Stihl 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everett Phillipston

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found one at the local pawn shop. Looks super clean and low hours. Under the cover is immaculate. Worried about the smaller main bearing on early models, if someone has some info on serial number runs for identification so I can know what I’m looking at? First four numbers on the sn are 1169. Fella at the store said he already replaced the hard plastic line from the the oil pump to bar plate. It’s sporting a 25” stihl roller bar.

I need a strong saw to power thru 12-20” pine in winter, and occasional cottonwood out here in Colorado. I know this saw is a bit dated, but I’ve heard nothing but good about them. Last big saw I ran was a 390xp. Let me know what to expect.

Thanks

Is the pine frozen? Is that why an 064 is needed for 20" pine?
Not necessarily, I just don’t want to waste any time. I got a budget for one saw that’ll do it all. The 064 seems like a good option. I think I can buy the saw for 400.

Not necessarily, I just don’t want to waste any time. I got a budget for one saw that’ll do it all. The 064 seems like a good option. I think I can buy the saw for 400.

Update: I had the guy pull the muffler and there was some ugly vertical scoring on the piston. Heartbroken.

Did you already buy it, or the pawnshop guy? If it's the pawnshop guy, no need to be heartbroken, that's a bullet dodged.

Or offer him $100 and do your own rebuild. The guys here on the forum will walk you through it.

Latest posts

Back