First fire of the season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulate34

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Sept 8th first fire of the season for me. Had -2c/30F the last few mornings

Last year I didn't start burning until the 24th of sept.

When do you guys Usialy lite your stoves. And location

I am in central BC canada.

Must apologize.

Just seen a few other threads on the same matter.

Just excited for winter

No apologies necessary, the season is upon us! I'm in the mid-west (Kansas). We don't usually have the sustained cold that you do, but the wind howls like a banshee making the wind-chill horrible and leaky houses miserable. I normally don't light mine until I can satisfy three criteria: 1: I walk outside and have the realization of "It's Cold!", 2: it's been cold long enough to bring the house temp down and cause the propane heater to turn on and 3: I don't get the look of death from the boss, who understands that she married a Pyro... LOL She likes it too, but her O.C.D. can't handle burning the stove AND having the window open for temperature regulation...:laugh:

Regulate, there's no shame in looking forward to lighting up your stove, (or fireplace, or OWB, or furnace). You're preaching to the choir here, so to speak. I've got about a month left though before the wifey gets on my case lol.

Typically the end of October for me. And that may only be one fire each night for a few weeks to even a month.

Last year was 9/14 for me. Rainy damp and chilly.
Expected highs in the low 60's for the next few days so we'll see. Guess I better clean the chimney. :mad:

Here in southwest Oklahoma I usually don't start burning until mid-November. But we had a cold front blow through yesterday with some cold north winds and very fall like temps forecasted for this weekend. I may light a fire just to take the chill off for the baby and the toddler.

I refuse to light one till at least october. usually burning pretty steady by the start of november. NB canada

Northeast Iowa here... specifically, 30 miles south of the Minnesota border, about 60 west of Wisconsin. We normally don't even close the windows until the last week of September or first of October, but we closed all but one last night (and they're still closed). Predictions are for 30° by Saturday morning, which will kill what's left of the garden (the earliest I can remember). We usually light the first fire during the last week of October... last year it was mid-October... and unless the weather straightens out in the next week or so, I'm not so sure we won't fire-up before October this year.

I always try to hold off as long as possible... 'cause once ya' fire-up it pretty much means you're gonna' be burning every other night or so (the body and mind just likes that wood heat). I don't "look forward" to firing-up, it's just more work to me; load the box, clean out the ashes... and the worst part, cutting more wood to replace what's burned. I burn wood-for-heat simply because I have easy accesses to the wood (basically my back yard) and it saves me money. If I had to scrounge or drive for firewood... I likely wouldn't do it. Between helpin' granddad and dad as a kid, and burnin' since then, I've been burnin' wood-for-heat ( in some form or another) gettin' close to 50 years now... the novelty is gone.

It's been blowing and drizzling all day with the temps barely breaking 55°F today. Supposed to drop 15 or more degrees tonight with not much warming up happening for the next 7 days. I fired my insert up about an hour ago. I can choke it down pretty well, so I don't have to have a window open and the fire going. This is the earliest that I've started a fire since I've been in the house (2003).

Northeast Iowa here... specifically, 30 miles south of the Minnesota border, about 60 west of Wisconsin. We normally don't even close the windows until the last week of September or first of October, but we closed all but one last night (and they're still closed). Predictions are for 30° by Saturday morning, which will kill what's left of the garden (the earliest I can remember). We usually light the first fire during the last week of October... last year it was mid-October... and unless the weather straightens out in the next week or so, I'm not so sure we won't fire-up before October this year.

I always try to hold off as long as possible... 'cause once ya' fire-up it pretty much means you're gonna' be burning every other night or so (the body and mind just likes that wood heat). I don't "look forward" to firing-up, it's just more work to me; load the box, clean out the ashes... and the worst part, cutting more wood to replace what's burned. I burn wood-for-heat simply because I have easy accesses to the wood (basically my back yard) and it saves me money. If I had to scrounge or drive for firewood... I likely wouldn't do it. Between helpin' granddad and dad as a kid, and burnin' since then, I've been burnin' wood-for-heat ( in some form or another) gettin' close to 50 years now... the novelty is gone.

I still enjoy all of it. It's my sport, don't play golf or watch the big game on TV, don't hunt anymore, etc. Going out wooding, although it can be physically demanding most of the time, gives me sport plus it is practical.

I also have a mindset that anything I do to get me independent of the "man" and his scam economy is a good thing. I like going directly to what I need and eliminating as much of the "money" middleman as possible. Wood heat, garden, grow my own meat, etc, that sort of thing.

I know all of that isn't technically "pure", it still costs money to do all that, but I think you know what I am saying.

Eventually I would like to have enough solar PV to about eliminate a grid connection.

Ha, I should move out to the middle of east elbownia someplace and be a hermit curmudgeon....hehehehe

What I have now is an almost reasonable compromise to that I guess.

Been burning for 3 days now, temp got down to 22° so had no reason to not burn some during the night. Wife says it was to cold in the house, 68° isn't cold to me.

I had to do it.... I was cold and the wife gave the green light while laying under the covers in sweat pants and sweat shirt.
House was 63 degrees last night (Saturday). I lit the propane wall heater last night about 1am. Got up this morning (saturday) and did a quick check of the fuel oil furnace and lit that off for a bit. Went outside to the barn to check on the chickens and it was cold (about 45), windy and raining. Came back in the house, passing my fully stocked wood racks of dry ash, and noticed I was pretty darn chilly. I said to myself, that's it - I want to be warm.
Lit the stove about an hour ago and that warm glowing feeling is slowly making its way through the house. My niece said "boy I love the smell of that fire". There is nothing like the experience of a real wood fire in the home. It makes all the hard work worth it. And the furnace and propane heater are now shut off - stay away fuel man!
Happy burnings to all! The season is upon us

My niece said "boy I love the smell of that fire".

Friday evening, after I lit the furnace, I went out to the shop to pull the trans-axle out'a the old grass cuttin' machine (input pinion needed re-shimming)...
L-O-L... my six-year-old came out to "help" and said, "Dad‼ It smells like winter out here‼"
It was all I could do to keep from laughin'... and just answered back, "Yeah, it sure does."

It's been unseasonable cool this past week, and I've needed morning fires. Would again this morning but it's start of Fall Bear season this morning. Heading out soon. :)

Well, any sign, get one?

Poachers get em too quick around here if they come down outta the mountains. Methinks the asian gall bladder and assorted parts trade out of atlanta accounts for most of the bear poaching.

Back