First try at splitting...not so much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ShaneLogs

ShaneLogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
if some one is splitting like that, they should not be near wood at all.

split large pieces near the fat of the round (edge) things will go a lot easier.

if using a wedge, keep that kid away....i've seen them fly off the wood at the first hit.

Yes, Those wedges can have a mind of there own!

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
It really is like anything else regarding hand tools - it's mostly technique. I don't care what it is, when using traditional tools the first time you try it usually provokes the same reaction, along the lines of "WTF, this is impossible!". Like using a hand plane or glazing windows with putty. But in time you learn how and low and behold, it is possible. With a high effort task like wood splitting, a lot of it is muscle strength/control and hand-eye coordination. When I get tired I can't hit my mark accurately enough (within 3/8" is my goal) and it really pisses me off. The rest is skill and maintenance of the tools.

Those of us who split a lot of wood usually have a bunch of different tools, and it's not ENTIRELY because we love to collect cool stuff! I've been quartering 30" oak rounds this past week, and I've been using my 8lb maul, a 4-1/2lb axe, a 3-1/2 lb axe, an old "Chopper 1" lever axe, and wedges. I gave up and noodled some too because I could see they had buried knots/grown over branches. Oak is usually pretty easy to split, but these are big, and it turns out the old Chopper 1 was the winner - it was flat busting them up. I still had to use the maul some, and an 8lb is too heavy for me - it works but I can feel my energy dropping fast. An hour of swinging that and I can't hit anything anymore. On different wood, different tools work best.

And of course, "reading the wood" is key. Look for checks (cracks) and go with those. Look for bulges on the side that mark internal defects. If there is a branch don't try to split across it, split right down the middle of it, so that the wood when split will create two butterfly mirror images.

It is a great workout, something I really enjoy. I'll get to the point where I'm ready to fall over after a swing, but I can't resist setting up another one. I find the most important thing is the speed of the axe head - you need to be able to get it moving fast. You do not have to be big to do it well. I was talking to a family friend of ours, a tiny lady in her 60's, about how we both love to split wood and how satisfying it is.

Fedaburger

Fedaburger

ArboristSite Operative
Splitting and stacking is the hardest of the chore. Chainsaws are the fun part of course. By the time I get done though I'm glad to shut that thing down grab some wedges and some sledges a little bit of cold beer. Turn a little classic rock on and take my time out back in the woods by myself. One of these days I might get a splitter but until then a sledge hammer does make the job fairly easy. Start with a small wedge to get started then drive it home with the big wedge. :givebeer:

Latest posts