First Cold Night of the Season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to my thermometer, we've had lows below the freezing mark 10 times the past two weeks... seven of 'em in the 20's.
Temps are supposed to start fallin' fast sometime Monday, drop well below freezing and stay there... lows around 10° by week's end.
If you can believe the long range forecast, by next weekend it's gonna' be full-fledged winter 'round here... single digit lows and highs that may not even break 20°.

We've had at least a small fire near every day for the past two weeks... looks like it'll be a 27/7 fire startin' in about 48 to 72 hours.
I guess it had to happen sooner or later... I'd 've preferred later, but what can ya' do??

It's doesn't sound like you have a blockage problem since increasing the air inlet (and temperature) helped - the flue was able to flow well enough.

Maybe it wasn't all that cold and the temperature difference was not enough to make a good draft?

Was it windy (it's pretty still here this morning).

It was above average regarding wind today Chris. The smoke was really dark also when I went outside to check the cleanout door. That's why I thought I had some soot buildup and needed burned off?

forecast 19 tonight maybe 30 for high Sun. So looks like it will be April before we see 40 deg+ again. Once the snow hits and sticks temps will dump quick as always. Snow in forecast for Mon or Tue.

Weather people are talking about the first measurable snowfall of the season happening on Monday. Maybe up to 6 inches. I saw one of my neighbors put his snow blower on his garden tractor today. What can you expect for Wisconsin weather:(

the polar air is coming here soon, glad i got my attic insulated but im already burning wood it is 34 outside right now and the wind has a bite to it ugh!

Weather people are talking about the first measurable snowfall of the season happening on Monday. Maybe up to 6 inches. I saw one of my neighbors put his snow blower on his garden tractor today. What can you expect for Wisconsin weather:(
Well, I have a dial calipers, so I could measure really small amounts of snow - would that be enough? I'm really not (mentally) ready for snow yet! I guess that doesn't matter though, as it will snow when it snows.

I'm still trying to decide which stove to run tonight.

I decided 35deg was cold enough for the big stove, so it's cranking away now. Tossed a tulip split in with the rest - instafire! I love that stuff.

I smeared a thin coat of anti-seize on the control rod wear surfaces and it moves nice and smooth now.

Here in Centex i started our fireplace Wednesday. Been a long time since i had a fire going. Sure was nice!!
f72b87c830da2c44af28ddc84072cb26.jpg

Well, we just dipped below 30deg early this morning, heading up to 50 and the sun is bright. I think I will load the little stove once and do some work on that damper linkage on the big stove.

It won't be long until we're in the mode where the fire rarely goes out, and it's just a matter of keeping the ashes down and loading in more.

We're in the Eastern corner of Berks Co - it's only flurried a bit here so far. I'm in no hurry for more, mind you!

I was just a hair colder than you. Temp on the outdoor digital thermometer said 27 when I went to sleep this morning. Just looked at the weather channel and it's *supposed* to be warmer starting monday. We'll see.....

I decided 35deg was cold enough for the big stove, so it's cranking away now. Tossed a tulip split in with the rest - instafire! I love that stuff.

I smeared a thin coat of anti-seize on the control rod wear surfaces and it moves nice and smooth now.

How hot does that part get? The reason I'm asking is because there might be a chance the heat would burn that off? Maybe some high-temp grease instead?

How hot does that part get? The reason I'm asking is because there might be a chance the heat would burn that off? Maybe some high-temp grease instead?
It doesn't really get that hot. The rod runs in brackets welded to the bottom of the stove, under the fire brick. The door shutter slides up against the bottom steel plate, but again it is under the fire brick. The whole assembly is above the ash pan, which is semi-enclosed and right at the air intake, so even if it smoked a little it would likely be pulled right into the stove.

I didn't smell anything from it at all.

They have red high temp never seize that comes in a spray can. Would be perfect for your application I would think.

Back