Firewood too long...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then you need a standard price thats a lot more work.

Yea, maybe we should do something on the same lines as opec and really jack the price up in the winter.I can see it now old ladies selling their knik-knacks an what-nots just to get a wheelbarrow load of wood.We'd have to criminalize picking up limbs and other such found wood.All wood for the use of heating must come from the firewood cartel or else!:msp_scared:

To the OP

For goodness sake just call the guy and see if he'll swing by with his saw and take 20 minutes to shorten the 30% that's too long!

You think you got it bad? Look what I got to deal with.

MVC-018S_7.JPG

MVC-019S_6.JPG

All of it is at least 22 inches long and up to 2 ft in diameter. Dead for 4 years. Next time I see that hack I'm going to kick his butt. Wait.....I cut my own wood ;)

Seriously though. You guys have opened my eyes as to why I do not want to sell. 16 inches +/- .5 inches?? Really??? To be honest that sounds like a guy with a processors argument. I've cut for 35 years and can't hold that on every piece I cut ALL DAY LONG with a chainsaw. I guess I'll have to admit I am an official firewood hack now. I'd venture to say their are a lot more than me that can't do it. My hat is off, I guess, to those that can without measuring.

Kevin, I don't think anyone can do it that close all day by eye. It is easy enough though to use a piece of lumber chalk and a 16" stick or whatever length you desire. Once the tree is limbed you just start at the trunk end and go from there. For the minute and half it takes, you may really like the results.

Well another Firewood Bashing thread.....oh wellllllllllll. Poor, poor victim.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot---what's this RULE about firewood length ? 16" ? Where is it written ?:potstir:

And, since when does the whine imply the lack of caveat emptor and personal responsibility ? :sucks:

Let's get to the real "Rule" :

BUSINESS IS BUSINESS. FRIENDS AND FAMILY ARE FRIENDS AND FAMILY. SEPARATE.:rock:

Anecdote. I couldn't harvest our firewood last year. A trailer of log lengths ( 24' ) was ordered from someone I 'knew' who logs, promising me mixed hardwoods--oaks, hard maple, 'some' soft maple, white ash. The load was all soft/red maple. He took 20% off the bill without any anger, ill will, rancor since the load came from his sub contractor.

Lecture over, I am dismissed.

P.S. Measuring firewood--take a thick magic marker and tape measure. From the tip of the bar measure 12", 16", 18", what ever, then draw a solid line on the saw or bar on all sides. Then use that line to accurately cut on the fallen timber. Simple. Reliable. Fast. Easy. We usually cut from the top down to the trunk.

Last edited:
When I sell wood, I have rules:

(1) Customer (or friend/family) must be present at delivery.
(2) Must look at wood before I dump it
(3) Must pay cash after I dump it

This saves all kinds of hassles. Even if I were selling 22" wood, the customer could accept or reject it.

For customers - do not buy something you haven't looked at from a seller you ave never dealt with!

When I sell wood, I have rules:

(1) Customer (or friend/family) must be present at delivery.
(2) Must look at wood before I dump it
(3) Must pay cash after I dump it

This saves all kinds of hassles. Even if I were selling 22" wood, the customer could accept or reject it.

For customers - do not buy something you haven't looked at from a seller you ave never dealt with!

CM. You do realise ("realize" for U.S.) that your Canadian species is NOT the same as your southern brethren ? :hmm3grin2orange:

The only rule of selling or buying applies to U.S. : never do Business (big 'B' ) with friends or relatives. It is the "Uncle Freddie" Rule.

P.S. That you in the avatar ? Cute.

Last edited:
I just cut year round for my own use and have for many years. Since my owb takes up to 30" 24" works well and the splitter is 26. I git lots of calls from people lookin to buy and i tell em right up front what the price and lenght are but still have people complain the woods to long and cost too much. Its human nature i suppose...
People round here think in terms of ricks and i don't try and change that, i just tell em it sounds like they outta buy from the seller with the better price instead of dealin with my canterous ass. Sometimes when i'm in a really good mood remindin em they called me not the other way round.

CM. You do realise ("realize" for U.S.) that your Canadian species is NOT the same as your southern brethren ? :hmm3grin2orange:

The only rule of selling or buying applies to U.S. : never do Business (big 'B' ) with friends or relatives. It is the "Uncle Freddie" Rule.

P.S. That you in the avatar ? Cute.

