This of course will not be enough but will suppliment the wood from the forrest, and is totally sustainable. google SRC willow.

FYI

I could get all the species Zogger was so kind to post in the uk,

Black Walnut

http://www.walnuttrees.co.uk/shop/walnut-timber-trees/black-walnut

http://www.tree-shop.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productheadingID=899#sthash.YLsmesDU.dpbs

Shagbark

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=5102

list of suppliers

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Nurseries-Search-Result?query=21418&name=<i>Carya ovata</i> (F)

Oak, well we have a few to.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/trees/quercus/oak-identify.asp

Anyway will ponder on how I take this forward and will speak to some of the guys at work, who are parks and grounds officers for the local authority and contact my local forrestry commision officer. but some good points on bio-divestity.

will keep all posted on how this goes.

The seeds were never really meant for fire wood for me, but was interested in adding new species to my forrest, possibly for my kids or indeed grand children, we have oak, ash birch beech and sycamore alreay prevalant, with a mixture of others scattered.

the conversation was started when I meantioned in some other thread that in the UK it had been a terrible year for acorns... guess it went from there.

There is enough blow downs and dead to keep me going for the next 3-5 years depending on my usage, however that remains to be seen, new boiler system fitted last august and still finding my feet with it.

For those that are interested I have started my firewood coppice, 100 williow hybrid sets have been planted, these will be cut back winter 2015/16 and the stems used to increase the coppice size to say 5-6 hundred trees. these are then harvested on a rotation over a 5 year period, i.e 1/5 every year, until after year 5 you are harvesting 5 year old timber which should be circa 6" dia. This of course will not be enough but will suppliment the wood from the forrest, and is totally sustainable. google SRC willow.

FYI

I could get all the species Zogger was so kind to post in the uk,

Black Walnut

http://www.walnuttrees.co.uk/shop/walnut-timber-trees/black-walnut

http://www.tree-shop.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productheadingID=899#sthash.YLsmesDU.dpbs

Shagbark

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=5102

list of suppliers

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Nurseries-Search-Result?query=21418&name=<i>Carya ovata</i> (F)

Oak, well we have a few to.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/trees/quercus/oak-identify.asp

Anyway will ponder on how I take this forward and will speak to some of the guys at work, who are parks and grounds officers for the local authority and contact my local forrestry commision officer. but some good points on bio-divestity.

will keep all posted on how this goes.

Thanks for the update. After seeing the links I found plus now your links, I am not seeing any big problems with it at all, all those species are now introduced and apparently common in the UK.

Good luck with your planting! Planting trees is cool, for yourself, like we planted a small orchard and now they are all bearing fruit, and for the future generations. time travel!

For a short period I lived in Atlanta down this long driveway that came out to an old girls school converted to rooms for let. It was lovely and you wouldn't know it was there, you couldn't see it or the grounds from the road. What was interesting was one of the previous owners (decades previous at some time) was a botanist of some type and there were literally hundreds if not thousands of different tree species on the grounds.

Unfortunately (long irrelevant for the thread story) I didn't get to stay there long enough to see the place during the summer.

god i hate them so much.

View attachment 400274 View attachment 400275

We had some flying squirrels here when we first moved in, but the cats eventually got all of them.

So How long do you plan to live ?.. It takes an oak a hundred years to get mature

Latest posts

Back