First tree I have cut down in several weeks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I cut down a huge old dead locust today. None of my competition seemed to be willing to do this tree, except for thousands of dollars. The only requirement was to get it to the ground and cut it up to 2' pieces. Just one problem...Dead! Bark falling off all over, with obvious decay. There was no easy bucket truck access, either.

There is apparently no work available in this town. This is the first tree I have even had a phone call on for several weeks. NOTHING is happening to help me pay the bills. There is absolutely no snow removal, and the economy has forced all the tree work into obscurity. I think this lady must have called everybody in town.

My customer reported that all the other tree services except one seemed to agree that it was unsafe to climb, and with no bucket truck access, that put everybody out of the market on this tree. She had been several months trying to get one guy to honor his bid of $600, but he never seemed to be able to make it out and finish the job. I suspect that he prudently decided that it was out of his league.

I, using techniques and equipment learned here at AS (at least in part), managed to do the whole thing from the ground. There was no real risk nor high adventure. It did, however, take someone with a bit more knowledge and equipment than the average hack takes with them every morning. For this extra edge over my competition, I would like to thank all my peers at ArboristSite for keeping me well tuned with respect to newer techniques. For those of you who have never thought of doing it this way, give it a try on the next dead tree you shouldn't climb.

I used my Big Shot and throw line to set a pulley high in each branch. Then I hooked my capstan rope winch to it, and pulled until it broke off! By controlling the angle of the pull, I missed all the important targets on the ground. We took out 3 out five of the major leads on the tree using this technique. Then we dropped the trunk and the rest of the tree into the woods, miraculously missing all the small trees in the drop zone. Chop up the pieces, then thank the customer for the check.

$740.00, three guys, 5 hours. No expenses but overhead, a little fuel, and some wages. I would have been done in three hours, but there were a number of complications that were caused by bad luck and lack of training by my help. I did the whole job without any of my experienced help, so I spent a lot of time training the new guys. You'd think they could come to work on the only day we have had in the last three weeks, wouldn't you?

[Part of the bad luck was the honey bees that decided to come out and visit us since it was such a nice day and I was good enough to cut their hive in half. The damn tree was infested with black wasps, too. Until I cut the hive in half, the wasps were worse than the bees.]

Last edited:
Here is what it looked like before:
attachment.php

View attachment 221373

And afterwards:

View attachment 221374
View attachment 221379

In retrospect, there was quite a bit more strength in the tree than I thought, and it would probably been ok to climb. I'm not unhappy that I didn't, though.

Good to see you got some work... I know exactly how you feel walking away saying ah that tree was stronger then you thought... but being able to walk away and say that beats the hell out of not walking away. Had to have you a little nervous rigging off that with inexperienced help?

nice job on the tree, good thing you weren't up there when cutting through the bee hive. anyone get stung bad?

... Had to have you a little nervous rigging off that with inexperienced help?

Nope. Easy Breezy. We just stood back a good distance from the falling parts and gave it heck. In fact, it was pretty cool, 'cause the customer and the neighbors would cheer like crazy when a big limb would break off and come crashing down.

The customer's father was an old tech school educator that formerly taught linemen how to climb poles. He came over and whispered to me that I should have been a teacher. My guys were pretty obviously newbies, but he said he was impressed with how well it all went.

One guy got stung on the back, no real problems. I killed several wasps before they could get me; I have long hair on my arms, and it really trips them up before they can get me.

I have never seen a tree with so many wasps! Almost as many as the bee hive, and they were meaner.

Last edited:
I've done something similar before, run a line up to a big piece of dead wood, through a block at the base of the tree, and broke it out with the truck. Kind of fun really.

Glad your job went well.

Good on you David. Kind of slow here too but I'm making it. If I'm not doing better by the Summer I'm packing up and heading for greener pastures where I know I can make better money. Just hate to leave my hunting, fishing and friends here.

Yup, nice job comming up with a good/safe solution. I probably would have climbed it and free falled the sections, lol. Really though, maybe.......:msp_sneaky:

I pretty much lack experience at climbing dead trees. I did that once, long ago before I knew much about tree work, and pretty much scared the ambition out of me, with respect to climbing dead ones. I will confess that I am probably a little too leary of climbing dead trees.

So far, my very healthy respect for dead trees has not cost me any injuries or very much sales revenue. I figure out a way to get it down without me or one of my employees being one of the dropped items.

Nah, I got his number. Been meaning to call him. He called me right after he went to Joplin, after they got hit. I liked that old codger. Me and him teamed up and made some money together for a little while. I stacked him up with stumps. That is a bad ass Vermeer he has.

Yeah. I kinda want one like it, but they cost way to much.

If that thing isn't working full time, it's costing you money, not making it. Right now, I can't keep 2 chainsaws busy. My chipper truck has the same chips in it for two weeks.

We got it full today; trimming bushes at a customer.

It was funny; you would have laughed your ### off. We did some real redneck tree climbing: no climbing gear. The customer asked me to trim the trees just a little bit, and I had a guy with me that has been wanting to climb. So...I rigged him up with a doubled bowline for a body harness with 3 loops using some thin rope I had in my trunk. He scrambled up the tree 15 feet and cut off 3 branches. I definitely need to spend some time with that boy learning some knots.

We didn't look very professional, but it was good pruning. We should have just waited till tomorrow, and done it all with the Stihl chainsaw-on-a-stick.

Yeah, he's definitely got some money invested in that whole setup with the new truck and all. He did one uprooted stump for me that was standing over 15' with the roots and all. He just started working it down and had it done in about an hour. I think he enjoyed working with us. Said he never got a chance to see the guys climb much. Said that usually that's all over by the time he got there to grind stumps. I even got him on the ropes a time or two.

help

Our little skidsteer is a big help. Or we would still be there doing it by hand. Anybody here at KC want to stump grind? Shot me a pm.

View attachment 223461 I did this ugly nasty bugger a month back it had some very large cracks throughout the whole main trunk. I was able to bomb most of it and the main trunk was 39" across. The tree had ice in the upper past of the main trunk and one of the leads was hollow all the way up. We hit the mother load on grubs for fishing I think around 40. Nice job on the Locust and isn't it kind of cool when you can come up with some new technique that works great and you know you can use it again. I get alot of dead elms here most of the time they are strong but as hard as concrete and tough to spur.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back