First Stihl (015L). First Post. First Round of Issues. [PICS]

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCStihl

Reaction score
I found the classic 015L in my grandparents garage and decided to revive it, my first chainsaw rebuild. Initially, it was caked with an oil/wood shaving mixture. After a few hours of partial disassembly and cleaning it finally reached the startup stage.

I purchased a Champion spark plug, Stihl Ultra oil and Stihl bar/chain oil. All went well after initial startup coughs/white smoke despite the carb needing adjustment. After letting it idle for a few minutes, I switched it off and let it set. It appeared to leak oil from the hex bolt above the chain tensioner and tightening didn't seem to reduce the oil spray when running. It also leaked the gas mix from the bottom plate and lower front plate gasket. All problem areas are outlined in yellow.

My primary question... what rear part is leaking the gas mix?
Second... is there a gasket or seal for the hex bolt?

Yes, I did use the search function and read many articles concerning these issues but there wasn't a post that seemed to directly answer my problems.

Thank you for any and all input or advice.

Nate A.

I found the classic 015L in my grandparents garage and decided to revive it, my first chainsaw rebuild. Initially, it was caked with an oil/wood shaving mixture. After a few hours of partial disassembly and cleaning it finally reached the startup stage.

I purchased a Champion spark plug, Stihl Ultra oil and Stihl bar/chain oil. All went well after initial startup coughs/white smoke despite the carb needing adjustment. After letting it idle for a few minutes, I switched it off and let it set. It appeared to leak oil from the hex bolt above the chain tensioner and tightening didn't seem to reduce the oil spray when running. It also leaked the gas mix from the bottom plate and lower front plate gasket. All problem areas are outlined in yellow.

My primary question... what rear part is leaking the gas mix?
Second... is there a gasket or seal for the hex bolt?

Yes, I did use the search function and read many articles concerning these issues but there wasn't a post that seemed to directly answer my problems.

Thank you for any and all input or advice.

Nate A.

242340d1340148260-dsc_0002-jpg

242342d1340148747-dsc_0013-jpg

242343d1340148807-dsc_0014-jpg

242344d1340148844-dsc_0016-jpg

Back