First post, helped a friend this past weekend...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin_j001

Reaction score
Hello all, first post here. Got lots of info from y'all before upgrading from a Stihl MS181 to a MS261 recently. I've got a partially wooded lot with a good many tall pines, and just wanted something with a bit more power that I know could handle an emergency if needed, so went with the 261. Probably more saw than I really need, but in this case I don't think overkill can be a bad thing. Plus, it allowed me to put the MS181 in a friends hands who lives close by...nice to have friends around with good saws too.

And last weekend, got to find out just how nice that was... Said friend had a large pine come down and get hung up in his yard. He paid someone to put it on the ground, but we took care of the rest over a Saturday morning. Something very cool about the sound of two saws running to clean up the mess. Both saws worked great (the MS181 may need a carb cleaning, as it sat for a while), but the power difference between the two saws was very noticeable. I am quite pleased with my choice to go with the MS261. Considering the muffler mod and removing the limiters/retuning the carb for future use...or just sending the saw to blsnelling for some work. ;)

Here's a couple pics I snapped...

Before...
image1_zps54ce9e45.jpeg

The tools (brought the KM90/blower to clean up, but ran out of time)....
image2_zps9cb26152.jpeg

Towards the end...we cut the tree into manageable sized pieces and moved them to the brush pile/pit in the yard. Kept much of the pine out as it was full of resin...as we both camp a good bit, we'll have plenty of fatwood for the foreseeable future. :)
image3_zps1b1bba82.jpeg

Back