I hate dealing with friends/family as well. They always want a discount and don't understand that I have too much time and money invested in the wood to offer discounts. Then they are surprised they didn't get any extra wood.

Yes, this is me in my avatar.

Or use a band saw to shorten the long logs and save the cutoff ends for good kindling. ;)

Bandsaw, chopsaw, radial arm saw, reciprocating saw, build a sawbuck with pallets cut the stuff yourself. Live and learn.

I cut and sell all my firewood at 16", +/- .5". I explained this in another thread but this is my method: I start at the butt, using my saw as my measure, the powerhead on my MS362 is 16" from the back handle to the bumper spikes. I hold my saw parallel to the log and hold the handle right at the end of the log, look down at the front of the saw, take note of where the bumper spikes come to and cut at that spot. Repeat. It is much quicker than walking the entire length of a tree and marking out lengths and then coming back down and cutting.

If I delivered wood, recieved payment and then got a call stating the wood was to long I would say pound sand. I make it very clear what I am delivering and also have the customer okay the load before I drop and so the only call backs I get are for repeat business.

Sidenote: I did make an exception one time, gentleman wanted 24" wood for his man fireplace. We spoke on the phone, I explained I really was geared more towards 16" but he really wanted that 24" wood. When I showed up with the load of 24" splits he said it was to long for his fireplace BUT he would take it anyway if a gave him a discount! We went back and forth in his garage for a few minutes he did finally agree to the price we had spoke of earlier and took possesion of the wood. I was ready to leave him standing there and deal with the 24" stuff somehow but he could see it was premium, buckskin tamarack. It was a sneaky way to try and get a deal. Be careful on those "custom cut" orders.

Not arguing the length, it's the +/- .500 inches that I can't do by eye.

im with ya on that one. ive been cutting for several years for my own use and i can vary 4" or more in length. i just cut by eye sometimes off a limb that on a still standing tree and my wood ranges from 18-22" or even the ocasional 24" length. i have a big stove and can usually put a long piece in from corner to corner till that split is burned up.

im with ya on that one. ive been cutting for several years for my own use and i can vary 4" or more in length. i just cut by eye sometimes off a limb that on a still standing tree and my wood ranges from 18-22" or even the ocasional 24" length. i have a big stove and can usually put a long piece in from corner to corner till that split is burned up.

Our splitters max out at 25 inches and occasionally I'll have to recut. I was thinking guys were implying they do it by eye and I see they measure or mark so that makes sense. I can take 48's but Dad likes them smaller and they are easier to handle and throw in at 24. Cutting the same does make stacking easier and I'm normally there.

87819d1232828727-mvc-030s-jpg

I have found that when dealing with 3 footers I'll mark them as the size plays tricks with your eyes. the same thing with cutting uprights, I guess it's what you get used to. ;)

Our splitters max out at 25 inches and occasionally I'll have to recut. I was thinking guys were implying they do it by eye and I see they measure or mark so that makes sense. I can take 48's but Dad likes them smaller and they are easier to handle and throw in at 24. Cutting the same does make stacking easier and I'm normally there.

I have found that when dealing with 3 footers I'll mark them as the size plays tricks with your eyes. the same thing with cutting uprights, I guess it's what you get used to. ;)

OT :hmm3grin2orange:
Oh man, nice pile of wood. I would love to be able to cut my own, but at this stage of the game, I am reduced to the odd branch in my yard.
Years ago, I did go out cutting a couple winters with my father-in-law (he was an old lumber-jack from the Temaskaming (sp?) area) and even though I was a green-horn, I really enjoyed the experience.

Last edited:
*shrug*

With about 1 in 4 woodstove models out there designed for 16" logs and 1 in 4 for 18" logs, I'd say it's more a woodstove argument.

However "designed" for does not mean it won't take longer pieces...withing reason.

16" =/- .5"? no way without a processor or wasting one whole lotta time marking and cutting acurately without one. When I am selling they get a nominal 16" which will vary at least an inch each way.

Harry K

I don't participate much on here(or any other forum). But I hope the OP called the seller and tried rational discussion..
In my car audio business I can tell you that I can't fix your problem if I don't know you have one.

I also have a wood stove that I burn 16 inch pieces in.It will hold an 18 (supposedly). I can say that I ALWAYS tell a custom cutter how long I need it cut. When a neighbor or family member asks me if I want some free firewood they have cut up,I always cringe because I HATE to recut firewood..

Latest posts

Back