First burn of the season starts right now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craz z

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
September is not usually a time for me to start burning. Rather a great time for gathering wood with the temperate climates. Just got a nice load of some dougies and 6 cord of lodgies i've been working on during the summer. Anyway a canadian cold front is dropping in to Montana and its supposed to drop to freezing level. The house was cold after work around 60 degrees. Fired up the stove for the first time this season. The front is supposed to stay until thursday. I'm testing out the stove after a cleanout last week and the house is toasty. :rock:

Couple short burns of willow to take chill off and chase dampness over the last couple days as the over nights were down to the 40's and only 60 Sunday, short warm up now thru Thur. then back to highs in the mid 60's. Roller coaster weather here somewhat normal at this time of year.

Still have the windows open here...

Today [sup]83°[/sup]/[sub]67°[/sub] Partly Cloudy
Tomorrow [sup]83°[/sup]/[sub]56°[/sub] Partly Cloudy
Friday [sup]68°[/sup]/[sub]45°[/sub] Partly Cloudy
Saturday [sup]70°[/sup]/[sub]49°[/sub] Clear
Sunday [sup]74°[/sup]/[sub]52°[/sub] Clear
Monday [sup]72°[/sup]/[sub]54°[/sub] Partly Cloudy
Tuesday [sup]76°[/sup]/[sub]52°[/sub] Clear
Wednesday [sup]72°[/sup]/[sub]54°[/sub] Clear
Thursday [sup]70°[/sup]/[sub]54°[/sub] Partly Cloudy
Friday [sup]68°[/sup]/[sub]48°[/sub] Partly Cloudy

,,,and I don't see closing them anytime soon either!
It's still too damn warm for workin' in the wood lot and we need rain!!

Last edited:
Still have the windows open here...

Today [sup]83°[/sup]/[sub]67°[/sub] Partly Cloudy
Tomorrow [sup]83°[/sup]/[sub]56°[/sub] Partly Cloudy
Friday [sup]68°[/sup]/[sub]45°[/sub] Partly Cloudy
Saturday [sup]70°[/sup]/[sub]49°[/sub] Clear
Sunday [sup]74°[/sup]/[sub]52°[/sub] Clear
Monday [sup]72°[/sup]/[sub]54°[/sub] Partly Cloudy
Tuesday [sup]76°[/sup]/[sub]52°[/sub] Clear
Wednesday [sup]72°[/sup]/[sub]54°[/sub] Clear
Thursday [sup]70°[/sup]/[sub]54°[/sub] Partly Cloudy
Friday [sup]68°[/sup]/[sub]48°[/sub] Partly Cloudy

,,,and I don't see closing them anytime soon either!
It's still too damn warm for workin' in the wood lot and we need rain!!

and it is raining here right now!! :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm hearing thunder this morning... off in the distance, maybe we'll get some.
It just seems we've got some sort of bad luck in this local area... except for a few sprinkles every-now-and-then, the actual "rain" just goes 'round us. The other day it was raining 10-15 miles from us, in all four friggin' directions, and we never even saw a friggin' drop!! How in-the-hell is that possible??

Yep, started our first fire last night. :eek:

We haven't had a fire this early in the season before. But it was a mite cool out. The SheWolf was wearing her sweater when I got in from work.

First burn

Fired up the iron monster last couple of nights, just to take the chill off.
Gives me a chance to get rid of some pine and the hardwood uglies that result from splitting crotch wood.
Boy, I'd forgotten how good that wood heat felt, warmed me right to the bone.
I must be getting old.

FREDM, Oxford, CT

September is not usually a time for me to start burning. Rather a great time for gathering wood with the temperate climates. Just got a nice load of some dougies and 6 cord of lodgies i've been working on during the summer. Anyway a canadian cold front is dropping in to Montana and its supposed to drop to freezing level. The house was cold after work around 60 degrees. Fired up the stove for the first time this season. The front is supposed to stay until thursday. I'm testing out the stove after a cleanout last week and the house is toasty. :rock:

Yes, same deal in Salmon, ID. I went out this AM, and swept the stovepipes for the house and shop in prep for another burning season. We're only supposed to hit 56º for a high today, and below freezing tomorrow AM and Friday too. Probably will be cranking up the stove a little early this year!

As the clouds clear off the Bitteroot mountains east of town, just now, I can see new SNOW!!

Last edited:
We had our second fire yesterday to get the chill out. Nothing like wood heat. Keeps you warm-unlike the forced air furnace that warms you for 10 minutes, and cools you for 20 minutes.

:msp_mad: You talked about cold then it hit.. Southern Alberta is getting SNOW.. I thought we were making a deal... :msp_mellow:

It was 90* less than a week ago, last night was 31*. Trying not to light a fire till Halloween, don't think the wife will let that happen.

2nd night of burning. gonna be chilly tonight lows in the 20s very unusual for this time of year. Last year I bought the stove in august didn't get it installed until october and didn't get to fire it up until almost november. This is one of those years. as almanac says the northern half of the US is gonna get it.

I remember long ago during the Yellowstone fires either that year or the next was a very very very intense winter. one of the worst in memory. where im at now we haven't had winter in nearly 6 years I think we are overdue. Saw snow in the high country as well today.

I'm preparing early. My last load of the season is often times some of the first for others round here.

btw. we did have a deal and i'll take the cold it gives me a chance to try out the stove and make sure everything is working properly before the actual cold comes in. What part of ab you from?

I'm on my fourth fire of the year, 3 small ones and one medium one because I understood it was supposed to get down into the low to mid 30's here. Well, my mistake. It only made it down to 48 degrees so i had to open the windows! I'm sure going to love my new (to me) stove! :msp_biggrin:

Nah, he soaks it in fuel oil for a few hours before he tosses it in! :laugh:

Key is to get your stove hot in the least amount of time. I use 3 or 4 cubes of match light and and crack the ash pan draw. Once ive got secondary combustion going I get about a 3-4 hr burn at high or a 5-6 hr burn on low air.

Back