First Few Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddy11ac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, daily reader here who enjoys all your posts and info. I posted a few months back when I was getting started. I had some problems with my 395 XP, and needed to buy a new cylinder head kit and rebuilt her. Runnin great now, and got some photos of two white oak logs I cut up. Have one stack of 8/4 about 2 feet wide by 8 feet. Also have about 10 boards 5/4, 1 foot by 8 feet too in a small beginning stack.

The last log waiting after this 3rd oak is a nice looking maple. Can't wait to get into that this week. Hoping for decent weather.

Thanks again to all of you for the great advice and help all the time.
Anthony

Very nice, that stack of 5/4 eight footers looks nice. Depending on conditions there where you're drying them (Im assuming you're drying them there in that pic and it looks like it's inside?) they should be ready for your woodshop in about 6-8 months. If that stack IS going to be dried inside, and it's relatively warm, be careful they don't dry too fast or you will get honeycomb where the outside dries (too much) faster than the center of the board and internal stress tears the fibers apart. The thicker slabs will take a lot longer for the whole slab to get down to around 20% where you can start to think about using them.

Nice work daddy11ac!

Small tip. For such a thin set of boards I suggest placing a sticker at the very ends of the boards and make sure the stickers line up vertically/evenly before applying tension to the stack.

Cheers

Very nice, that stack of 5/4 eight footers looks nice. Depending on conditions there where you're drying them (Im assuming you're drying them there in that pic and it looks like it's inside?) they should be ready for your woodshop in about 6-8 months. If that stack IS going to be dried inside, and it's relatively warm, be careful they don't dry too fast or you will get honeycomb where the outside dries (too much) faster than the center of the board and internal stress tears the fibers apart. The thicker slabs will take a lot longer for the whole slab to get down to around 20% where you can start to think about using them.

Thanks Woodshop. So you know, I may have read every post you and about 10 others have written in the last 4 months, lol, and then some topics i searched out. So thank you for this info, and all the other stuff you have contributed. I know a lot more now than I did 4 months ago, and feel prepared cuz of you all.

Yeah, I have them inside for now, and the garage is not heated. In fact, it gets very little sun with no windows and is typically colder than the outside air sometimes. I just received a big box cart for free from a friend that was trying to get rid of it. Got it Sunday morning. I have to cut open the end of it, and then I will stack a lot of wood inside. It is open on the other end as well for airflow. Make a makeshift tarp covering for runoff and some paint, and it should last me a long time. Saved me a lot of time if I decided I was going to build that box. think there is a shot of it. its 8'x4' and on wheels (so cool).

When that maple gets gutted, I'll slap some photos up. Have HIGH hopes for that one.

Last edited:
Thanks Woodshop. So you know, I may have read every post you and about 10 others have written in the last 4 months, lol, and then some topics i searched out. So thank you for this info, and all the other stuff you have contributed. I know a lot more now than I did 4 months ago, and feel prepared cuz of you all...
Lot of us on here enjoy sharing what we learn from our trials and tribulations. Then, like yourself, sometimes we get to apply it. Example, after reading posts from Mikeinparadise and a few others on here that have used the Log Wizard, I finally bit the bullet and bought one last week. Then of course I had an excuse to buy a dedicated saw for it, so today brought home a Husky 350 to mate to it. Wanted a saw light enough and in the $300 range, but yet not COMPLETELY homeowner grade. For as little as I will run it, I think it will do. When I get around to putting the thing together I'll take some pics and add my post to the others experiences. Milling wood is just pure fun... no way around that.

What did you think of your 395 cutting?? Looks like fun and nice looking wood.

i think it is a beast. In one my first posts I mentioned I was new to saws, and had little experience with them. During this rebuild process, I have a friend who is an absolute whiz with them and used to repair them for a living...he taught me a lot. So, I can say that the compression is right around 120. I have the bailey's ripping chain on it. The oak does put a hurtin on it, but I hit it with the file every 4th or 5th pass through 8ft 20" cuts and it seems to keep right on moving with no worries. I can see why people like this saw a lot. Other then wishing I could mod it to keep the exhaust out of my face, it's great. It seems it was built to do this type of work, even if it wasn't. I'm running it at 40:1 with 93 octane. Other than my idle screw loosening on its own after a bit, its great. Fine through oak, and am anxious to try other woods to do a comparison.

did you have any particular questions?

Great pictures!!! What are your plans for all of that good lookin' wood? BTW, I love my 395 too, it is one awesome milling machine.:cheers:

Great pictures!!! What are your plans for all of that good lookin' wood? BTW, I love my 395 too, it is one awesome milling machine.:cheers:

Not sure, but I got enough slabs to keep me busy for awhile when they dry. Probably a lot of tabletops bartops, that sort of thing. I have done a few bartops and tables, and I like it.

The 5/4 will be for whatever project grabs me from whatever of the 15 magazines I pick up first. if anyone has any suggestions for white oak, let me know.

Thanks
AC

talk about jumping in both feet...just so you know there is no viable cure.

The head shrinkers once cured a guy from wanting to saw...but couldn't cure him of needing to saw...last I heard of him he was in a little rubber room mumbling something about medulary rays...poor guy. :givebeer:

Welcome!

Thanks for the input, I don't have any specific questions I just bought one (395xp) from Baileys last month but I don't have a mill attachment yet so i'm kinda a poser right now. I was just hoping you say something like you did I can't wait to mill!! You mentioned a 40:1 ratio did your friend that helped you repair your saw suggest that? I had posted awhile back about break in period and settings for milling and mixing ratio came up, I know opinions vary but I'm all ears when it comes to people with knowledge and experience. Thanks again nice to hear it rips through white oak I don't think I will stumble onto anything harder than that so good to hear it worked out for ya. irishcountry

Thanks for the input, I don't have any specific questions I just bought one (395xp) from Baileys last month but I don't have a mill attachment yet so i'm kinda a poser right now. I was just hoping you say something like you did I can't wait to mill!! You mentioned a 40:1 ratio did your friend that helped you repair your saw suggest that? I had posted awhile back about break in period and settings for milling and mixing ratio came up, I know opinions vary but I'm all ears when it comes to people with knowledge and experience. Thanks again nice to hear it rips through white oak I don't think I will stumble onto anything harder than that so good to hear it worked out for ya. irishcountry

yes, I am far from the person who can comment because of lack of experience, but i did read every thread on that topic I could find. My friend did idle it for 2-10 minute periods, maybe for an hour total, and some light cutting. But when he gave it back to me, he said "use it like your gonna use it". I did and so far so good (knock on wood).

He said that he'd rather run it a little rich than a little lean, so I chose 40 to 1 as a starting point and feel fine with that. Do I think it matters a great deal the diff between 40/50 to 1.....I can't say. I haven't tried 50 and probably won't mess with it if I feel the saw is running well. thats about all I can add to that subject.

I do basically, as im sure a lot of guys do, run it full throttle for 1 minute, maybe two at most, then let her idle for 30 seconds in the log, then continue. Not sure if this matters a whole bunch. Maybe someone can respond to that. The stops are usually around moving the wedges, resting the arms anyhow, so I think its a good practice. obviously want to be alert and not fatigued when running that thing at full throttle.

AC

Nice looking pics! You've been keeping busy!

...wishing I could mod it to keep the exhaust out of my face...

There was just a posting within the last week of someone who modded their exhaust to point away from their face. Not sure where it was, but I'm sure somebody on here knows.

Latest posts

Back