Firewood stumpage price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never had to pay for firewood that was not delivered to me either cut/split or log length. I really don't think I would pay per tree for firewood grade if i had to harvest, especially if clean up was iinvolved. I could see paying for a permit to cut but that usually breaks down to very small per unit price if one is industrious. I have the good fortune of having about 50 acres on which to harvest firewood and after they were logged 2 years ago and the last 2 freak Halloween storms I have plenty of wood (and work) for the next several years. That being said everybody's situation is different and each must determine the value of thier time and effort vs the gain in wood. Only you know where that elusive "break even point" is for your operation. If you think its a good deal go for it! Just remember to weigh all the factors. :msp_biggrin:

I think it is around 10-20 bucks a cord around here for stuff only suitable for firewood. Basing that one I looked it up and near here around 12, so 10-20 would fall into that range, high-low. I seriously doubt anyone would pay more, because you could find it cheaper or free. You would be hard pressed to make any money paying more.

Firewood, not primo saw logs, that's different.. There's a LOT of good hardwood trees and not so much of a demand as up north for heating wood. Heck, I could pull a thousand cords off the property here, mixed species, all the culls, and do nothing but improve the woodlots. And this is just average property around here, not the best, not the worst. Now selling a thousand cords..that would take some effort.

I can tell you a right today primo price for wood retail locally, try 8 bucks for two (.75 cu ft) bundles of kiln dried oak. Just saw that at the stupor market. Very good looking wood, too. A .375 cubic foot kindling bag, one inch oak splits, was $3.69. Some bundles around here are higher..but that's bundles.

Cord from a bubba with a truck, total wild card on how seasoned it is, 40-60 a "load" which is probably around 1/3rd of a cord or so.

I use the NYS stumpage report linked to in a post further up for a guideline on what to pay the landowner. Right now I am paying $15 per cord for standing hardwood. By offering a fair market value for their property, following a thinning plan, laying out sensible roads, and by doing NO damage to the marketable timber left behind, I get offered nice lots with good access so it can still be profitable to pay for the wood. With that said, I have worked on a golf course clearing the sides of the fairways of leaning trees. Cut em down and load em up; no money changes hands as we both get something of value from the exchange.

I use the NYS stumpage report linked to in a post further up for a guideline on what to pay the landowner. Right now I am paying $15 per cord for standing hardwood. By offering a fair market value for their property, following a thinning plan, laying out sensible roads, and by doing NO damage to the marketable timber left behind, I get offered nice lots with good access so it can still be profitable to pay for the wood. With that said, I have worked on a golf course clearing the sides of the fairways of leaning trees. Cut em down and load em up; no money changes hands as we both get something of value from the exchange.

yup, 15/cd is a real good steady number for standing. tops half of that.
trucking another 15 x 2, depending on distance, maybe little less.

i just perused a bid prospectus for the national forest here, minimum bid $1.29/ ton, average dbh 25" 200m tons minimum. We pay 5.00/mbf for df saw logs to the state forest, firewood stumpage is free some of which we have to take some. Costs, logging 200.00/ and trucking about 50.00/. As logs 8-40' long.

What I meant was firewood grade, no sawlog value, but after your lecture I think you knew that from the start. ,,,,,,NO I DIDN'T!!!

Hey no kidding!

I've never heard of "stumpage" or paying for standing trees, other than the permit fees I've read about on this wonderful site. I certainly did not intend to come off being an azz-hole, nor lecture any one.
I actually thought some one was trying to take advantage of you. Again,,,sorry for coming off as a "rick on a stick".
Heck, I certainly/obviously aint an expert on the subject. Around these parts agricultural fence lines and wood lots have most always been a bounty for us "fire wood" hacks to access free fire wood with occasional truck load left for the land owner. At the most, a "split" with the land owner, something along the lines of cut 3 or 4 and leave one.
I hope this clears the air between you an' me and any others who thought I came off being an azz-hole.

Peace, man. Dohn

No hard feelings, I guess in my area firewood has a lot more value than most. It's gets pretty cold and we have so many hardwoods. If I misunderstood your original post than I apologize

i just perused a bid prospectus for the national forest here, minimum bid $1.29/ ton, average dbh 25" 200m tons minimum. We pay 5.00/mbf for df saw logs to the state forest, firewood stumpage is free some of which we have to take some. Costs, logging 200.00/ and trucking about 50.00/. As logs 8-40' long.

mbf, this is million board feet?? Or thousand? Thousand seems more reasonable.

Just so you know, you'll get a lecture every now and again from the experts, Just to prove their "SUPERIORITY",,,,,,

Mac88,,was not my intentions,,

Sorry, but it certainly sounded that way:

"Standing fire wood"?" if your talking trees, standing trees, that AINT fire wood!!

Standing trees can indeed be firewood; not saw log quality, damaged, lightning-struck, and any number of other defects.

Fire wood is the result of hard manual labor, processed from trees. Whether standing or on the ground.

I think the OP knew that already.

I've never paid anything for it and won't, unless it's to leave the land owner a truckload every now and again as a "thanks".

