Firewood ProSizer Laser Firewood Measuring Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Measuring firewood accurately, and consistently, is the topic of many threads. Some guys don't care if a piece is off by a few inches; some want their firewood stacks to line up like a planed surface; some just want the wood to fit in their particular stove.

Aside from sticks, chalk, paint, etc., a few high-tech solutions have become available, using lasers. The Firewood ProSizer is one of the more affordable options, at $69, shipped. Because this is a topic of interest to me, I asked for one to demo.

www.firewoodprosizer.com

Some related threads:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-chainsaw-laser-and-bluetooth.348548
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/firewood-measuring-sticks.305553/
Philbert

Design

I really like the idea of the FirewoodProSizer. I like the simplicity of the design. And I like the price, especially compared to the STIHL Laser 2-in-1!

The unit comes with a simple, sturdy, aluminum mounting bracket, with a few spare bolts, a hex key for mounting, and a space strip for mounting on smaller diameter handles (I suppose that tape could also be used). It also comes with a USB charging cable for the laser. The edges of the bracket could be a little smoother, but that is a fussy detail that can be addressed with a little sandpaper.

IMG_1724.jpg IMG_1725.jpg IMG_1729.jpg

The laser is self contained, with an ON/OFF switch and a charging port protected by a small, rubber plug. It projects a small, red line, which can be oriented vertically (|) or horizontally (-).

Philbert

Mounting

Mounting depends on your chainsaw, and whether you cut right-to-left, or left-to-right. I have several chainsaws: some have a front handle on both the right and left sides. Some have a handle on the left side only. Some of these handles are angled, which directed the laser beam up in the air, or down to the ground! Mounting it on the top of the handle sends the beam into the chain brake handle / flag.

IMG_1800.jpg IMG_1801.jpg IMG_1802.jpg

The attached photos illustrate these issues on one saw, although, I tried mounting it on a few. So, while this could work with some of my saws, as it does in the manufacturer's videos, I would prefer a 'universal' design that worked with most saws. Adding some type of pivot, which would let me aim/direct the laser beam better, would address this.

Philbert

Visibility

Another issue was visibility of the red laser dot. Upfront; I am colorblind, which makes this type of dot harder to see (red does not 'jump out' at me). It was visible upon inspection when close to the log, and when cutting in the shade. But at the end of a 16-inch bar, or in bright sunlight, I could not see it. A larger, brighter laser, or perhaps a green laser, might be more visible to me.

This does not mean that other users might not find this device to be a very helpful tool. I appreciated the opportunity to try it, and would look forward to some potential improvements down the road.

Philbert

That's cool. Always intrigued by viable products that people come up with, that would just never have occurred to me.

Would I buy one? Not in a million years, that is a $69 solution to a non problem in my world. But I hope the guy makes a million.

So I finally got a chance to try my prosizer. Not full sun but bright enough day to see my shadow. The dot was easily visible. I set it for 16" and after a couple learning cuts, I was able to keep quite consistent with it . This is larger wood than I normally cut. I found when using all the bar with the saw mashed up against the log, the laser got shoved back in the bracket a bit. No harm and still accurate. So far I'm happy with this gizmo and will report back once I get into some normal size wood IMG_20220411_173948.jpgIMG_20220411_174004.jpgIMG_20220411_174551.jpgIMG_20220411_172506.jpg

Back