Firewood planting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So How long do you plan to live ?.. It takes an oak a hundred years to get mature

Well given that I am 38, I see me having 50+ years still, but like I mentioned in my last post, they would be more for my children or grand children. Anyway just because I might never use them is no reason not to plant trees. That's why we are getting into SRC, the willow will be usable in just 5 years, and will be continually sustainable. might not be the best firewood but, will fill my needs.

Would be interesting to know how many tree's everyone plants for each one they harvest?

No planting needed here - things seem to germinate, sprout & grow on their own. Thinning & silviculture, yes.

Well given that I am 38, I see me having 50+ years still, but like I mentioned in my last post, they would be more for my children or grand children. Anyway just because I might never use them is no reason not to plant trees. That's why we are getting into SRC, the willow will be usable in just 5 years, and will be continually sustainable. might not be the best firewood but, will fill my needs.

Would be interesting to know how many tree's everyone plants for each one they harvest?

Tree planting is something best done when one is young. Not to worry, I worked on a crew during a few seasons and have planted a bit of acreage so my karma is good.
I have no idea of how many--something thousand--because we did the ground that wasn't bid on and I was slow. 400 to 900 a day was probably my range. Scalp off the top of the soil, slam in a hoedad and hope you don't hit rocks, tuck in tree, move dirt around roots, stomp and on to next. Rocky ground will slow things down. Now, if you have a chainsaw auger going, production and quality go up a bit. Survival rates also increase.

I plant a very few here each year--merely 20 or less. I may not plant any this year. My ground is on a boulder patch and I'm running out of space.

After this spring I will technically have planted more trees than I have cut down... I've got roughly 300 seedlings of various species on the way that I intend to use for windbreaks, wildlife sanctuaries, food plots, and just plain ol' blockin out nosy people. Sure, it'll be a few years before I see the "fruits" of my labor, but it's still something worth doing and doing well.

After this spring I will technically have planted more trees than I have cut down... I've got roughly 300 seedlings of various species on the way that I intend to use for windbreaks, wildlife sanctuaries, food plots, and just plain ol' blockin out nosy people. Sure, it'll be a few years before I see the "fruits" of my labor, but it's still something worth doing and doing well.
I've planted very few that survived but my dad, grandpa, and neigbors had sucessfully cultivated many. Seems like they take forever to get from seedling to 6' tall. Now we've got trees that are huge and actually need to be thinned.

Planting random trees and planting to improve diversity are very different. I have planted around 12,000 seedling trees on my own acreage but I cannot say that did anything at all for biodiversity. What it did was give a start to my forestry plan. I never planted any cedar on my land but I have found cedars growing in my planted acres. What the OP is doing is adding to the biodiversity. That has a value in itself. It means that if some disease or bug infestation comes through the area, there may be some species that can resist it and survive. As long as the species planted are not invasive, that is a definite positive.

We had some flying squirrels here when we first moved in, but the cats eventually got all of them.

i'd get another cat, but i dont really like pets all that much.

good news is, #3 has been bagged.. i think i finally figured out a baiting system that works!

he has been fed his last meal and after i am done with my dinner it's time for a gator ride up to the neighbors for release...

giphy.gif

0204151943b.jpg 0204151944b.jpg 0204151945.jpg

Walked the property today and started picking spots, anyone know how to kill brambles(blackberry)? And keep them dead. Have about 1/4 covered in them that would make a great place to cover with oaks. The walnuts are going in a blank spot at the bottom of the garden and the shagbark is still up for grabs.

Most people apply a deadly herbicide to kill them and do so in August and September. I don't like that stuff so I work on a small area and rip them out by hand. Ow ow ow.
And repeat...
Eventually, the little trees I planted should shade out the blackberries. We have problems with an "introduced" species that took over. It is the Himalayan Blackberry. The berries do make good pies.

We named our plot after the thing, Bramble wood, but there are to many and they are far to envasive. But bramble jam, jelly, pies, crumble all taste great. Every hedgerow and road site is a mini desert aisle round here come autumn

Most people apply a deadly herbicide to kill them and do so in August and September. I don't like that stuff so I work on a small area and rip them out by hand. Ow ow ow.
And repeat...
Eventually, the little trees I planted should shade out the blackberries. We have problems with an "introduced" species that took over. It is the Himalayan Blackberry. The berries do make good pies.

I've often wondered that if you were to get the tree while it's still young, say only a couple inches wide at the stump, cut it, and burned it to the ground with one of those propane fired weed-dragon torches if that would permanently kill it instead of having to use some kind of poison?

How did you know about that, beware the men in black knocking on your door:eek:

Well...not skeered...if they come to the door, the old white lab will lick em to death and drown them in drool...

..and if they make it through the door, the pygmy swamp wookie will deafen them with barking as she eats their feet off at the ankles....this will give me enough time to drop down the escape hatch and be off in the zogmobile....

I have planted many black walnut seeds. You can stratify them in a pail of moist sand in your fridge. A couple months will do. Or direct seed them in fall. I planted hundreds a few inches apart a few inches deep and covered them with mulch,then covered with chicken wire. In spring most of them came up, the following fall I dug them out and planted them where I wanted them. The ones I had in the fridge I buried a foot deep , I just dug 1 hole and dump them in ,was just gonna save them if the others didn't come up. I forgot about them and there is a few that come up every year. And still some from the other planting. Unfortunately it's in the middle of a 1 acre asparagus field. They just get sprayed with the other weeds.

Just wanted to follow up on this one... I picked up my seedlings Thursday afternoon from the State nursery who I ordered from. I worked from daylight to dark on Good Friday, and about the first 8 hours of daylight on Saturday. As of Saturday afternoon, the final planted count was 295 seedlings from 15 various species. I'm already having to run deer off as they sneak in and nibble on black cherry and elderberry buds.

Back