Firewood Seller Charged With Felony Theft By Deception

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen pretty much all cords listed here although my first year burning when I had to purchase wood, I had several people try to pawn off less than a cord as such. One guy even threatened to call the sheriff when I said I wouldn't pay for a full cord (he only had about 2/3 cord) before he even unloaded it.

I explained that the sheriff was good to take one look at his advertisement and the truckload and tell the guy to take a hike.

Well guys,
lemme tell you that cheats will be cheats and the rest can be tagged "Excuses".
Here the measure is a Cubic Meter. It comes out as 35.3 cubic feet - about 1/4 of a full cord.
1x1x1 meter. how simpler can it get.
There are no face cubic meters or rick or rolls :D
Nothing to be confused about.

And still... When they believe they will get away with it, the good people of the earth steal from one another like crazy. US, Israel, Zimbabwe, all the same...

Actually, it's the main reason I started to look into firewood independence.

And sure, nothing is new:
You must have accurate and honest weights and measures, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. (Deuteronomy 25:15)
Any news, guys?
:dizzy:

SA

I assume nobody's selling wood for $140 a rick in New Hampshire.

Until I saw the part about the $1010, I was thinking that he sold 7 'face cords' and the weights and measures enforcers were having a fit over nothing. She did get 7 1/2 face cords, or ricks, or whatever you want to call that unit of measure that's illegal in my state and probably his.

Also, a grand jury indictment doesn't mean much, other than the prosecuting authority wants to blame the case on a grand jury if he loses.

We true New Hampshire yankees do not use terms like "face cord"..."Rick"....etc. We use 2 terms to describe legitimate quantities of fire wood. A "Cord" of firewood is a neatly stacked pile measuring 4' high by 4' wide by 8' long consisting of three "runs" of neatly stacked firewood measuring 4' high by 8' long by 16" wide.

I tell people around here if your buying wood and not picking it up yourself, only buy from the guys who sell it by the truckload. And look in the truck before they unload it.

The person who bought it ought to be charged for being an idiot.

Maybe she wasn't even home when the delivery was made. I've had all of my propane deliveries made while I was at work. Once the wood dump was made she knew it would be a challenge getting someone to take it back.

buying wood shouldn't be a "buyer be ware" scenario. we all know what a face cord is and what a full cord is. when people selling wood begin ripping off the public, the state/government steps in and we all know what happens next.

it's unfortunate that in bad economic times, some people see an opportunity to rip off others and the legitimate sellers end up paying the price thru strict regulations.

Connecticut has had "Measurers of Wood" since the 19th Century. Wouldn't surprise me if the office is older then the Sealers of Weights & Measures.

People ripping others off, or just disagreeing on how much is a cord, ain't nothin' new.

In the area I live a rank is used. Reasons are not money to buy a cord / not enough room for a cord. We have others chooses car trunk full a bundle a wheel bar full a Dino bag full when a customer tells you what they want. I try to sell them what they want. I have a lot off trash wood in my bundleing business I load it on my big truck 4 to 6 ton it goes to 5 house one lady does not have a car I dump it in her drive way they figure out how much it is and mail me $35.00 a rank when they can.

Right ! Occaisionally seen firewood sold by the pickup load (illegally), but never even seen 'rick' , 'rank', or even 'face cord' here in NH. It's really well known that the only legally accepted way to sell firewood is by the cord, or fraction of a cord. I had to hang around here to learn what a rick or rank was.

"rick" is a common term here but not for "amount of wood". A 'rick' is any pile one piece wide of the same item containing at least 3 pieces and stacked as long and high as one wishes. Thus a rick of hay bales could containe from three to a thousand bales.

Harry K

I have tried, without success, to clue the people I know, that "rick" isn't a measure of wood, it's THE only measurement I have ever heard in these parts..."rick"
Since discovering A.S. I always say, "rick or 1/3 a cord" to initiate a conversation about proper terms and measurements, most times, I get looked at with suspicion,,,I really do!!
I rarely sell firewood, but when I do, it has to be a "humped" pick up truck load or I'll be thought of as a cheat, measured stacks usually work out to "about" 5x8",,
Crazy Aint It? Most guys selling firewood around here are the beer can pick up truck guys and the firewood is usually seasoned about as long as it takes to cut, split, load and deliver,,,
I'm surprised there aren't more flu fires.

THe seller is obviously a crook, but seriously how do you mistaken 2.5 cords for 7.

There are elderly, ailing people in this world who deserve the protection of our government. It's the least they can do after the people have paid and paid taxes to support these often overpaid, underworked public servants whom more often than not work for bloated bureaucracies, and often it seems it's the most they can do.

But here in NH. No ones sell ricks. Or noses what one is. we sell bye the cord here.

So these people got taken badly good for them for going to court

Latest posts

Back