First Time Use Husky 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Went out the this morning and tried the saw out a bit. Trouble was the tree I wanted to cut was about 35 feet back in the woods and surrounded by pine dead falls from the pine beetle attack of about three years ago. So I had to spend some time cutting my way back to where the tree was, but the 346 went through the tangle of old dead pines like a hot knife through butter.

I cleared out a little haul road for my garden tractor so I could cart out the wood, cleared around the tree for working space, put a rope on it to make sure it was going to fall where I wanted it too, and I cut down the dead red oak. I guess it's about 20" where I cut it off, a foot above the ground.

It had a lot of twiggy limbs for a red oak. But I limbed it (cut up the limbs) and cut it into blocks, all but about 12 ft of the big end. Then I ran out of my alotted time (three hours). I know I spent three times as much time doing the clearing and prep as I did sawing on the Oak. Didn't use a tank of gas. I think I want to get one of those saw file guides to sharpen this saw with when it needs it. I never had one. Just always did it free hand.

While I know there is no such thing as cutting through a log too fast, I can say the cutting speed of the 346XP made me happy. :clap: That and it does a good job of damping viberations too.

Funny thing, I took my little Poulan Super 250A along to help with the clearing and it wouldn't start. Never hit a lick. It ran fine the last time I used it about two months ago. Some times it takes a while, but it has never failed to start before. Might need a new plug. That one has been in there a long, long, time.

CONGRATS!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I love that new saw feeling, I have just finished building my 046 project, about a week ago, and I don't have a single piece of wood left on my property that isn't going to stay standing. :cry: I Need some wood! Time to call for a log truck load I think. I ran a buddy's 346xp about a month ago, (he just bought his to) and it put a smile on my face. nice saw.

Good for you. The Poulan was jealous; I've seen two-stroke stuff just go sour when a shinier one comes along. It just happens.

Good for you. The Poulan was jealous; I've seen two-stroke stuff just go sour when a shinier one comes along. It just happens.

I never would have thought of that. I wonder....? When I got the Stihl 015AV it didn't do that, but then it could take on the Stihl, and win, and maybe it knew that. Ah, now you got me thinking like a chainsaw! :dizzy:

The 346 gets even better as it gets broken in. I've got about 9 tanks through mine so far and it only seems to get better as I go along.

I'm still puzzled by the compression release however.

Last edited:
The 346 gets even better as it get broken in. I've got about 9 tanks through mine so far and it only seems to get better as I got along.

I'm still puzzled by the compression release however.

Disregard the decomp valve, otherwice your observations seem just right.....

Last edited:
It just seems odd to add a comp release to such a small saw is all. I can see it on my 372XP which can be a hard starting bastard, but the 346 is just so easy to pull in comparison.

Sure wish they were available in Canada, by 154 appears to have passed on to the parts pile :(

Nikko

Last edited:
:agree2: probably the best saw ever made, even some Stihlheads agree on that......

Great saw? Yes! Fast saw? You bet! The best saw EVER made? Not hardly even by Husky standards. Stihlhead? Nope.

Back