First family camping trip - gear suggestions needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coleman also makes a dual fuel stove. The unleaded also burns much cleaner than the kerosene.

Walmart Coleman brand fuel is $14 a gallon here. Kerosene at the farm store is $17 for 2.5 gallons. Guess where I get it. I use the kerosene for the old wick style huricane lanterns and unleaded for the coleman stuff.

For what it's worth, I burn ordinary unleaded gas from the gas station in my older non-dual fuel lantern for light in my wood shed for light while I'm splittin' kindling every night in the winter. I've had no problems with doing so either.

Now my family has always done a pretty cobby form of camping compared to most folks. No campgrounds or any thing like that is how I grew up camping. So much later in life my ex gal friend had twin boys. They wanted scary stories from me. Well we never did anything such as that in camp as we we're all just to comfortable out of doors to be scared. So I come up with a story quick. Since we were in the big tree country of nor. cal. The Legend of Bigfoot worked well. Might not have the same impact back East, But I've since used ufo's and aliens to good effect. Another one that works well about 10:00 pm is the ols tale about an axe murderer that struck right in this campground years ago..... and got away. He's still out there as far as anyone knows......:msp_thumbup:

I went from a one burner Svea white gas stove to propane (green bottles) stove and lanterns. The power goes out in my area a couple of times a year and propane is much easier/cleaner. Spilled whits gas isn't good for much except when it hits your clothes and keeps the bugs away. A bag of charcoal will outlast store bought fire wood bundles.

Stoves that run on white gas can provide good entertainment. Simply spill fuel on the picnic table top and it might flame on when you light the stove. The flames are impressive, but go out quickly, and don't do any damage to the table.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Yep and don't overfill the tank leave room for air when you pump it up or you shoot raw fuel out and ruin your new stove. Don't ask me how I know! Since then have moved up to a toyhauler and wouldn't turn back.

Latest posts

Back