FMC Wayne chipping.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Had an FMC Wayne I've used for years. Looks like h---, but chips like a beast. When I pull up people get this sort of look like, well, that's an old rustbucket till they see it run and the looks turn to respect and a little awe when it sucks 25' trees in and spits them out in seconds.

Mine's a 9-inch and I can chip 4" all day, 6" pretty easily. I've chipped a lot of 8", but need to cut it into maybe 2-3' chunks or it bogs down and kills the engine since there's no auto-feed. I recently tried reshaping the knife edges by putting a slight bevel on the last sixteenth of an inch or so and could feed long 8" logs as it would eat a foot or two, then stop and I could tap the log and it'd eat another couple feet. This stopped it from bogging down, but it's also not optimum for chipping as the knife angles aren't ideal.

I had the knives reground to the recommended 36 degrees today and will rotate the bed knife to a fresh edge, set the clearance and see how it behaves as I've only ever hand ground it myself.

Anyone have any experience putting big wood through these and is it the same or different from what I've described above?

Welcome to AS

May want to repost this in the Large Equipment forum and/or the Commercial Tree & Climbing Forum

You'll get more views
Thanks for the tip. Finally found the large equipment for him and tried to post it there and it said I had to keep it under 10,000 characters and wouldn't post.

Took a bunch of it out and it still wouldn't post, same message.

Also, the ads that cover my phone screen when I'm trying to do this make it almost unworkable to do.

Don't have time to figure all this out.

Thanks for the tip. Finally found the large equipment for him and tried to post it there and it said I had to keep it under 10,000 characters and wouldn't post.

Took a bunch of it out and it still wouldn't post, same message.

Also, the ads that cover my phone screen when I'm trying to do this make it almost unworkable to do.

Don't have time to figure all this out.
Is there a tutorial for this site?

I just hit "quote" and it did something, but I don't know what.

Maybe it's better I just try and delete all my stuff and call it good.
I also can't figure out how to edit my posts. "For him" was supposed to be "forum".

Latest posts

Back