First stump grinder rayco please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

565isxcummins

Reaction score
Hi guys its my first post on the forum, im thinking of buying a stump grinder. I would like to buy it for a part time gig on the weekends and evenings. Its a 2003 rayco rg50, it has the 66 hp motor, it has 1200 hours and its a one owner machine that was very well kept. The owner told me to him it was worth 12000-15000 dollars. I already have trucks and trailers and a full farm shop to service it and repair it. I called the rayco dealer in Wooster ohio about 20 miles from us and told them about it they said its a great deal and they will buy it if I don't.Ive looked online and cant find many to compare prices to. The owner said he has a spare wheel cause he tried different teeth and has a a lot of spare teeth and hoses and all the needs for a break down, he said it all went with the machine. I can get it any day and I already have probably $1000 of work lined up for a Saturday or sunday. What do u guys think is it a good deal, is it a good side business?. I don't think work will be to hard to get, alot of old tree friends do side work and I know a few landscaping companys that rent one now and than and just word of mouth so far is looking good.

thanks for any help or comments

Sounds like a great deal if the machine can go to work next day. Just be sure to have proper insurance and call before you dig.

As far as a "Side business" I can tell you that its a regional thing, pricing is all over the place and so is demand. Some areas look at stumps like a piece of yard art and others pay good money to make them go away.

It all depends on your area and how much time you put into marketing it.

Hi guys its my first post on the forum, im thinking of buying a stump grinder. I would like to buy it for a part time gig on the weekends and evenings. Its a 2003 rayco rg50, it has the 66 hp motor, it has 1200 hours and its a one owner machine that was very well kept. The owner told me to him it was worth 12000-15000 dollars. I already have trucks and trailers and a full farm shop to service it and repair it. I called the rayco dealer in Wooster ohio about 20 miles from us and told them about it they said its a great deal and they will buy it if I don't.Ive looked online and cant find many to compare prices to. The owner said he has a spare wheel cause he tried different teeth and has a a lot of spare teeth and hoses and all the needs for a break down, he said it all went with the machine. I can get it any day and I already have probably $1000 of work lined up for a Saturday or sunday. What do u guys think is it a good deal, is it a good side business?. I don't think work will be to hard to get, alot of old tree friends do side work and I know a few landscaping companys that rent one now and than and just word of mouth so far is looking good.

thanks for any help or comments

Sounds like great deal on that machine, particularly with two wheels and spare teeth and parts is it 2wd or 4x4?. You will probably have to work to keep it busy that's usually the way it is or everyone would do it. You've got some work lined up now but when it's done, how fast will more jobs come in. That's one thing to think about. If you don't buy it, you might consider posting it here to give someone the opportunity to get it rather than going to rayco to be re-sold.

Sounds like great deal on that machine, particularly with two wheels and spare teeth and parts is it 2wd or 4x4?. You will probably have to work to keep it busy that's usually the way it is or everyone would do it. You've got some work lined up now but when it's done, how fast will more jobs come in. That's one thing to think about. If you don't buy it, you might consider posting it here to give someone the opportunity to get it rather than going to rayco to be re-sold.

I agree with what MOE said, good deal, if u feel comfortable with the availability of business go for it, good luck...

Bob....:cheers:

I did get the machine. it is 4x4 and it has a push blade I forget to tell u guys last time. Im hoping to work it this long weekend I did one $150 stump down the road in 25 mins or so. I was very pleased at the job it did and time. I wish I had a few a week like that. Ill let u know how it goes im looking around at insurance policys now and I want to give it a full service and start some record keeping on it. Thanks for the insite guys. Ill post some pics of it when I can.

I have not posted for quite awhile...too busy working.
Good luck with the Rayco and be sure to have liability insurance in force. If there's a chance that it might be stolen get a shielded bike lock cable plus a long shank Master padlock (www.mcmaster.com) to lock the trailer tongue hitch. If the Rayco is electric start put a Schumacher Battery Maintainer on it and you'll be glad you did.

Any time someone wants to watch you work it require that they are 30' away for safety just in case there is a foreign object in the stump or the ground which the grinder could hurl at someone. This month we are grinding stumps in three hayfields using my two walk-behind 13HP grinders. Work is plentiful and life is good! Be safe out there.

Good buying,Make sure to keep the polychain belt and pulleys clean

I steam clean mine every 10-20hrs

Latest posts

Back