Firewooding philosophy question -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there ever an instance where the sum is never greater than its constituent parts?

Is there ever never...isn't that kinda like a double negative? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that.

I read it something like can I get more for my car if I part it out rather than selling it whole? In some cases I would say sure.

Is there ever never...isn't that kinda like a double negative? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that.
I never ever don't not use double negatives. Too confusing.

Kinda like the old condradiction, "All Cretins lie all the time," said the Cretin.

I read it something like can I get more for my car if I part it out rather than selling it whole? In some cases I would say sure.
Are you the guy that bought the Pinto off from the guy that posted a page or so back?

When I was a kid there was an old guy up the road that made handles.
He died quite a few years back so we cant get his handles anymore.So the tools that Sam put handles in before he died are more important to my father because of the handle not whats on the end of it. I do not agree that one handle is the same as the other, especially if you have been using that handle for some time.

There is an axe head, an axe handle and then an axe. It takes both to get the implement known as an axe.

Are you the guy that bought the Pinto off from the guy that posted a page or so back?

LOL NO! I do feel the same about a Honda CR250R as he did about his Pinto though. I put WAY more into keeping it going than it will ever be worth. My wife tells me I can get a new bike anytime I want I just have to sell that one first. Guess I'll never have another.

attachment.php

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

We either must have some books in common in our libraries or else you're incredibly insightful.

An acquaintence of mine who lives on the other side of the state wrote a book titled, The Same Ax, Twice: Restoration and Renewal in a Throwaway Age. It's a great read for anyone interested in how history figures in our everyday lives. Being from NH, it has a strong New England/back east focus. The whole publication is available as a google book at http://books.google.com/books?id=j90jfCmmB0kC&dq=same+ax+twice&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=DHU7S-jGJo67lAe1mICxCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false

BTW, I see you list your location as Silicone Valley. Always struck me as kind of an oxymoron. When I think silicone, I think mountains...not valleys.

I don't have a library, so I'll take the compliment:)

Also, you forget . . . what do you call the area between two mountains? A valley
:cheers:

Here's my hillbilly dirt farmer perspective:

Parts are replaceable, as long as the machine still functions. An antique tractor collector can say that my old M Farmall is not original, as the engine block has been replaced, but they cannot dispute the fact that it is an M Farmall.

So, using my logic, as long as it is still a functional axe, yes it is still the same axe. It would not be the same axe however, if the original had been tossed and replaced by a new handle/head combination. At that point, it would be replaced and not repaired.

And finally, how does the old timer keep finding replacement heads that are not made in China?

Here's my hillbilly dirt farmer perspective:

Parts are replaceable, as long as the machine still functions. An antique tractor collector can say that my old M Farmall is not original, as the engine block has been replaced, but they cannot dispute the fact that it is an M Farmall.

So, using my logic, as long as it is still a functional axe, yes it is still the same axe. It would not be the same axe however, if the original had been tossed and replaced by a new handle/head combination. At that point, it would be replaced and not repaired.

And finally, how does the old timer keep finding replacement heads that are not made in China?

He makes them :givebeer:

Back