I haven't either, but I wouldn't look down my nose at anyone who does.

Maybe I'm just a little touchy, but there are far too many folks who find it necessary to say "You're wrong" to someone's comments, just because they happen to disagree. The last time I checked it was still legal to have an opinion, whether it's right or wrong in someone else's eyes.

No hard feelings. Rant over.

KJP, that is a nice little set up on your tractor and you are cutting lots of nice wood. Are you working right in Bolton? I lived in Waterbury Center for a while. I still do some tree work there and in Williston. Are you hauling logs home on your trailer? How much are you cutting?

KJP, that is a nice little set up on your tractor and you are cutting lots of nice wood. Are you working right in Bolton? I lived in Waterbury Center for a while. I still do some tree work there and in Williston. Are you hauling logs home on your trailer? How much are you cutting?

Thanks wilson tree. The set up works pretty well for me. The wood lot im at right now is in Groton, about an hour and a half trip. All the wood is free so its hard to beat but its just a long drive.
I am hauling the wood home on my trailer. I load two cords of wood on it at a time wich is way to much for that poor old thing. Its a shame because I have a truck that can pull way more i just dont have the money for a bigger trailer right now.
I have cut around ten cords so far on the that particular wood lot. I cant go nearly as fast as a skidder but the low impact of the tractor seems very appealing to alot of people. I do it all on the weekends and it was for heating my home but i really want to start selling some wood and thought i would start with firewood and maybe get into some higher grade stuff in the future. I started this post because I am meeting a landowner tomorrow and he is half the distance as my current wood lot so i figured paying 20 or 30 a cord would be as good as my free wood after fuel savings.

Being closer to home really is worth the price. You will cut more wood and make more money. I have a small Kubota for really low impact jobs and it is a lot of fun tooling thru the woods on it. I try to treat the landowner and his property with the greatest respect. I can always get a good recommendation and sometimes landowners introduce me to the neighbors so I get another job. I think the reputation you build up is one of the most important assests you can have. Good luck tomorrow.

kjp,

IMO tell the owner you are happy to remove the waste wood to recoup your costs before you offer anything.
Sometimes telling people the wood has value can haunt you bad before the job even starts.

If he says he just wants it cleared then you can offer money $20c to him at that point if you like or a case of JD at the end of the job is another way to go as a total surprise.
But if he says he wants some crazy amount you can say it's only worth $20c and only because you save on fuel costs compared to your other lot.

No need to cheat the man and his wood lot but no reason to shoot yourself in the foot before you start either.
You would be shocked at what some people ask when they get an idea wood = money.

When in real fact the wood has little or no value but your effort and fuel to make it firewood do.

Being closer to home really is worth the price. You will cut more wood and make more money. I have a small Kubota for really low impact jobs and it is a lot of fun tooling thru the woods on it. I try to treat the landowner and his property with the greatest respect. I can always get a good recommendation and sometimes landowners introduce me to the neighbors so I get another job. I think the reputation you build up is one of the most important assests you can have. Good luck tomorrow.

Yeah i love my tractor in the woods. Alone I can haul in three or so cords a day depending on the distance i am skidding it.(I know thats a joke to the pros) The best part is i only have to put five gallons of diesel in it every ten or fifteen hours. On a good weekend with the current prices of firewood i could haul home 500 bucks(I know that is split and seasoned and sold next year) Not a bad way to spend a weekend. With my small equipment my overhead is really low.

Also, I like the saw box you have on the ROPS. I am going to make something like that. How did you connect it to the ROPS uprights?

kjp,

IMO tell the owner you are happy to remove the waste wood to recoup your costs before you offer anything.
Sometimes telling people the wood has value can haunt you bad before the job even starts.

If he says he just wants it cleared then you can offer money $20c to him at that point if you like or a case of JD at the end of the job is another way to go as a total surprise.
But if he says he wants some crazy amount you can say it's only worth $20c and only because you save on fuel costs compared to your other lot.

No need to cheat the man and his wood lot but no reason to shoot yourself in the foot before you start either.
You would be shocked at what some people ask when they get an idea wood = money.

When in real fact the wood has little or no value but your effort and fuel to make it firewood do.

Thank you, very good advice

Also, I like the saw box you have on the ROPS. I am going to make something like that. How did you connect it to the ROPS uprights?

I drilled two hole through the back of the box on each side of the ROPS then i fit it to the height i liked and marked the four holes. I drilled and taped the ROPS for 3/8-16 bolts then built the rest of the box. When the box was finished i stuck the four bolts through the back, tighened it up and all done. It turned out very rugged. I prefitted everything i was going to hold in it before i assembled it so i knew all my stuff would fit. I put my fuel can,bar oil,axe,extra pins for the tractor ect.

How did your meeting with the landowner go? Did you end up making a deal to work the new woodlot?

It went ok. He was looking for a little more production than I am capable of. He may have a guy with a skidder do the hillside, and have me come back and take some cords closer to the house and road for little less impact. I may still have 10 to 20 cords to buy.thanks for asking

Latest posts

Back